vaguy78

N-400 application rejected.. Help with fees

16 posts in this topic

Folks - Unknowingly I marked in two check-boxes for section 2 of the application (eligibility) and my application was rejected. Before resending I have a few questions and hopefully i get answers soon.

i) I see my checked being used to withdraw money - will I have to resend another check with the updated application? Will I get charged another $675? :crying:

ii) This is marriage based submission for my wife, so do I have to include my birth certificate along with the application?

iii) I have copies of tax return (Federal only) - do i need state as well? Also do we need to sign the copies?

I know there may be answers buried somewhere in other posts, but please help. I hope I don't have to pay the money again.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Folks - Unknowingly I marked in two check-boxes for section 2 of the application (eligibility) and my application was rejected. Before resending I have a few questions and hopefully i get answers soon.

i) I see my checked being used to withdraw money - will I have to resend another check with the updated application? Will I get charged another $675? :crying:

I'm sorry, I have no idea whether you will have to send another cheque or not. Did they return the original application package without the cheque or did they keep the package and deny the application? If they returned the package it may be worth a try to re-submit it without sending another cheque, mentioning to them that they have already received the cheque. If they just denied the application then you would need to refile with a new fee.

ii) This is marriage based submission for my wife, so do I have to include my birth certificate along with the application?

Yes, a copy of the US citizen's birth certificate should be included to prove eligibility for the 3 year option.

iii) I have copies of tax return (Federal only) - do i need state as well? Also do we need to sign the copies?

If you are including your own tax records you need to send the complete return plus all of the attachments. State taxes are not necessary (we didn't send State taxes). The easiest thing to do is to request tax transcripts from the IRS and include those- they are provided at no cost. It is best to sign everything where a signature is required on the original.

I know there may be answers buried somewhere in other posts, but please help. I hope I don't have to pay the money again.

Thanks

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We downloaded unsigned copies of our returns from TurboTax to send with the application. My wife will be taking IRS tax transcrips with her to the interview.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

I'm sorry, I have no idea whether you will have to send another cheque or not. Did they return the original application package without the cheque or did they keep the package and deny the application? If they returned the package it may be worth a try to re-submit it without sending another cheque, mentioning to them that they have already received the cheque. If they just denied the application then you would need to refile with a new fee.

Yes, a copy of the US citizen's birth certificate should be included to prove eligibility for the 3 year option.

If you are including your own tax records you need to send the complete return plus all of the attachments. State taxes are not necessary (we didn't send State taxes). The easiest thing to do is to request tax transcripts from the IRS and include those- they are provided at no cost. It is best to sign everything where a signature is required on the original.

Thanks

On a personal note, when i applied, I Typed my name on the the application form on the signature part instead of printing it out and signing by hard. That got the nice forks at the immigration to send me my application back with a rejection NOA. it stated that i needed to sign it and resubmit. The only Good thing about my rejection letter was they sent the whole package back including my cheque and pass port photos. They didn;t cash my cheque.

I agree with Kathryn41

I would try re send the second one without the cheque and include a cover letter explaining the same. The worst case scenario, they will return your application to you and then you can resend it back with the fee if that's the case!!

I hope you don't have to pay the fee twice!

Good luck!!

Poisontee!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 Naturalization Timeline San Antonio field office

06/07/2009 - Sent Application via USPS certified mail

06/10/2009- Delivered.

06/12/2009 - Check Cashed

06/19/2009 - Received NOA, PD 6/10, ND 6/11

06/22/2009 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

07/02/2009 - Biometrics Appointment. Done! 7/2/09

07/13/2009 - Received Interview Letter Appointment

08/24/2009 - Interview Date

10/13/2009 - Oath Appointment Letter Received

10/22/2009 - Oath Ceremony Date. US Citizen!!

10/26/2009 - Mailed in Application for Passport

11/06/2009 - Passport Received!!!!

Unfortunately it seems like USCIS does this. I feel bad for you and think its unethical for USCIS to cash checks without doing a preliminary investigation into basic eligibility. I would contact a lawyer for consultation only. He could recommend an appeal or reapplication. I think in your case though you'll probably have to re-apply

****MY MOM'S JOURNEY****

Sponsorship

05/13/2011 Sent I-130 Form for Mother

09/28/2011 NOA2 - I-130approved

10/19/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned

****MY JOURNEY****

Citizenship

06/10/2009 Sent N-400 to TX

07/14/2009 Biometrics Date

09/02/2009 Interview at Mount Laurel Office - verbal approval :)

10/26/2009 Oath Ceremony...Officially a CITIZEN

10/26/2009 Applied for a US Passport

Removing Conditions

06/09/2008 Mailed I-751 Packet, Removal of Conditions on Residence

07/23/2008 Biometrics Done

02/11/2009 Case transferred to CSC

03/23/2009 Case Transferred to Newark, NJ, Awaiting Interview.

