ScottThuy

K1/K3 Preparation for HCMC interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Please add to the list to help both myself and others to prepare for the interrogation…

Questions about Petitioner ( I often say him/he):

Where did he go to school? University? Degree?

Does he have any pets?

What does he do? Where?

How long at the job?

What is boss name?

How much $ does he make?

Was he in military? How long? When?

What does he drive?

What are his hobbies?

Who are his friends? Names?

Where does he live? Address?

What is the city like? Weather? Geographic area?

How many rooms in his home? Single family or apt?

Who does he live with?

What are his parents names?

Where do parents live?

When did you meet his family first?

When did they come to VN?

Any siblings? Names? Ages? Where live? Nieces/nephews?

Does he have children?

How old and names of children? Live with him? Why?

Divorced? When? Why? How long married? Where does ex live? Did you meet ex?

How many times did he visit VN?

Did you travel together? When ? Where? How long? How?

Have you ever had argument or fight with OP? Where? Why? When?

How did you meet? When? Where?

Who introduced you? What relation to OP? How does he know the person that introduced you?

When did petitioner meet OP Family?

When was Dam Hoi? How many people? Where? If no dam hoi.. why not?

When did Petitioner propose? Where were you? How was it done.. in person, phone, email? Did she accept initially?if not then when?

When did you get engagement ring? How much did it cost? Where purchased?

After you met when did you start communicating? Who initiated and how?

How many times has Petitioner been to VN? Dates? Why? Where did he stay?

How many times have you seen Petitioner?

Has petitioner ever been in Jail/ trouble with law? Why? When?

How do you normally communicate? How often? What is his phone #?

How many children will you have? When?

When will you be married? Where?

Where will you live?

Does he speak Vietnamese?

How tall is he?

What is his favorite food? Viet food?

What will you do when you arrive US? (Work- School-etc)

What religion is he?

Does he have relatives in VN? If she has relatives in US Any info about them is important…

Questions about applicant can be the same as above but change it around and ask the other way. Example: instead of Does he speak Vietnamese.. Do you speak English? So each person can go through them and create a study guide for the other or at least to be sure that both parties are in agreement on how things happened. Memories can become blurred when you are in love and enjoying time together…and don't forget the fact that these things may have happened a year or more ago. Try to talk about the questions and answers as often as possible while waiting for NOA2 and eventually the interview.

Document everything along the way and save anything that relates to the relationship or visits.

Remember that much of the information to answer the above questions was provided in 129F, 325A and came up during the background checks… Don’t think they don’t know anything about you…. They may know more than your friends do about you. An example: If you got a DUI 25 years ago.. they know about it and will likely tell her at the inetrview... or they may ask her about it.. So be up front with her about everything not matter how insignificant it may seem. It only takes a little discrepancy to get you a blue slip or a denial and return to USCIS. So practice.. practice practice and be prepared

From what I have read, I see these common reasons for denial:

Insufficient documentation/preparation. including timeline, supporting docs, and list of relatives in US.

Not together enough or apart too much.

Questionable meeting circumstances.

Insufficient finances to sponsor (no co-sponsors allowed)

Please add to this if there are other frequent causes...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Please add to the list to help both myself and others to prepare for the interrogation…

Questions about Petitioner ( I often say him/he):

Where did he go to school? University? Degree?

Does he have any pets?

What does he do? Where?

How long at the job?

What is boss name?

How much $ does he make?

Was he in military? How long? When?

What does he drive?

What are his hobbies?

Who are his friends? Names?

Where does he live? Address?

What is the city like? Weather? Geographic area?

How many rooms in his home? Single family or apt?

Who does he live with?

What are his parents names?

Where do parents live?

When did you meet his family first?

When did they come to VN?

Any siblings? Names? Ages? Where live? Nieces/nephews?

Does he have children?

How old and names of children? Live with him? Why?

Divorced? When? Why? How long married? Where does ex live? Did you meet ex?

How many times did he visit VN?

Did you travel together? When ? Where? How long? How?

Have you ever had argument or fight with OP? Where? Why? When?

How did you meet? When? Where?

Who introduced you? What relation to OP? How does he know the person that introduced you?

When did petitioner meet OP Family?

When was Dam Hoi? How many people? Where? If no dam hoi.. why not?

When did Petitioner propose? Where were you? How was it done.. in person, phone, email? Did she accept initially?if not then when?

When did you get engagement ring? How much did it cost? Where purchased?

After you met when did you start communicating? Who initiated and how?

How many times has Petitioner been to VN? Dates? Why? Where did he stay?

How many times have you seen Petitioner?

Has petitioner ever been in Jail/ trouble with law? Why? When?

How do you normally communicate? How often? What is his phone #?

How many children will you have? When?

When will you be married? Where?

Where will you live?

Does he speak Vietnamese?

How tall is he?

What is his favorite food? Viet food?

What will you do when you arrive US? (Work- School-etc)

What religion is he?

Does he have relatives in VN? If she has relatives in US Any info about them is important…

Questions about applicant can be the same as above but change it around and ask the other way. Example: instead of Does he speak Vietnamese.. Do you speak English? So each person can go through them and create a study guide for the other or at least to be sure that both parties are in agreement on how things happened. Memories can become blurred when you are in love and enjoying time together…and don't forget the fact that these things may have happened a year or more ago. Try to talk about the questions and answers as often as possible while waiting for NOA2 and eventually the interview.

Document everything along the way and save anything that relates to the relationship or visits.

