RandyF

Certificate of citizenship question on I-129F

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry guys if this question has been asked many times but i cannot find the answer.. I was filling out my form(petitioner) on I-129F and on question number 10 regarding citizenship.. I marked birth in the U.S. and there's a question that stated "Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your name?".. Are you just going to answer that question when you marked "Parents" or do I still need to answer it when I marked Birth in the U.S.? Thanks guys!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Sorry guys if this question has been asked many times but i cannot find the answer.. I was filling out my form(petitioner) on I-129F and on question number 10 regarding citizenship.. I marked birth in the U.S. and there's a question that stated "Have you obtained a certificate of citizenship in your name?".. Are you just going to answer that question when you marked "Parents" or do I still need to answer it when I marked Birth in the U.S.? Thanks guys!

I'm kinda stuck there too. I'm naturalized, but I"m not sure wether I should check "parents" or not?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

i checked what my fiance did, he just ticked birth in the U.S, so that should be fine.

i have a question for you, as a petitioner, was the I-129F the only form you sent? what other documents (if any) did you have to send with the I-129F???

thanks so much

Timeline

Hi

i checked what my fiance did, he just ticked birth in the U.S, so that should be fine.

i have a question for you, as a petitioner, was the I-129F the only form you sent? what other documents (if any) did you have to send with the I-129F???

thanks so much

Hi there. Go to the top of the page and go to Guides then follow the K-1 flowchart. That will tell you all the documents that you need to send. Read the instructions carefully and make sure that you send everything they ask for to avoid any delays in your process. Good luck. Mike

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Timeline

Hi

thanks so much

Just checked your timeline. Looked like you have already sent the 129 and received your Noa1. Is that all you sent?

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The point of question 10 is to determine what proof of US citizenship will be acceptable from the petitioner.

If you were born in the US then tick "Birth in the U.S.", and leave the rest of question 10 blank.

If you are a naturalized US citizen then tick "Naturalization", and provide your Certificate of Naturalization number in the box immediately below the tick box. Leave the rest of question 10 blank.

If you were born in a foreign country, and acquired your citizenship through a US citizen parent, then tick "Parents". In this case, if you have a Certificate of Citizenship in your name then tick "Yes", and provide the certificate number in the box immediately below the tick box. Otherwise, tick "No". Leave the rest of question 10 blank.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
The point of question 10 is to determine what proof of US citizenship will be acceptable from the petitioner.

If you were born in the US then tick "Birth in the U.S.", and leave the rest of question 10 blank.

If you are a naturalized US citizen then tick "Naturalization", and provide your Certificate of Naturalization number in the box immediately below the tick box. Leave the rest of question 10 blank.

If you were born in a foreign country, and acquired your citizenship through a US citizen parent, then tick "Parents". In this case, if you have a Certificate of Citizenship in your name then tick "Yes", and provide the certificate number in the box immediately below the tick box. Otherwise, tick "No". Leave the rest of question 10 blank.

Thank you for your time to reply JimVaPhuong. Your reply is very helpful.. God bless!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

thanks so much

Just checked your timeline. Looked like you have already sent the 129 and received your Noa1. Is that all you sent?

Hiya!! :-)

yes thats all he sent!! (doh) so i know we will get a RFE luckily for me he travels to UK ALL the time for work so we can do stuff together. but the thing is, with modern technology n all...... we dont really have a lot of proof of communication! he hates emailing so we avoid that, and normally we either use skype to talk or he uses his work phone! what do we do?? the only thing we really have is some photos!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Just to confirm, as discussed in another thread today, the above is exactly correct. It is OK and even expected to leave sections of item 10 blank. It's pretty difficult to cover all possibilities of how to use "NONE" or "N/A" when they actually are not needed to provide clarity as long as the correct boxes are checked.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Okay so I was born in Indonesia. When my dad received his Citizenship, me and my sister automatically received ours because of my dad. I have the certificate under my name though. So do I still check PARENT? and put my info under that? or do I put it under Naturalization?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

so are you saying that if you were born in another country and became citizen through parents, it is possible/acceptable to not have a cert. citizenship number?

i was 2 months old when i came to USA...i dont know if i am supposed to have a number or not....my parents dont remember me getting any certificate

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Okay so I was born in Indonesia. When my dad received his Citizenship, me and my sister automatically received ours because of my dad. I have the certificate under my name though. So do I still check PARENT? and put my info under that? or do I put it under Naturalization?

You derived your citizenship through your parents, so you probably have a certificate of citizenship and not a certificate of naturalization. You would check "Parents" and provide your certificate number.

so are you saying that if you were born in another country and became citizen through parents, it is possible/acceptable to not have a cert. citizenship number?

i was 2 months old when i came to USA...i dont know if i am supposed to have a number or not....my parents dont remember me getting any certificate

It's possible. If you were born in another country and one of your parents was a US citizen at the time, then you are a citizen by birth. Your citizenship could be established by filing a consular report of birth abroad, or CRBA. You could get a certificate of citizenship at that time, but it's not required. If your US citizen parent didn't file a CRBA on your behalf, you can still prove your relationship to that parent, and obtain your citizenship on your own by applying for the certificate of citizenship. You can also obtain citizenship as a derivative of a parent who obtains citizenship, in which case you may or may not have a certificate, depending on when you became a citizen. The certificate of citizenship is never required, but you would want to apply for one if you had no other proof of your citizenship.

In any case, there are a number of situations where you could have acquired US citizenship through one or both parents and NOT have a certificate of citizenship. If you have a US passport or other proof of citizenship then you don't need the certificate, but you could still get one if you wanted it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.