booger

Just got layed off ,, K1 pending now what???

31 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about this.

Have you tried looking on craigslist for jobs? No idea which part of Kentucky you are from but saw a few transportation jobs listed there.

That Craigslist is making a LOT of bad headlines lately for criminal activity. Id stay away!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

True, but those were dating ads etc Craigslist killer.

It is still a good source of local information if you know how to sift through the con artists/fakes. Pissed me off when some of these folks were even harassing the apartment/housing section.

Besides, how can you fake a transportation job?

N-400 Stuff:
07/02/16 : N-400 sent

07/11/16 : NOA1

07/28/16 : Biometrics

04/03/17: Interview (approved)

04/14/17: Judicial oath ceremony

thanks to all who posted here .... i will keep trying and we will discuss optional plans, cause failure isn't an option.. If and i say IF i don't have work by then, and the "worse case " happens and we fail the interview,, judy and i will still be together in Manila, cause she has my heart and i must be where my heart is....... God bless us all.... Wayne

Edited by booger

10-26-10 NVC recieves our petition

10-27-10 NVC case # assigned..

11-02-10 DS-3032, I-864 Bill received.

11-02-10 AOS Bill paid.

11-09-10 IV Bill recieved

11-09-10 IV Bill paid.

11-15-10 Sent IV and AOS packages seperately via overnight mail.

11-16-10 IV and AOS packages received at NVC at 11:22am ..... Now the wait begins again :(

11-30-10 Both packages entered into NVC's system awaiting review.....

12-07-10 RFE. A simple fix , But i need to wait till replacement page of Ds230 arrives, then overnight the checklist stuff back to NVC.

12-15-10 RFE docs arrived via DHL from Judy...heading to the Post Office to overnight to nvc

12-15-10 Overnighted the RFE checklist docs to NVC

12-16-10 NVC recieves RFE checklist docs

01-07-11 SIF ..... Thank you God...

01-10-11 Case complete, now waiting on the interview date email...

01-24-11 Finally got the interview date. March 1 @8:30am Thank you God. Now i can be at ease

02-04-11 Wife got a letter from USEM in Manila rescheduling her interview... was March 1, now Feb 17 ... ;)

02-07-11 Medical, day 1 of 2 (Passed)

02-08-11 Medical, day 2 (Passed)

02-17-11 Interview.... APPROVED.....Thank you GOD

02-28-11 Visa in hand!!

03-14-11 Departing Manila for her 24 hour flight to me

03-15-11 My baby is HOME!!!

03-21-11 Welcome letter and GC received

"Without you , I'm not ME"

I love you Judy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't know what the specific laws are in Kentucky, but in most states you need a commercial license (or whatever the particular state calls it) to drive a commercial truck. Also, you generally need to be at least 25 years old in order to be insurable at a reasonable rate. If you've got the license and age issues covered, then the two remaining things you need to overcome are inexperience and the fact that you are competing with other out-of-work drivers.

Your inexperience could actually work FOR you in this case. Apply for some of those jobs that require X years of experience and offer to work at a reduced wage. Tell them you want to prove yourself and gain experience, and you're willing to get less money in order to do it. Tell them you won't discuss your wages with any of the other drivers (people get nervous when they find out the company is hiring cheaper labor). In this economy, the prospect of getting a job done for less money is very appealing to most employers. If you're sincere and make a good impression, I think you have a decent chance of getting a job this way. Don't ask for a raise until you have enough experience to get another job.

You find job prospects in the classified ads. You find jobs in the hiring manager's office. Get out there and make it happen. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

thanks to all who posted here .... i will keep trying and we will discuss optional plans, cause failure isn't an option.. If and i say IF i don't have work by then, and the "worse case " happens and we fail the interview,, judy and i will still be together in Manila, cause she has my heart and i must be where my heart is....... God bless us all.... Wayne

You are in our thoughts and prayers Wayne. I'm so sorry to hear about your employment. You did say earlier however that your brother was willing to co-sposor, and it has been stated that if you apply for a CR1 visa you can have a co-sponsor, just not for a K-1. So, if you can't find a job...and you can still continue looking as it will be some time before your fiances interview, then you might want to consider getting married, and reapplying so that your brother could be your co-sponsor.

