Patricia_and_andy

Baby Corner

3,061 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey Nizzy,

My doctor has been waiting for the right time to induce labor with me for the last 2 weeks or so now due to my BP fluctuating so much. The only reason he hasn't done it yet is because I haven't started dilating or thinning yet. Otherwise, I would have had my baby by now. If you have already started thinning or dilating, the risk of a C-section is very small. You have already started the process yourself and the induction is only speeding things along. Otherwise, if you haven't already started, they are trying to ripen a cervix that's not ready yet, and there is a chance it may not work, resulting in a section. I don't blame you for not being excited at the possibility of a C-section. I wouldn't be thrilled about it either, especially when it's elective. If it was an emergency then that would be different.

If it means you can schedule it for your husband to be there, then I would jump at the chance. The benefits outweigh the risks at this stage IMO! You will be 39 weeks by then anyway, baby is ready! Good luck whatever you decide!

I go back on Monday to be checked yet again! I really hope something has started so we can go ahead and get it moving. Baby's head is engaged, but that's all so far! I have a feeling the doc may think about scheduling anyway since it's going on 3 weeks since I have had high BP and protein present in my urine. Fingers crossed!

AOS

05/26/05: Sent I-485/I-130 & I-765 to Chicago lockbox.

05/27/05: Paperwork received by Douglas!

06/17/05: Check hit bank account.

06/20/05: All 3 NOA's rec'vd! TG!

08/02/05: Biometrics , New Orleans. Pretty uneventful.

08/09/05: EAD Approved!

07/12/06: ......still.........waiting.........

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

10/23/06: Interview finally scheduled for 12/14/06.

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

01/17/07: Biometrics scheduled.

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

My little angel, Rachel Erin...born 02/15/07

IM000979.jpg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose I should add my bit to this thread: Ben and I are officially trying. :D

I bought the ovulation kit, he sneaked a peek at the instructions and we were away. Actually here's the lowdown, for the ladies and curious dudes (copied this from another post because I thought it was clever - highlight to see :D )

Soooo...I was wondering "I wonder if I'm normal...I wonder if I even HAVE leutenizing hormone..." (you know, all that paranoid stuff when you've been bonking your partner for years but have never tried to get pregnant). So I peed on the little Ovulation test and sure enough, I was producing the right hormone - no ovulation - but I definately had hormones. Carried on testing and voila! Yesterday very early in the morning I got up for a pee, took my test a little earlier than usual and *boom* - MASSIVELY darker result line than control line - no doubt of le ovulation there. Was TOTALLY about to ovulate.

SOoo we have been at work ever since (and a little bit before - pre-emptive strike I suppose). Doing all the normal tricks like using gravity to help along. You know, before this, I never quite realised the window for conception was so darn short. All these eyars I've been fretting over a missed pill here and there and really...it aint that easy usually. C'est la vie. We'll see.

One of my friends is seven months pregnant and one of her girlfriends gave here about 20 of the ovulation tests at her bachelorette party. Well, she said that if things didn't work out this month, I could have her tests because there's no darn way she'll want another one for quite a while after this one's born...

I am a member of babysnark.com so I will be frequenting that forum as well.

*giggles*

Edited by JayJay

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

3/3/08 - Check cashed for ROC at CSC...

Feb 2009 - Called USCIS to see what the heck was goin' on...

FEB 20th 2009 - Received email - GC on the way!

I am APPROVED for the 10 year PR Card!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline
CO-SLEEPERS

cosleeper_2.jpg

blue_dot_teaser.jpg

with canopy attachment for outside use

canopy_mini_natural.jpg

Anyone use these? Reviews or comments?

I'm getting this co-sleeper (the original--not the mini) for our twins. They can handle double the weight of a pack n' play (up to 30-35 pounds) which means I can put our twins in it together for easier access to breastfeed them at night. The twin moms on websites I have visited really like them and they have been recommended over and over again.

Shop around for them on the internet. You can find them for as little as $110-$140 with free shipping even.

