Tarumba

career advancement and networking after moving countries

38 posts in this topic

Word of advice to all UK expats - do not put your degree grade numerically on your resume (e.g. "2:1"). This reads to a US employer as a 2.1 GPA, which is pretty mediocre! State "Upper Second Class Honors" instead, for instance.

02-18-2009 - I-751 filed (Removal of Conditions)

02-20-2009 - NOA1

03-20-2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03-23-2009 - Touched

06-22-2009 - Removal of Conditions approved (via USPS)

07-01-2009 - Email from USCIS advising of approval

07-06-2009 - Received 10-yr Permanent Resident Card

02-18-2010 - Eligible to file for naturalization

----------------------------------

Disclaimer! Any advice I give is purely informal, and is not legal advice.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

UPDATE ON MY JOB SITUATION!!!!!

Guys, I wanted to tell you I finally got in track career wise, and I think this could be an opportunity for people who are financially covered.

I joined Americorps VISTA! It's a one year program for graduates, and it's sort of volunteer work, but they do give you a stipend of 900 dollars a month. It's awesome because you get serious and "respectable" American work experience, you make a little bit of money, and usually they match you with your career. So now I'm the coordinator of Interpreter Services for Refugee and Immigration Services, and they are training me for interpreting in Health and Legal contexts (with nationwide recognized certification) and I have decided to go to Law School! I am very happy , I finally got my break and feel directed. My boss is awesome and since she knows I'm interested in Law she is giving me a day a week to be the assistant of the lawyer in our office, and I feel like I'm learning so much and getting to know so many interesting people! I see refugees from all over the world and I feel useful, I teach English to peple from burma and Nepal, and I do feel like my professional future has lightened. :dance: :dance:

If you think you could make it with 900 dollars a month, I recommend you joining Americorps VISTA,. It's a branch of the Peace Corps, so it looks awesome on your resume, you are helping, and you are also getting experience in your career. I met so many recent graduates in our orientation trip (they sent me to atlanta). Everbody from marketing people to environmental engineers were involved somehow in projects that interested them!

Just google Americorps VISTA!!!

YAY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

UPDATE ON MY JOB SITUATION!!!!!

Guys, I wanted to tell you I finally got in track career wise, and I think this could be an opportunity for people who are financially covered.

I joined Americorps VISTA! It's a one year program for graduates, and it's sort of volunteer work, but they do give you a stipend of 900 dollars a month. It's awesome because you get serious and "respectable" American work experience, you make a little bit of money, and usually they match you with your career. So now I'm the coordinator of Interpreter Services for Refugee and Immigration Services, and they are training me for interpreting in Health and Legal contexts (with nationwide recognized certification) and I have decided to go to Law School! I am very happy , I finally got my break and feel directed. My boss is awesome and since she knows I'm interested in Law she is giving me a day a week to be the assistant of the lawyer in our office, and I feel like I'm learning so much and getting to know so many interesting people! I see refugees from all over the world and I feel useful, I teach English to peple from burma and Nepal, and I do feel like my professional future has lightened. :dance: :dance:

If you think you could make it with 900 dollars a month, I recommend you joining Americorps VISTA,. It's a branch of the Peace Corps, so it looks awesome on your resume, you are helping, and you are also getting experience in your career. I met so many recent graduates in our orientation trip (they sent me to atlanta). Everbody from marketing people to environmental engineers were involved somehow in projects that interested them!

Just google Americorps VISTA!!!

YAY

Hey this is great news Tarumba! Congratulations!

Time Line

2007-11-10.....Marriage in Ecuador

2008-01-11.....I-130 Sent

2008-04-28.....I-130 Approved

2008-05-02.....NVC Received

2008-08-20.....Case Complete at NVC

2008-10-14.....Interview--221g, asked to present joint sponsor inspite of NVC approval

2008-11-07.....Visa due to arrive. DHL truck delivering visa was robbed, Consulate required us to present I-864s and DS-230 again, had to get a new passport and other related documents

2008-11-14.....Presented all new documents in person at Consulate, visa printed same day

2008-11-25.....POE Atlanta

2008-12-26.....Green Card and 2nd Welcome Letter arrive

2010-09-02.....Date of NOA ROC 1-751

2010-12-13.....Approval of ROC

2011-01-12.....10 year Permanent Resident card arrived

2011-12-20.....N-400 Application mailed

2011-12-29.....NOA

2012-02-02.....Walk-in biometrics (appt was for 2/16)

2012-04-17.....Interview

2012-05-18.....Naturalization Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

A couple things:

Even if you need some coursework, if they are "easy" for you it is possible that your school may allow you to test out of those classes. I'm a US citizen, and I took quite a few tests to get out of a full year of college coursework (all of my math, literature, some foreign language, etc). You should look into this if you really think you could pass the tests.

