Steve S

hating on the "newbies"

112 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline
Hey Mox, I enjoyed lurking around in here before, never caused any trouble....can I still lurk, if I do it quietly to myself?

Only if you start causing trouble. :)

I think the noob business is silly and I think it borders on bullying, even if it is only in jest. Staying out of OT will shield you from a lot of the nonsense.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey Jenn! /wave

I can cause some trouble....I just like to save up and make sure it's worth it!

03/26/09 : NOA1

09/23/09 : NOA2

11/13/09 : APPROVED and visa in hand!!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

Well you are certainly most welcome to our little group! Especially if you like guns and/or pie. :)

I'm from the south!! We have guns with our pie!!

03/26/09 : NOA1

09/23/09 : NOA2

11/13/09 : APPROVED and visa in hand!!!

When I have perused VJ forums other than this one (believe me, I rarely bother anymore), I have noticed many derogatory smears against "noobs" or "newbies". As if the significance of one's opinions is proportionate to the number of blue or orange boxes under one's username. To me it seems to be elitist, bullying behavior. It reminds me of Dr. Seuss's Sneetches with "stars upon thars".

Fortunately, this doesn't seem to happen in the Russia forum.

You guys rock.

that's because we're fat americans who sit on the computer all day and take these forums seriously- arguing about meaningless topics, taking offense from someone you'll never meet. it's all fun and games and we wear these hearts like badges of honor when really it's an indicator of who the big loser is. i'm on my way to the topppppp!

Stop that immediately Amber! You are on report :P

I have never been hated on anywhere on the entire VJ board. The RU forum has been nothing but nice to me.

#######!!! (written in an entirely gender-neutral sense), I hate you!!!! There you go :devil:

"I have not yet begun to defile myself."

Right :whistle:

Well the Bad Advice/ Noob thread has like 200 pages so you definitely have a point. However with that being said most of the "noob bashing" is meant in jest.

STFU Noob

Well you are certainly most welcome to our little group! Especially if you like guns and/or pie. :)

I'm from the south!! We have guns with our pie!!

Way cool :thumbs:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Aha, I made a slight beginner's mistake -- forgot that certain keywords may attract attention from cross-posters who don't normally frequent the Russia forum. I enjoy being somewhat provocative, but I don't have any desire to go on an offensive against newbie-bashers! My intent was mostly to say, what a welcoming forum this one is.

Maybe I should lurk for awhile, then maybe start a nice safe thread! :blush:

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Aha, I made a slight beginner's mistake -- forgot that certain keywords may attract attention from cross-posters who don't normally frequent the Russia forum. I enjoy being somewhat provocative, but I don't have any desire to go on an offensive against newbie-bashers! My intent was mostly to say, what a welcoming forum this one is.

yea- it was like bait. we've now been infiltrated by the enemy. nice work. this thread turned completely gay in record time.

Stop that immediately Amber! You are on report :P

nono, brad. it's a good thing. we have our skinny, hot, young russians so we can get as fat as we want! :devil:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi Steve,

First of all, welcome to VJ -- in all sincerity, I hope you find it as useful and fun as many of us have. Yes, your thread title (hating on the "newbies") was a bit provocative, but I understood where you were coming from in your original post, and understand that you meant no harm and did not expect an "invasion" by the likes of me :P

I honestly had no intent initially to post here, until the kafuffle a bit later down in the thread that did get my goat just a bit. Still - no hard feelings whatsoever to you, or anyone here. I come in peace.

I hesitated for a bit before posting again, not wanting to stir up the waves - this is your forum, and I know that I really don't belong here.

So why? Well, perhaps to agree with you, that the regional boards on VJ are generally very supportive during our long visa waits.

My regional "home" is the Thai threads. We don't have a full forum as you RU guys do, we have 2 threads - the Sawasdee3 thread (in the K1 forum for historical reasons) and the Thailand thread (in the Asia-ex-China regional forum). If you were to see our banter in Sawasdee3, you'd probably find it very similar to what I imagine goes on here in RU. Just people swapping accounts of their interviews, embassy procedures, what they do while they're waiting, what they like about Thailand (Russia, in your case), what they don't like, etc. I've spent enough time in other regional forums (particularly Canada, since I grew up in Canada and am a dual US/Canadian citizen) to know that this is generally true in VJ regional forums.