Kristi and Seung-ho (U.S. / S. Korea)

.png

.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline
why is c section such a bad thing?

i realize its not natural............

but.............

my friend had trouble after hours of labor with her first and had a c section

the second one they scheduled the c section automatically

she said sh wished she would have done it that way the first time

you plan a day, your husbands plans to be there, you dont have any pain, you have your bag packed, its over quicker, its not in the middle of the night

anyways - i know that most want a normal birth

but - csection isnt all the bad

i was chatting with my friend after 10 minutes after she left the operating room.

in fact i went to get the baby (we were waiting for the nurse to do the apgar and wash the baby)

so - if it goes to c-section........its not so bad.

I really don't want a c-section because it is, after all, a major abdominal surgery. The standard recovery time is 8 weeks as opposed to 6 weeks and you aren't supposed to drive, take a bath, etc. Also, there is evidence that a vaginal birth is better for baby because it massages their lungs, etc.

Of course, if it comes to a C-section, I will do it for the sake of my babies. I have also heard stories from many people saying that they had a really hard recovery after a C-section when they had labored for a while and much preferred just scheduling their 2nd birth as a C-section. I can definitely understand that, but I wouldn't elect to have a C-section with my first birth if it looked like I could have a safe vaginal birth.

I actually get really annoyed when people say to me 'Oh-you're having twins? When have you scheduled your C-section' as if it is a foregone conclusion that I will have one. It seems like some people think that they are no big deal at all, but it is a major surgery. And some people do not heal all that easily after a section through no fault of their own. Not only that, but it seems to me that it is a much more impersonal way to give birth.

So I am definitely trying for a vaginal birth with my twins--even though I know there is a possibility that I will have the first vaginally and then have to have a C-section with the 2nd. I'm being optimistic and hoping that both of them can be born vaginally. Wish me luck!

Kristi

Kristi and Seung-ho (U.S. / S. Korea)

.png

.png

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a C-section with my daughter and it wasn't bad at all.

My first two kids were born vaginally.

With my first birth I got a fourth degree tear and that was FAR worse than the recovery from my C-section.

Plus you get bonus days in the hospital ;)

I was up making dinner my first day home.

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Also, my husband and I got this co-sleeper at Target (it goes between you in the bed) and is only $25....I LOVED it!

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/217761/117.html

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had 3 natural births, and 1 c-section. My final pregnancy was twins, and the bottom twin was back down in my pelvis, with her brother sitting on her. Having done it both ways I can honestly say I prefer natural. Of course, it boils down to what's best for baby/babies. I suppose I should also mention I'm deathly afraid of needles, so the whole epidural part of the c-section freaked me out pretty badly.

-12/15/06 Mailed off I-129F

-12/19/06 NOA1 via email

-01/05/07 NOA2 via email

-01/13/07 NVC notice via snail mail

-01/25/07 Packet 3 arrives.

-02/22/07 Packet 3 is mailed.

-03/02/07 Medical

-03/13/07 Packet 4 arrives.

-03/16-24/07 Honey visits.

-04/02/07 Interview(Approved)

-04/10/07 Visa arrives.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to all the new preggos and those who are trying to become pregnant. Hope it won't take too long.

I think many women have an epidural done after being induced because the Pitocin (or whatever drug was used for induction) makes contractions be harder and stronger. Many women can't take the pain and get an epidural. I'm trying not to get one and I don't want to get induced either.

I was at the doctors today. My GBS test came back positive :crying: and I'm really worried about baby now. The midwife said that if he's not here until 41 weeks, she'll probably sweep my membranes. I have read that some babies of GBS positive moms have died after the membranes were stripped. They had blood poisoning. Now, I don't even know if I want her to check my cervix cause I'm afraid she might just take the chance and sweep my membranes even if I don't want her to. I hope baby will be there soon. I feel so big and my hormones make me cry for nothing. I could just cry all day and I'm mad all the time. It's really about time for him to come out.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Thanks for the info stina! I am still thinking it over and now I am leaning towards induction...that is if I am dilated by the next appointment. I would be willing to go through a c-section just to have hubby with me...it means a whole lot to both of us...well I will definitely let you know what happens!

