7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello fellow members i need your goodness advice and ideas for us.. can my husband claim me as a dependent on his taxes if im still living in the philippines or can he file married instead of single even though im still living in the philippines and dont have social security number? please advice us..thank you advance

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hello fellow members i need your goodness advice and ideas for us.. can my husband claim me as a dependent on his taxes if im still living in the philippines or can he file married instead of single even though im still living in the philippines and dont have social security number? please advice us..thank you advance

Hi There,

My wife was still there in India while I filed my Taxes, and it is not possible as well as even if it is possible it is not recommended to do so. The reason is as you mentioned that you do not leave here and more than that you do not have SSN.

And even if you guys are married, He should file his taxes as single and not married. That's what I did.

Hope this helps....

Edited by DesiDon

iq6vfhzt.png

------------

USCIS *IR-1 Visa* Journey

Service Center : California Service Center

2009-02-25 : I-130 Received

2009-03-04 : NOA1 Approved

2009-03-07 : Received NOA1 Hard Copy

2009-03-19 : NOA2 Approved

2009-03-24 : NOA2 Arrives in mail

NVC Journey - (p) 1-603-334-0700

2009-04-13 : Case Number Assigned

2009-04-15 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-04-15 : AOS PAID (online)

2009-04-17 : AOS Payments accepted and Coversheet generated.

2009-04-17 : AOS package sent to NVC

2009-04-20 : DS-3032 Hard copy sent to NVC

2009-04-22 : AOS package accepted by NVC

2009-04-24 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2009-04-24 : IV bill PAID

2009-04-26 : IV Fees accepted and Coversheet generated.

2009-06-18 : DS-230 sent to NVC

2009-07-01 : case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

2009-07-13 : File sent to Bombay embassy

2009-08-06 : Medical

2009-08-24 : Interview Visa Approved

2009-08-24 : Visa in Hand

2009-08-28 : POE - EWR - Newark, NJ

2009-08-28 : EXCITING JOURNEY OF LIFETIME BEGINS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

He can't claim you while you are living abroad and don't have a Social Security number. Sorry, it sucks.

07/15/08- Married in Accra, Ghana

08/14/08- I130 SENT!!!

08/19/08- Recieved

08/25/08- NOA1

~~

NOTHING HAPPENED FOR 4 MONTHS!!!!

~~

12/27/08- Notice of case transfer to California

01/26/09- Found out all at once that USCIS approved our petition AND sent it to the NVC, got NVC case number as well.

04/03/09- CASE COMPLETE!!!!!!!

Waiting......waiting......waiting!! :(

10/30/09- INTERVIEW NOTIFICATION!!!!!

12/10/09- Interview in ACCRA!

Co-sponsor needed-NVC approved my sponsorship, USEM required more. :( So sad.

12/30/09- Return interview-APPROVED!!!!!!!!!

01/15/10- VISA IN HAND!!!!!

01/17/10- REUNITED in the USA!!!!!

SO happy to have my hubby here! Sorry I didn't update, once he came, I spent very little time online. The journey is SO SO HARD, but SOOOOO WORTH IT!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yes, your husband could claim you as a dependent and file joint tax return.

He wll need to file the W-7 form and apply the tax ID for you because you don't have the social security number.

You need to send him a ceritified copy of your passport and he needs to attach it to your joint tax return.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As others have said, you can get an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) and you can file a joint return.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

ITIN is the way to go. We did that this past year and filed before Trisha was in the US and before she got a SSN. It was no problem. Just a few extra forms. Also you can be claimed as being a resident for the entire year but that also means your global income is taxable. Check out prior posts earlier in 2009 by searching for ITIN within VJ.

Love forever,

Dale & Trisha

Married: 9/29/2008

K3 Visa

POE-MSP: 3/13/2009

AOS/EAD

Greencard received: 08/29/2009

Removal of Conditions:

Approved: 10/20/2011

Citizenship

9/19/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.