Take a deep breath, keep looking for work...it might not necessarily be in the transporation industry...you stated you had been working for them one month...what did you do before this? Taking two part time jobs would perhaps also put you over the poverty level, so that's an option as well if you can't find one full time job that pays well enough. Don't give up. (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

I don't know what the specific laws are in Kentucky, but in most states you need a commercial license (or whatever the particular state calls it) to drive a commercial truck. Also, you generally need to be at least 25 years old in order to be insurable at a reasonable rate. If you've got the license and age issues covered, then the two remaining things you need to overcome are inexperience and the fact that you are competing with other out-of-work drivers.

Your inexperience could actually work FOR you in this case. Apply for some of those jobs that require X years of experience and offer to work at a reduced wage. Tell them you want to prove yourself and gain experience, and you're willing to get less money in order to do it. Tell them you won't discuss your wages with any of the other drivers (people get nervous when they find out the company is hiring cheaper labor). In this economy, the prospect of getting a job done for less money is very appealing to most employers. If you're sincere and make a good impression, I think you have a decent chance of getting a job this way. Don't ask for a raise until you have enough experience to get another job.

You find job prospects in the classified ads. You find jobs in the hiring manager's office. Get out there and make it happen. :thumbs:

I have a Class A CDL but no OTR (over the road) exp... that is what the companies are looking for... when i call them and tell them i will work for less just like you said (already tried that before your idea ) they understand my ambition , but say" due to insurance reasons bla bla bla we can't help you "...... so on that idea SO FAR i am S.O.L

10-26-10 NVC recieves our petition

10-27-10 NVC case # assigned..

11-02-10 DS-3032, I-864 Bill received.

11-02-10 AOS Bill paid.

11-09-10 IV Bill recieved

11-09-10 IV Bill paid.

11-15-10 Sent IV and AOS packages seperately via overnight mail.

11-16-10 IV and AOS packages received at NVC at 11:22am ..... Now the wait begins again :(

11-30-10 Both packages entered into NVC's system awaiting review.....

12-07-10 RFE. A simple fix , But i need to wait till replacement page of Ds230 arrives, then overnight the checklist stuff back to NVC.

12-15-10 RFE docs arrived via DHL from Judy...heading to the Post Office to overnight to nvc

12-15-10 Overnighted the RFE checklist docs to NVC

12-16-10 NVC recieves RFE checklist docs

01-07-11 SIF ..... Thank you God...

01-10-11 Case complete, now waiting on the interview date email...

01-24-11 Finally got the interview date. March 1 @8:30am Thank you God. Now i can be at ease

02-04-11 Wife got a letter from USEM in Manila rescheduling her interview... was March 1, now Feb 17 ... ;)

02-07-11 Medical, day 1 of 2 (Passed)

02-08-11 Medical, day 2 (Passed)

02-17-11 Interview.... APPROVED.....Thank you GOD

02-28-11 Visa in hand!!

03-14-11 Departing Manila for her 24 hour flight to me

03-15-11 My baby is HOME!!!

03-21-11 Welcome letter and GC received

"Without you , I'm not ME"

I love you Judy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am in exactly the same boat hun. Except I am a UK Citizen, I lost 2 out of my 3 jobs I have, and on my third job my hours have just been cut to 10 hours a week. I now have to claim income support just to have food and pay bills, I cant afford anything else.

This is a bit of a crazy idea, but what about in the meantime, sell some old stuff on ebay. I am selling on ebay currently, everything from DVD's to books, mobile phones, and shoes! I have made £400/$600 so far while looking for another job. Its keeping me a float and I can claim it as my income still.

Is it worth finding a job in a different area of work? Say Finance or Communication? Most of those are over $8 a hour. Even some bar-tending jobs are good, my Fiancee's brother paid his way through law school by earning $300 a night! It might be worth taking a temporary job just until you get a new one secured.

