lollee

Which is easier? K-1 or K-3?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, im probably being a pain with all the silly questions iv been asking :whistle:

But by the looks of it...is the K-3 not an easier way to go about things than the K-1? From what iv read..you get a temp green card upon POE, allowing you to work - which in turn allows you to save for the AOS fee while living in the US.

Does the K-3 take longer?

We were planning on filling for the K-1 at the end of the month...but if the K-3 is easier, il have to wait another 2 months or so (Just got back about 14 days ago...can't put my boss through that much torture hehe) to get married to him then file for the K-3 :huh:

Opinions? :)

Edited by lollee

*~♥*Timeline*♥~*

Summer of 2008 - Met on World of Warcraft aimlessly killing eachother as Blood Elf hunter

and Human warlock at an earlier date, started talking on vent shortly after

2009/03/27 - Met in person!

2009/06/13 - Second meet. We knew then that we wanted to go for the fiance visa

Filing for K-1 at the end of July - the start of the long(But worth it!) journey begins

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

*Second edit* >.>

Iv already gone through the guides and have a general understanding of the 2 visa types. But im hoping to hear from personal experiences :)

*~♥*Timeline*♥~*

Summer of 2008 - Met on World of Warcraft aimlessly killing eachother as Blood Elf hunter

and Human warlock at an earlier date, started talking on vent shortly after

2009/03/27 - Met in person!

2009/06/13 - Second meet. We knew then that we wanted to go for the fiance visa

Filing for K-1 at the end of July - the start of the long(But worth it!) journey begins

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

it is the cr-1 that allows one to work right away--not the k3. Each has thier own situation to go by. some need to work right away, so the cr-1 is more beneficial. Some need to be able to travel outside the USA right away, and since the k1 is a ONE time entry, they have to go the k3 or cr-1 route. The link aboe gives the plus and negatives of each. The less $$$$$ visa is the cr-1, and prob the least paperwork hassles of the all, but it can take the longest!! If everything goes in order as it is suppose to-----K1 would be the fastest route. One has to sit down and make their decision thats best for them.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally had a great experience with the K-1.... all went well, smooth, so I would do that again if given the choice. If you go the K-1 route, you won't be in a long distance relationship with your hubby either (that's another reason I did K-1, I just didn't want to be married and living away from him)

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

First question do you want to marry now or later? K1 before cr1 after

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

lollee, did you consider CR-1 (or its variant DCF) instead of either of the K-types?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Like the others said, each visa has its challenges and negatives, as well as positives. It generally comes down to personal preference.

Some questions you might want to ask yourself: Do you mind living apart from your husband for possibly a year? Do you want or need to work in the US immediately? Are the savings you'll incur from filing the Cr-1 very important to you? Is being together quickly your top priority or do you feel like you can wait and be patient? Would you mind getting married now, or would you rather wait and put some thought into it and better prepare yourself? Those are things I had to consider when I made the choice to go with the K-1. The idea of living apart and being married wasn't something I was willing to deal with. It seems as though K-1 visas are most popular with a younger crowd, because it allows you to have that newly wed experience and it makes planning a nice wedding and being together quickly possible. However, each person has different priorities, so its completely up to you and your living situation.

If you're going to get married, the Cr-1 is a better option than the K-3... Its cheaper, gives you a green card and thus work authorization very quickly, means you don't have to file an AOS, and is generally not much slower if at all.

Personally I would recommend the CR-1 as that's what my wife and I went with. The same week that my wife moved here she began taking care of all the paperwork (social security card, driver's license, etc) and then started applying for jobs. I think it helped her a lot to not have to sit around while I was working and try to find ways to fill her time. She got a job within a few months of being here and is actually still there to this day :)

Whatever you choose, I wish you tons of good luck!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline

I like the K1 because nothing says 'i love you' like sitting on your a$$ for a good six months while your husband works his butt off to keep you afloat.

:lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I like the K1 because nothing says 'i love you' like sitting on your a$$ for a good six months while your husband works his butt off to keep you afloat.

:lol: WAIT. that's what Bren says about my CR-1..... <_<

:rofl:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Damn right girl! That's what I am doing as we speak :lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.