Remember that much of the information to answer the above questions was provided in 129F, 325A and came up during the background checks… Don’t think they don’t know anything about you…. They may know more than your friends do about you. An example: If you got a DUI 25 years ago.. they know about it and will likely tell her at the inetrview... or they may ask her about it.. So be up front with her about everything not matter how insignificant it may seem. It only takes a little discrepancy to get you a blue slip or a denial and return to USCIS. So practice.. practice practice and be prepared

From what I have read, I see these common reasons for denial:

Insufficient documentation/preparation. including timeline, supporting docs, and list of relatives in US.

Not together enough or apart too much.

Questionable meeting circumstances.

Insufficient finances to sponsor (no co-sponsors allowed)

Please add to this if there are other frequent causes...

MAIN reason we were denied was for not having pictures with me and benes family plus having only made one trip. Proof of having a bonafide relationship is the BIGGY.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
MAIN reason we were denied was for not having pictures with me and benes family plus having only made one trip. Proof of having a bonafide relationship is the BIGGY.

Zactly.. insufficient supporting documentation and not enough time together...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

I forgot a huge reason for denial... Those that have had a previous application for example got k1 got married and got divorced to return to VN or the sponsor had gone through it before... The CO's look at them as having had a chance already... reluctant to give a second one without overwhelming evidence...

If this is the case for you... understand that it will be an uphill battle...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I forgot a huge reason for denial... Those that have had a previous application for example got k1 got married and got divorced to return to VN or the sponsor had gone through it before... The CO's look at them as having had a chance already... reluctant to give a second one without overwhelming evidence...

Dear Scott

I wuold like ask you that mean ,i can married one time for k1 only doesn't matter what? right please explain and let me know please

Thank you

John

Timeline

Dear Scott

I wuold like ask you that mean ,i can married one time for k1 only doesn't matter what? right please explain and let me know please

Thank you

John

If either you or her had K1 or K3 before.. it will make them look at you more and ask more questions. Other people have married 1 time on K1 and divorce and remarry on K1 again not many problems.. other people have been denied with no visa... If you have K1 before.. be sure you have strong proof of relationship and you both agree on every answer to questions they may ask and that answer will match information they have.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dear Scott

Thank you

John

If either you or her had K1 or K3 before.. it will make them look at you more and ask more questions. Other people have married 1 time on K1 and divorce and remarry on K1 again not many problems.. other people have been denied with no visa... If you have K1 before.. be sure you have strong proof of relationship and you both agree on every answer to questions they may ask and that answer will match information they have.

Dear scott

Thank you so much for your information may ia ve your phone here my phone 760-481-9778 please give a call i wuold like to tell you some things

john

Timeline

Sent you PM

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The CO does not want someone to come in a recite a biography of the petitioner. The CO will ask the same question more than once to make sure that the same answer is given. This is not the CO being mean. They are doing their job. They expect a natural response. They do expect nerves.

Make sure your fiance(e)/spouse is feeling confident going into the interview. Being too nervous has caused blue slips in some cases. They have a lot of pressure on them going into the interview. DO NOT add to that pressure. Be supportive and do your job in preparing your loved one for the interview.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow, Charlotte could be in for a tough time! Between deployment and leave schedules I haven't even made it to Australia yet, our parents managed to meet each other but we haven't been introduced yet. I think I should definitely make the effort to go visit and be there for the interview

Happily married, waiting to file to remove conditions on permanent residence in next 2 years.

Timeline
Wow, Charlotte could be in for a tough time! Between deployment and leave schedules I haven't even made it to Australia yet, our parents managed to meet each other but we haven't been introduced yet. I think I should definitely make the effort to go visit and be there for the interview

I suspect they wont be as rigorous as HCMC in evaluation... but I don't think she can be too familiar with you...

• 1 year later...
Timeline

What does OP stand for? I suddenly brain froze.

07/2001 .............Met Huong when she's 14

01/23/10 ............Re-Met through Family, spoke on Skype.

Visa Journey

CR-1 Visa Journey

10/20/10 ............VN w/ Dad & Son

11/05/10 ............Married

01/25/11 ............I-130 sent (Chicago Lockbox)

01/27/11 ............I-130 delivered

01/27/11.............NOA1

03/07/11.............Touched

03/08/11 ............Back in US for Federal 2011 Taxes

03/26/11 ............Ultrasound - BABY BOY

05/24/11 ............Request for Evidence (E-Notice/Online Verified)

05/26/11 ............RFE Rec & Sent - Wanted 2 Copy Certified Divorce Decree

06/06/11 ............NOA2 Online - NVC Here I come

06/11/11 ............NOA2 in Hand

National Visa Center

06/16/11 ........... Wife mail DS230 Part 1 Signed to US address

-- including passport photos, her passport, police certificate

-- plus 3 certified copies of each.

06/24/11 ........... NVC Case # Assigned (Phone Check)

-- Choice of Agent selection via mailing DS-3032

07/18/11 ........... Mailed IV & i-864

07/20/11 ........... Package IV & i-864 NVC recived

08/11/11 ........... Case Completed

Consulate Journey

08/19/11 ........... NVC E-Mail Interview Set

for 9/23/2011

08/30/11 - New born baby.

09/05/11 - Report Birth Abroad

10/03/11 - Nguyen Thanh Phu passport received in hand.

10/17/11 - Interview reschedule 11/14/11

11/14/11 - Rescheduled Interview

• 1 month later...
Timeline

OP = Original Poster... moved from SEAsia to VN regional

Timeline

These are some of the question Tuyen was asked.

What does the petitioner's parents do for a living?

Did the petitioner's parents remarry after their divorce?

Why did they get divorced?

What are the petitioner's friend's names?

What do the petitioner's friend's do for a living?

What do the petitioner's and friends do for fun?

What color is the petitioner's house?

How many bedrooms are in the house?

What products do they make at the petitioner's work?

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.