12/31/2009 - Married

01/08/2010- Mailed in AOS

01/13/2010- AOS received and sent back due to missing signature

01/22/2010- AOS arrives back at my house, signed, sent off again

01/27/2010- Receipt number given, huzzahhh! NOA1

01/29/2010- Money taken out :'(

02/02/2010- Touch

02/06/2010- Biometrics Appointment, 16th Feb at 2:00pm .... Also happens to be my 21st Birthday!!

02/07/2010- Sent in Medical to Chicago office

02/09/2010- Got a RFE for medical.....Sent reply letter 2 days earlier due to forgetting to include vaccination data.

02/10/2010- Sent a 2nd copy of medical to MO office.

02/16/2010- 21st birthday, Biometrics done, and a letter saying my case is on "hold" from the 7th of Feb, in a email...

02/17/2010- Touch

02/23/2010- Letter to congressman

02/24/2010- RFE Received and processing resumed.

02/25/2010- Case transferred to CSC

03/24/2010- Work permit printed

03/28/2010- Work permit received (After writing to the congressman...Again...)

07/01/2010- Call to Senator about Green card, Call to USCIS, Nothing... Told to wait another 2 months and then possibly another 4 months.

07/01/2010- Touch on I-485/Green card...

07/02/2010- Second touch on I-485/Green card, No notifications....

07/07/2010- Told at info pass that my application is being sent to west palm from CSC

07/10/2010- Touch I-485

07/14/2010- Touch on I-485

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi boog,

don't worry, i can tell you will find new job soon:-) and besides it is still long journey for the papers you have filed. so, you have lots of time to search for job. the economy is just bad, my husband says that being a truck driver is a good pay though! well, have strong faith and soon u will have job:-) not only you experienced laid-off, my hubby before he filed my K1, he got laid off too, but he didn't stop searching job in the net. Thanks God, he found one and has good benefit. He works on cars as technician. so don't stop looking. May God bless you! and Good luck :thumbs:

Hello my VJ family, well i got bad news today .... After hearing rumors of possible lay offs, that became a reality today... the truck driving company i "worked for " layed 1500 people off.. starting with the newest ones first(me included). The economy has hit everything hard .... and we have the K1 pending now.. OMG my judy is going crazy. i have applied to every company i can Google up . and 99 % say the same thing , " must have at least_______ months experience to apply".... well i only have 1 month and then the layoff. that doesn't qualify me to work for them.... how does one get experience if they won't hire you ??? that was our only hope to be approved cause it paid so well,,, unless there's something i don't know that i could do to meet the 125%... as far as assets i have a bit of savings and a nice home and 2 nice cars . can those be used as assets that will help to be approved?. also, i can get my brother to co sponsor, BUT i hear the Manila embassy doesn't accept co sponsors... if i had another job driving or if my VJ family knows of another job driving that would take 0 experience , i would appreciate it so much... i am a non drinker ,nonsmoker and non drug user . i will do any type of drug test required . i need work... these $7 per hour jobs around me won't meet the 125% the embassy wants .... i am sorry to post this here and sound like i am begging and pleading but, actually i am , cause i don't know what to do now... she is my life and IF we fail the visa , then i will have to sell everything here and move there... please someone , give me work till the interview comes along (hopfully i will have a new job soon), but please any help or advice ... Wayne ........sorry , if i posted in the wrong forum :help:

johncelestemary

Hello my VJ family, well i got bad news today .... After hearing rumors of possible lay offs, that became a reality today... the truck driving company i "worked for " layed 1500 people off.. starting with the newest ones first(me included). The economy has hit everything hard .... and we have the K1 pending now.. OMG my judy is going crazy. i have applied to every company i can Google up . and 99 % say the same thing , " must have at least_______ months experience to apply".... well i only have 1 month and then the layoff. that doesn't qualify me to work for them.... how does one get experience if they won't hire you ??? that was our only hope to be approved cause it paid so well,,, unless there's something i don't know that i could do to meet the 125%... as far as assets i have a bit of savings and a nice home and 2 nice cars . can those be used as assets that will help to be approved?. also, i can get my brother to co sponsor, BUT i hear the Manila embassy doesn't accept co sponsors... if i had another job driving or if my VJ family knows of another job driving that would take 0 experience , i would appreciate it so much... i am a non drinker ,nonsmoker and non drug user . i will do any type of drug test required . i need work... these $7 per hour jobs around me won't meet the 125% the embassy wants .... i am sorry to post this here and sound like i am begging and pleading but, actually i am , cause i don't know what to do now... she is my life and IF we fail the visa , then i will have to sell everything here and move there... please someone , give me work till the interview comes along (hopfully i will have a new job soon), but please any help or advice ... Wayne ........sorry , if i posted in the wrong forum :help:

Two things...

from what I have read Manilla will accept co-sponsors if they are immediate family, parents or siblings. Check the regional forums

Another regards the job search. DO NOT be turned off because an ad says "must have..." That's a wish list. Send them your resume anyway. I have had serveral positions I "wasn't qualified" for according to the ads. I have also hired a lot of people that did not have the specified "qualifications" but were excellent for the job nonetheless. No door is going to open if you don't knock!

Good luck

I'm not trying to but heads but can you show the link to what you have read saying Manila will accepet co-sponsors if they are immediate family? From what I know and read of this is that they do not accepet co-sponsors for the K1 regardless of immediate family or not. I have found many post about this and know 1st hand from a friend who had family co-sponsors this is a very gray area and I would really like to know more about this.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2442413

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2876693

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2876809

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2876780

Yeah as far as the K-1 is concerned, but with the IR1/CR1 yes, i've read multiple times you can use a Co-Sponsor with that visa type. I think one reason is that the use the I864, which IS legally binding as an AOS, which the one used for the K-1 is not binding.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't worry! You have enough time. We were on the same boat before when I had my interview in Manila. That time my husband(then fiance) was only a month from his job, since he got laid off too from his previous job. So I made him produced an updated employer letter on his current job and brought them to the interview with me. As long as you have the last 3 yrs of your income tax returns which are above the poverty line, you will be okay. You don't have to include all your assets.

Just keep looking for job! Good Luck!

8/26/09- received 10yr GC

N-400- done

dont worry about that u should be fine just used all your assets and look for co sponsor then i think u will be approved.hope this helps.goodluck

AOS Timeline

07.25.09 sent AOS,EAD,AP

07.27.09 received aos by j chyba

07.30.09 NOAs for AOS,EAD,AP

08.07.09 biometrics done

Look into installing direct tv and dish network. After installing hvac for over 16 years, I was medically retired after being on workers comp for 1 1/2 years I found this job and learned it in like 5 days. Now I make over $4000-5000 a month and don't work very hard at all!

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Look into installing direct tv and dish network. After installing hvac for over 16 years, I was medically retired after being on workers comp for 1 1/2 years I found this job and learned it in like 5 days. Now I make over $4000-5000 a month and don't work very hard at all!

hi its me again i just want to help you and give you an advice that dont focus on co-sponsor bec for K1 they not accept it. The consulate will tell directly to your faincee during the interview based on my experienced.Most important you going to do now is find a job that will meet the poverty guidelines ok...Just read my post topic so that you will know and have an idea bec i shared what ive experienced bec i was interviewed last June. Dont lost hope ok just have faith in God and be patience looking for a job.Ok God bless you and goodluck.....

hi its me again i just want to help you and give you an advice that dont focus on co-sponsor bec for K1 they not accept it. The consulate will tell directly to your faincee during the interview based on my experienced.Most important you going to do now is find a job that will meet the poverty guidelines ok...Just read my post topic so that you will know and have an idea bec i shared what ive experienced bec i was interviewed last June. Dont lost hope ok just have faith in God and be patience looking for a job.Ok God bless you and goodluck.....

Umm maybe your confused, I am not the op, I am giving him advice on a job that is really booming right now.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hello u can try craiglist for a job. i just went there and there r lots of jobs for drivers. i dont know what area u r from but i did see they r looking for chauffer and i did see a lot if truck driver or if u want to look in another area i see there is a lot. just until your girl getrs here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.