ManuNSam: There is nothing wrong with a c-section...I'm just scared of afterwards and the whole healing process. I also want to breastfeed and I heard you can't do that due to the medication they give you and all of that. I am definitely expecting ANYTHING to happen. I am not setting my heart on giving birth in any certain way. If a c-section is needed in my situation then bring it on but I don't want to elect to have one.

Canadalaura: Congrats!

nizzy... there is no reason at all that you can not breastfeed if you have a c/s... you might need a couple of extra pillows for supporting the baby and keeping direct weight off the incision site, but you would have an epidural for a c/s... dont let the fear of that keep you from it...

that being said, i know its scary thinking of healing from it... im concerned about it too... my doc is looking into scheduling a c/s for me... you have to do what is right for you... so try to make a list of all the reasons that you would want a vag delivery, and then a list of reasons for wanting a scheduled c/s...

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to all the new preggos and those who are trying to become pregnant. Hope it won't take too long.

I think many women have an epidural done after being induced because the Pitocin (or whatever drug was used for induction) makes contractions be harder and stronger. Many women can't take the pain and get an epidural. I'm trying not to get one and I don't want to get induced either.

I was at the doctors today. My GBS test came back positive :crying: and I'm really worried about baby now. The midwife said that if he's not here until 41 weeks, she'll probably sweep my membranes. I have read that some babies of GBS positive moms have died after the membranes were stripped. They had blood poisoning. Now, I don't even know if I want her to check my cervix cause I'm afraid she might just take the chance and sweep my membranes even if I don't want her to. I hope baby will be there soon. I feel so big and my hormones make me cry for nothing. I could just cry all day and I'm mad all the time. It's really about time for him to come out.

eveline... *hugs*

i know that i can not ease your mind completely... just please let me share with you from the years of experience in a neonatal intensive care unit...

most women have GBS at some point... it comes and goes... the thing to worry about is if you have it and dont get treatment for it... then if the baby doesnt get treatment, it is very true that the baby could get sick enough to die... BUT...

if you get treated with sufficient antibiotics while in labor, the docs can check a couple of lab tests on the baby to see if there is a need for antibiotics for him... and nothing will be any different than any other healthy delivery...

THEN, if there isnt time for antibiotics, then it just means that the baby will need to have them... and it may be for only 48 hours or as long as 7 - 10 days... it just depends on what the blood cultures and other labwork show... as well as how he behaves... if he shows any problems, then they will give the antibiotics longer...

you are getting good prenatal care... you are aware of what is going on... you will more than likely have plenty of time to get antibiotics during your labor (since this is your first, it usually takes longer since the cervix has never had to dilate and efface before)... these are all things that help reduce the rate of transmission from mom to baby... meaning your chances are very good that it will not affect your baby...

here is a site that explains it very well... http://uimc.discoveryhospital.com/main.php?id=2699

What can be done to prevent the infection?

This infection is often preventable. Pregnant women should have their ####### and rectum checked for GBS toward the end of pregnancy. If a woman is found to have GBS, she can be given antibiotics during labor. This kills the GBS bacteria in the mother and reduces the chance of infection in the child. Good prenatal care is important to allow the detection and treatment of GBS in the mother. The rate of this infection is actually decreasing. This is because pregnant women are being screened and given preventive antibiotics during labor if they have GBS.

i hope this helps to ease your mind, even if it is just a little

tony_1.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

@ Evaline - My sister had GBS and now has a very healthy happy 4 month old so don't let them scare you too much. Just make sure when you do go into labor you leave enough time to get to the hospital to get the antibiotics. I know it's better and more comfortable to labor at home but you really need to get there and leave enough time to get the antibiotics in your system. They also give the baby some meds after delivery (I think they put something on his eyes? but I don't remember exactly).