The others are right -- a degree is insufficient to teach in K-12 schools. Each state has different requirements for reaching teaching certification, but most require a person to have education coursework/student teaching, which will take a year or more of additional school past a standard BA/BS in your field. This might be cheaper for you in the long run, though, instead of getting a Master's or PHD.

Also correct -- you don't stand a chance of teaching at a community college without at least a Master's in your field, and a PHD for university coursework.

Careers in Forestry are hard to come by. The level of demand is pretty low, and you'll find the jobs are often in the middle of BFE (nowhere) or seasonal. The people from the University of Idaho (which is quite big in forestry/government land type jobs) who went for those careers often interned and volunteered for years with no pay just for a shot. But, you could transition into environmental/outdoor education with some additional credentials.

Good luck! It's tough out there, regardless of your education and country of origin. On the job training is almost unheard of these days, and I myself keep staring at job listings wanting too many years of experience and skills I don't have, despite 2 degrees and work experience.

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
The others are right -- a degree is insufficient to teach in K-12 schools. Each state has different requirements for reaching teaching certification, but most require a person to have education coursework/student teaching, which will take a year or more of additional school past a standard BA/BS in your field. This might be cheaper for you in the long run, though, instead of getting a Master's or PHD.

I know this post is a bit old, and the OP was from VA (hampton roads area) and wanted to let them know that most counties/cities in the central va and hampton roads areas have put a "freeze" on hiring and are generally only hiring internally as most counties are dealing with layoffs. The county I work in has laid off people for two years straight (supposedly everyone laid off last year was offered a job somewhere in the school system) but this year we will be laying off about 5-10 teacher per school.

One of the few ways to get into teaching is through teaching special education. You can get a conditional license if you have 9 hours in some basic courses and you can teach special education while continuing your education. Saying that, please also know that special education teachers are starting to get cut as well, so you'll have to look hard for open positions like these. April 15th is the deadline for virginia school systems to let teachers/staff know if they will be laid off or not.

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Filed: Other Country: Gabon
Timeline

Wow , I thought I was the only one in the situation, better I thought it was because I live in a rural area without many opportunities. It is really hard to start your life here in the U.S. , after the immigration battle , the other giant waiting in front of you is integration .I have a Master degree in American History , sent my school transcripts to E.C.E( Education credential evaluators) the results came back that I have what corresponds to a Bachelor here .In my country, I had a good job and I loved my life.All of a sudden moving here,it seems if it's not an american degree it doesn't have a value. Another thing that I've learned, if there's anybody who wants to go back to school and would like to have financial aid , if you have a bachelor , please don't say you have one because on one hand they don't really recognize the non -U.S degree but at the same time when you apply for financial aid you are not eligible for a grant because of your bachelor, not that you're trying to take advantage of the system but because it does not really matter, I learned it the hard way,the college or university would want you to start over anyway so if they want you to start over then they should pay for that by giving you a grant.I intended to go back to school to study something in the healthcare industry , it seems that's where the jobs are now but not a nurse, I can't stand blood or sadness but my only choice right now is student loans and the cheapest route is through a community college. my thoughts to you out there is you'll have many obstacles but don't give up . If you can't drive, get a licence , that's also a little battle but you can do it, I did. I almost forgot , do any volunteer work that you can find around, it helps when you apply for scholarships. Right now, I put my degree aside, I have a job at walmart , a cashier with health insurance , that helps a lot and I just had an interview to work at a school as a teacher aide and then the school should send me to college for a year, hopefully It will be ok, I'll have the answer in a few days. The homesickness never goes away completely, I've been here for almost 5 years but I still cry, I still miss my mom and sisters, my whole family. I took the Compass test to go back to school , waiting for answers from the different scholarships that I applied for. In short , keep busy despite the obstacles, keep moving forward, Where I live ,there are not many black people, very rarely you meet one. Thank God, everybody is so nice to me in this little town, my co-workers are awesome, they don't make me feel different, my church here is wonderful. I know it's just a detail but I feel it's important to mention that. Don't give up otherwise you'll go crazy . Life is overwhelming here but don't let it get to you, cry and pray and stand up when you fall. Sorry for the long post!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Hey this is great news Tarumba! Congratulations!

ATTENTION I forgot to tell you the most important part!!!!! :whistle::unsure:

After you are done with the year of volunteering, they will give you a small prize of 5000 dollars towards any kind of valid university education! Plus, if you have student debts, they have some benefits for the interests, too (I didn't really pay attention since i don't have any)

They offer good insurance, and plenty of benefits, and graduate degrees love them becuase apparently they have a very good reputation! I can't say it enough, register and see if they need you! :star:

PLEASE find out about it, it's a good opportunity.

AMERICORPS VISTA

Good luck to all of you! And don't be discouraged! I suffered for about a year working at a gas station, it WILL get better! Try any road that becomes available. I'll pray for you too!

Edited by Tarumba

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.