06/25/2009 Interview...APPROVED!!!...Never Received 10 year GC

AOS

03/24/2006 Sent AOS Forms (I-130, I-485, I-765)

04/18/2006 Biometrics Processed

05/13/2006 RFE for I-485 processing (need I-864)

06/20/2006 Sent in RFE

07/22/2006 Recieved EAD card

09/06/2006 AOS Interview...APPROVED

09/18/2006 Got my PR Card

Timeline

If USCIS didn't return the check then call your bank and put a stop pay on the check ASAP!

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
If USCIS didn't return the check then call your bank and put a stop pay on the check ASAP!

What and get in more hot water?

From the N-400 instructions:

"Any Form N-400 that is not signed or accompanied by the correct fee will be rejected with a notice that the Form N-400 is deficient. You may correct the deficiency and resubmit the Form N-400. An application or petition is not considered properly filed until accepted by USCIS.

Initial processing. Once a Form N-400 has been accepted, it will be checked for completness, including submission of the required initial evidence. If you do not completely fill out the form, or file it without required initial evidence, you will not establish a basis for eligibility and we may deny your Form N-400."

Correct your form and resubmit it and read all of the instructions!!!! You must also submit all required evidence as listed in the M-476.

And others, quit giving bad advice.

Timeline

IF they rejected it, they should have returned the check uncashed to the OP. IF they didn't return it, then the OP should put a stop pay on that check and send a new one with the resubmitted application.

To me it seems a better option than potentially being charged twice for the same application.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I may be wrong, But I think I read the post to say that the check had already cleared the bank. My guess is they had already grabbed the check before they realized there was a problem. I would simply correct the problem and send the package back with a letter explaining what happened.

I think you are worrying about something that is not a problem. Just correct the mistake.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

IF they rejected it, they should have returned the check uncashed to the OP. IF they didn't return it, then the OP should put a stop pay on that check and send a new one with the resubmitted application.

To me it seems a better option than potentially being charged twice for the same application.

Big negatory there!

USCIS refunds a filing fee only in the case of service error.1 For example, USCIS returns filing fees to customers where a service official incorrectly instructed an individual to file for a certain benefit. Currently, applicants claim a refund either by calling the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) toll free number or by making a written request to their local USCIS district office. They must describe the error, provide the alien record number, and list the form type. USCIS District Adjudication Officers (DAOs) review the refund requests.

1 USCIS Adjudicator’s Field Manual §10.10, “Refund of Fees” (June 18, 2007).

If they denied the application, you just forfeited the fee. If you believe USCIS made an error (not in this case), then you have to go through their procedures to get a refund.

Trying to cancel the check could put you in hot water with the USCIS and any future dealings with them.

If they simply rejected it, you could attempt to resend it, but they would of had a letter explaining that. So it leads me to believe you were denied, so no refund for you. (perhaps)

To the OP - call USCIS - make an INFOPASS and see what you can sort out with this.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I find the post a little cryptic. He diod use te word "rejected". He really doesn't say that there was not a letter. I see he hasn't been back since he posted and started getting answers. I would like to follow this experience to conclusion.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline

There's a difference between a rejection and a denial. If they reject it, they are aupposed to return the file without cashing the check. If they deny it, then the applicant forfeits the fee and has to pay again.

If they rejected the case but cashed the check, then the OP can send evidence that payment was already made when re-submitting the filing.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The primary objective is not to have your application denied nor rejected, while the instructions give estimates on how long it takes to fill out the form, can be easily 10-20 as long if you include reading the M-476 manual and read and comprehend the instruction sheet, both work hand in hand. If you are not 100% how to answer a question, seek help, either this board or a good attorney. And supply more evidence than what is asked for in particular if filing with the marriage three year privilege. Seem to be more concerned about that then the civics or English test.

The process should start the day the applicant receives their first green card, was lucky to have a good attorney that highly recommended to download both the I-751 and N-400 forms. After that long hassle with AOS, you get the false impression, it's all over, when in fact, you are just getting started. This gives you time to prepare to meet all the requirements. If you wait to the last minute to learn what has to be done, in many instances, you quickly learn you cannot turn back the clock.

We had a tax benefit by filing a joint return, but if it did save a couple of bucks to file a separate return, more than likely would have filed a joint return to please the USCIS. It's all about pleasing the USCIS. Or leaving the country and staying out one day too long. How are you suppose to know all this stuff if you wait until the last minute?

Also drive carefully, big brother is watching you, not exactly sure how to overthrow the government, but be careful what organizations you may be tempted to join, in other words, you have to be good and pay all of your taxes for that three year period. Then you can be naughty if you want to, LOL.

Timeline

The application was rejected because the OP checked two boxes instead of one for eligibility by mistake. I don't think their objective was to have the case rejected or denied. I think they just made a mistake.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.