@ Nizzy - Both of my boys were induced, my labors both started out strong and dropped off and I was begging for them to move it along. It's really relieving to know "whew he has to come now!" I think in your situation I would definetely induce, once labor starts it usually keeps moving along. Usually the dr. breaks your water first, make you walk for like 20 miles (lol ok not 20 but it feels like that!) and then if you aren't dialating about 1cm per hour they will give you some meds. I was dialated to 6cm when they broke my water and honestly I wasn't in that much pain. However after getting the meds to move labor faster - because I slowed way down - I immediately got the epidural because I knew it was only going to hurt more. Sometimes the drugs make the labor speed up and go really fast and sometimes it's gradual. With my first it happened quickly with this second one it was much slower. But in the last 45 min he went from 7cm to 10cm and even with the epidural I still felt pain and pressure. So I guess what I'm trying to say is go for the induction, I know that if the choice came down to having my husband there or not, I would most certainly want him there.

Good luck to all of you delivering in the next few weeks and congratulations on the new mommies to be - get ready for sleepless nights ;)

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Thanks for the information everyone. I love having this thread to come to and it has been such great support for me in these months. I am definitely going to go for the induction if I am dilated on Tuesday. I can't wait to find out and move on to giving birth and meeting my little prince. We'll see what happens...

Eveline: Awwww hang in there hon. Don't stress yourself out at this point. The doctor told me that they can easily administer antibiotics and everything will be okay so don't worry.

just so everyone knows what to expect...

every baby born here gets 2 medications right at birth:

1) erythromycin ointment in their eyes... this prevents any infection that may be acquired thru birth... it doesnt hurt, but is a little slimy and makes their vision blurry... you can ask the nurse to wait until you have made eye contact with your baby before he/she puts the ointment in your baby's eyes

2) vitamin k shot to their thigh... this is given usually within the first 5 mins of life or so (while they are doing the initial drying off and giving apgars, etc)... this helps your baby's blood to begin to be able to clot

tony_1.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Good for you Nizzy....I hope something has started moving by then and also that your husband can maybe make it to be there for the birth!! Good luck and don't forget to come back with all the gory details!!! :thumbs:

Eveline, I'm sure everything will be ok. That's why they do these tests, so there are no surprises at the birth. Any new developments yet? I'm still having those contractions like period pain, travelling down into my thighs now! Why do I feel like things are happening when my doc tells me they're not? Oh well, I guess he knows what he's talking about after all, he's about 73! (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration)LOL!

Keltic....It's great to have an 'insider' in the thread with us....you always have great information! Thanks..... (F)

AOS

05/26/05: Sent I-485/I-130 & I-765 to Chicago lockbox.

05/27/05: Paperwork received by Douglas!

06/17/05: Check hit bank account.

06/20/05: All 3 NOA's rec'vd! TG!

08/02/05: Biometrics , New Orleans. Pretty uneventful.

08/09/05: EAD Approved!

07/12/06: ......still.........waiting.........

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

10/23/06: Interview finally scheduled for 12/14/06.

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

01/17/07: Biometrics scheduled.

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

My little angel, Rachel Erin...born 02/15/07

IM000979.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
Eveline, I'm sure everything will be ok. That's why they do these tests, so there are no surprises at the birth. Any new developments yet? I'm still having those contractions like period pain, travelling down into my thighs now! Why do I feel like things are happening when my doc tells me they're not? Oh well, I guess he knows what he's talking about after all, he's about 73! (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration)LOL!

No, nothing new here and it sucks. Considering that he hasn't even dropped yet I'm concerned that it will take forever. According to the pregnancy book I have (of course I know that no pregnancy developes like a book says) engagement should be happening somewhere from 4 to 2 weeks before labor starts when you are a first time mom. Well, I hope baby knows that too and will drop anyday now. I have been going for walks and stuff but my back is killing me. I have those menstrual pains all the way in my leg too and contractions whenever I move. I would have never thought that it gets soooo uncomfortable in the end.

Thank you for your nice words everybody. After reading alot about it I feel much better and I know that they can treat little Adam as soon as he is born.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019