thetreble

Worst Excuse you have EVER given for not being able to go to work...

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The best one i've heard comes from my fiances mom, who told me someone called in once and said they couldn't make it because they had heartburn.

I also enjoy the "death in the family" excuse when the person forgets they already claimed that family member died. She said she had an employee who called in saying his grandma died on 3 seperate occasions.

Or, my personal favorite... cramps :P

I could never do the family excuse.... I'm very superstitious and believe saying that outloud would jinx me and something bad would actually happen

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Yeah the death thing is pretty bad!

I've used the food poisioning one! I said it was from Burger King. No one had a hard time believing that...

I also faked an ankle injury at work once. It got me out half way through the shift!

I'm evil...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The one I think is the most transparent is where someone comes in to work and at some point during the day they start sniffling and fake coughing - so you know they are not coming in to work the next day!

Timeline
The one I think is the most transparent is where someone comes in to work and at some point during the day they start sniffling and fake coughing - so you know they are not coming in to work the next day!

:lol:

My boss does that from time to time! "Oh I don't feel well..."

haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Timeline

I HATE those! Just talk normally! I'd believe you WAY more than fake coughing and pretend-sore-throat talking. :bonk:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I HATE those! Just talk normally! I'd believe you WAY more than fake coughing and pretend-sore-throat talking. :bonk:

Sore throat talking, yes forgot that part :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One time I said I would be late because I had to take my Mom to her Dr. appointment. She was going to an appointment, but she didn't end up needing me to take her... but I still went in late.

Migraines were my illness of choice when I wanted to be sick or leave early. Didn't happen often though.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

A hurricane / snowstorm is always a good one.. missing a flight/ bus too is one I've used :whistle:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I remember one guy who used the snowstorm-couldn't-fly-out excuse. Because he was an habitually absent employee they checked the weather and flight reports and found out he was lying. :lol:

Well I used that excuse once, in Calgary, when I was hemming and hawing about whether or not to actually quit a job I had just taken. The thing is, in Calgary (as i'm sure it is in most of Canada) - weather is NEVER an excuse for not going to work - it's an excuse for being late while you dig your car out of the driveway only.

So I believe it was about my first week of work (this was IBM - my work from home job - but I was still training). So we have this huge snow storm. I'm at home, completely unhappy with having to go in to this office downtown, not liking the office AT ALL. It's cubicles with young nerds, not overly friendly and - well you have all done cubicles i'm sure.

Anyway - big snow storm, I call and say can't get the car out etc etc - of course not good enough, so I say I will call a taxi - then call to say I can't get through to a taxi service (which was true).

Well around noon the streets have been cleared, I can get through to a taxi, but I can't decide whether to just stick with them, knowing it will be a work from home position after a few weeks, or just quit.

I ended up taking a taxi in to work at around 1:00. I think it just made them nervous because I was still fairly new there.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Heh, not an excuse for not showing up rather, but kind of in the same category. I was working in a call centre and our "managers" were these stupid kids still in high school who really enjoyed the "power" they held...I was a little bit late coming in to work. legitimately because of the subway. They asked why I didnt call. I told them I asked the conductor if I could use his "phone" but they didn't let me. It shut them up and I ended up using that like many times LOL

I've never used the death in the family excuse, but I have definitely used the Sick Family member line.

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Filed: Timeline

I did the opposite. One day we had a snow day where you get the day off because they close the place due to the weather. So I'm all dressed and ready to go when I get a phonecall that they're closed. So I looked outside and it didn't seem too bad to me..... mind you I had a 4wd.... lol.... so I jumped in and went to work anyway. I figured it'd be the perfect time to get things done with nobody around.

Yeah. I was an idiot. :rolleyes:

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have used the missed a flight' excuse and flight cancelled at last minute (which is believable when flying out of NYC). I have also called in off stating i had to take my mom to a doctors appt, which was easy for my boss to believe as my mom is chronically sick...i've used it twice and both time felt awful about it and gave my mom extra love when i saw her...

Our Journey to Happiness :)

Oct 30, 2002 - We met in Toronto while he was visiting on a business trip from the US

Dated until early 2004 and then distance became an issue

Sept 16, 2007 - He initiated contact with me after almost 4 years!

Jan 2008 - He came to Toronto to visit and see if there was still 'something' there

Feb 28, 2009 - He proposed in front of my family in our condo in Toronto!!!

May 13, 2009 - sent in I-129F (Lawyer is handling our process)

May 15, 2009 - received receipt of NOA1

September 16, 2009 - NOA2!!!

Nov 4/09 - sent packet 3

Nov 25/09 - info logged in system

Interview date - March 22, 2010!!! ***APPROVED!!!***

POE @ Queenston/Lewiston - April 4th, 2010

Wedding date - July 17, 2010

Timeline
I did the opposite. One day we had a snow day where you get the day off because they close the place due to the weather. So I'm all dressed and ready to go when I get a phonecall that they're closed. So I looked outside and it didn't seem too bad to me..... mind you I had a 4wd.... lol.... so I jumped in and went to work anyway. I figured it'd be the perfect time to get things done with nobody around.

Yeah. I was an idiot. :rolleyes:

Yeah - depends where you are working. Here is an example of something that happened one day at IBM, when I went in to the office.

As I was working from home (I had been there a few months at this time) I was issued a laptop. So when I had to go in to the office, I took said laptop with me, of course. I was never issued a lock with it.

So, I am all set up at one of the work stations at cubicle city and I needed to go and speak with this other person that was maybe 20 feet away - towards the exit, so there is no way anyone was getting by me on the way out of the floor (also this was a security entrance floor).

I walk the 20 feet, peek around the corner, she isn't at her desk so I turn around and go back to my desk. My laptop is gone.

Now what I didn't know, not being part of the cubicle 'crowd' is that this is a no-no at IBM. You must lock your laptop. So one of the little petty squealer types, who was sitting nearby had taken my laptop and handed it in to the Manager. No one ever said who it was, but I knew it was him. Before I approached the Manager I went down that row of cubicles and asked anyone if they had seen anyone near my laptop - the guy who I realized later had taken it said go and ask the Manager.

So I do, she pulls it out of a cabinet and I can't remember what she said to me, but it was not nice (and this is someone who was ALWAYS nice to me (both before and after the laptop incident). I just stood there, took my laptop and mumbled something and walked away. I lost all respect for her at that point.

In hindsight, I would have said something not so nice about where the laptop should actually be kept.....and quit on the spot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.