10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the best place to come .I am in the process of filing in a petition for my soon to be Wife who is in Nigeria right now.I am Nigerian too and and american citizen now .Been living in America for close to 10 years now.

I came here on a visiting Visa and later met and married another Nigerian lady but we got divorced like 6 years ago.

My ex wife filed for me while we were still married and i got my permanent residency through my first marriage.

Over the past 4 years, i met a nice lady whom i cared for and we both fell in love.We got engaged 3 years ago on my trip to Nigeria and i have been to Nigeria three more time to see my baby.

We planning on getting married sometime next year and i plan to file a petition for her to join me here.

I will like some advice on what to do , Shouls i file a K3 or a CR 1?what to look out for.?.

I know this can be a long process but all advice is needed to prepare.

Chris

I posted this in the sub-sharan forum but instead of getting advices, i was being attacked by a STUPID lady who thought i was her EX...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, to even file the K3 you MUST file the CR1. So the I-130 is the first step. I suggest reading the guides to determine which is more suited to your needs, the K3 or the CR1. At this point in time, they're both being approved at the same time, so you aren't really saving yourself a lot of time by going for the K3. Also, the K3 has some drawbacks once she's here. For example, you would need to apply to adjust her status and for work authorization. In total you're looking at about another $1010. CR1 visa holders enter with the ability to work. So you're saving yourself a few hundred dollars.

HELLO... IM MARY FROM COLOMBIA. MY HUSBAND IS FROM TEXAS AND HE WILL BE STARTING THE PROCESS SOON CR1.. WHEN HE GETS THERE.. HE IS WITH ME IN COLOMBIA NOW.. AND WE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PAPERS OR DOCUMENTS NEED TO GIVE HIM FOR START ALL IN GOOD WAY ... I WISH TO BE WITH HIM SOON AND START OUR LIFE THERE.

THANKS YOU AND GOD BLESS U, ALL. :thumbs:

Edited by MR&MRSWILDTXS

HELLO... IM MARY FROM COLOMBIA. MY HUSBAND IS FROM TEXAS AND HE WILL BE STARTING THE PROCESS SOON CR1.. WHEN HE GETS THERE.. HE IS WITH ME IN COLOMBIA NOW.. AND WE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PAPERS OR DOCUMENTS NEED TO GIVE HIM FOR START ALL IN GOOD WAY ... I WISH TO BE WITH HIM SOON AND START OUR LIFE THERE.

THANKS YOU AND GOD BLESS U, ALL. :thumbs:

As always READ the CR1/K3 guides. And validate all information you get.

This is from the cover letter I sent. I would recommend downloading the I-130 and fill out the information

and download and fill out the G-235a (Especially for MARY) as it needs her signature.

□ Check

□ I-130 petition filed by USC, petitioner on behalf of ALIEN, beneficiary

□ I-130 addendum (additional information in support of I-130)

□ Copy of Birth Certificate of USC

□ Copy of Birth Certificate of ALIEN

□ Copy of Marriage Certificate (copy from church – much clearer)

□ Copy of Marriage Certificate (copy of the registered marriage license from the local register)

□ G-325a Completed by USC - United States Citizen

□ G-325a Completed by USC - Addendum

□ Passport type picture of USC

□ G-325a Completed by ALIEN

□ G-325a Completed by ALIEN - Addendum

□ Passport type Picture of ALIEN

□ Proof of Bona Fide Marriage (Note: Married on xx/xx/09)

□ Selection of Pictures that document relationship, wedding and marriage

Good Luck,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Don't bother with the K3 process, it will just create headaches for you down the road and cost more money. The CR1 is an immigrant visa and K# is a NON immigrant visa. Your wife will be able to work when she arrives without having to file for employment authorization and she will also not have to adjust her status with a CR1. With the K3 she will not be able to work right away, she will need to get a work authorization and adjust status, which will cost a little over $1000 more dollars and add several more months the the process of getting her greencard.

Many people think the K3 is a little faster but the time for the I130 petition and the I129f petition to reach approval at USCIS is the same. CR1 will have a more immediate benefit for you and your wife.

I would suggest only filing an I130 petition so that you spouse will later apply for a CR1 visa.

Best Wishes on your journey.

Married: 02/12/2009

Mailed I130 (Chicago Lockbox): 04/23/2009

I130 Received (Chicago Lockbox): 04/26/2009

I130 Received CSC: 04/30/2009

I130 Processed CSC: 04/30/2009

NOA1 Mailed: 04/30/2009

Check Cashed: 05/04/2009

Touch1: 05/05/2009

Touch2: 05/14/2009Touch3: 05/15/2009 Address change online?

Touch4: 05/22/2009Touch5: 05/26/2009 Called to check on address change, change made over the phone?

Touch6: 08/11/2009 Hopefully beginning to be processedTouch7: 08/12/2009

Touch8: 08/20/2009 RFE !! Response 09/01/2009

Touch9: 09/14/2009 Touch10: 09/21/2009

I130 APPROVED!! 09/21/2009

NVC case # assigned: 10/02/2009

BABY GIRL BORN 10/5/2009!!!

AOS bill generated:10/14/2009 Paid 10/15/2009

DS3032 e-mailed and mailed:10/21/2009

I864 mailed:10/22/2009

DS3032 accepted:11/09/2009

Received checklist letter for missing ds230: 11/09/2009

IV bill generated/paid/IV docs overnighted to NVC: 11/10/2009

IV docs received 11/12/2009

AVR:all docs received: 11/19/2009

SIGN IN FAILED!! 11/28/2009 woot woot!!

CASE COMPLETE!! 11/30/2009

Received Interview Letter: 12/02/2009

INTERVIEW: JANUARY 12, 2010

APPROVED!!! : 01/11/2010 interviewed after medical on 11th

POE JFK : 02/11/2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks guys for all your advice,It seem like a lot but i will read more and ask questions when i seem lost.Also, do you think i should get a lawyer

If neither one of you have a police record or any thing like that, then I would think you don't need one. Unless you aren't sure of your command of the English language. Getting a lawyer will slow the process down as you will be getting all of the info for him/her anyways, so if you can gather the info and put it in the right places on the forms, then do it yourself.

Edited by MikeMc

I dont think so..Once you have been legally divorced , i dont see any qualms.Most of these lawyers are rip offs..You will do good with advices on these forum ..Just ask and people will guide you in the right direction.Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.