Most of my Thai brothers on Sawasdee don't "get" that I crossed over to being active on the dark-side of the Off Topic board. (My fiancee doesn't really get it either!) It's a jungle there, for sure, and not to everyone's liking. I find it fun and entertaining. I tend to post very differently in Sawasdee (or in the Stuck AP@NVC thread, where I used to be very active), than I do in OT. You can see a recent sample of what I mean here - my message tonight on Sawasdee regarding my recent (last night!) K-1 approval, and good wishes to a fellow brother having his interview right now in BKK. Seems pretty normal, right? Not a "n00b basher" at all!

In short, I'm not terribly different from you : I'm in a visa process, have been waiting through it since Sept, and now my fiancee is finally coming here, just in time for 4th of July fireworks! To pass the time, I act the clown on OT for a bit. All the "noobz" stuff is not directed or intended for folks who are trying to use VJ for its intended purposes: information and support. It's mostly just an internal gag that perhaps went a bit too far here and there.

Anyway, good luck with your visa process, and glad you find VJ useful, and the RU forum supportive! :thumbs:

Ron

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ron,

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I wish all the best for you and your Thai sweetie! We are all in this together . . .

Steve

05/04/09 -- K1 visa, NOA-1

09/18/09 -- K1, NOA-2

01/26/09 -- Interview passed in Moscow

03/02/10 -- POE, JFK airport

05/23/10 -- Wedding!

11/16/10 -- 2-year green card approved

04/01/13 -- 10-year green card approved

11/23/13 -- N-400 mailed

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
We are all in this together

Red Green ?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
When I have perused VJ forums other than this one (believe me, I rarely bother anymore), I have noticed many derogatory smears against "noobs" or "newbies". As if the significance of one's opinions is proportionate to the number of blue or orange boxes under one's username. To me it seems to be elitist, bullying behavior. It reminds me of Dr. Seuss's Sneetches with "stars upon thars".

Fortunately, this doesn't seem to happen in the Russia forum.

You guys rock.

I love the Sneetches.

I also like the one with the pants with no one in them.

He was referring to the point and moral of the story of the sneetches. There's no question the story rocks or that the existential quandry posed by the sneetches reflects manz precarious state as an ephemeral entity. B)

sneetches-711589.jpg

.... I knew that :unsure:

I was just sayin' .... :hehe:

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

I agree with my brother in arms, we have been through all the trials, and tribulations. My wife and I, were sixteen months getting her cr1 visa. Without support of the older members here, the mental, as well as the procedural part of the journey, would have been most difficult.

During our journey, I relied on advice from some of the VJ elders. Early on I determined which members I would rely on. They offered clear concise, proven instructions. Also, during the mentally trying times, there were members to offer moral support. I am most appreciative of both.

The time spent here, has allowed me to build friendships with a large, culturally diverse group. If not for these friends, VJ would be easy to leave. I am not comfortable giving advice that can delay, or prevent others reaching the ultimate goal. Therefore, I hang out in OT.

Awhile back, I noticed bad info being given. The person, was posting things that could have had severe penalties.

I started the NOOBS, Bad Advice Given thread. The thread morphed into a home for older members. After a few posts it became a fun place to hang out. We never intended it to intimidate, or cause hard feelings.....

peace out

john :shocked:

Filed: Timeline
I agree with my brother in arms, we have been through all the trials, and tribulations. My wife and I, were sixteen months getting her cr1 visa. Without support of the older members here, the mental, as well as the procedural part of the journey, would have been most difficult.

During our journey, I relied on advice from some of the VJ elders. Early on I determined which members I would rely on. They offered clear concise, proven instructions. Also, during the mentally trying times, there were members to offer moral support. I am most appreciative of both.

The time spent here, has allowed me to build friendships with a large, culturally diverse group. If not for these friends, VJ would be easy to leave. I am not comfortable giving advice that can delay, or prevent others reaching the ultimate goal. Therefore, I hang out in OT.

Awhile back, I noticed bad info being given. The person, was posting things that could have had severe penalties.

I started the NOOBS, Bad Advice Given thread. The thread morphed into a home for older members. After a few posts it became a fun place to hang out. We never intended it to intimidate, or cause hard feelings.....

peace out

john :shocked:

It was all your fault and you didn't even get a title or a C4C siggy? I would complain to the leadership. :devil:

Hi Steve! :star:

Edited by Mister_Bill

Speaking of conspiracy theories... I note that my red C4C sig has suddenly and mysteriously disappeared....hmmmm....

You know, now that you're officially a member of a communist group you have to list that every time you fill out government paperwork. Just sayin, commie.

And just to keep us rolling on the conspiracy theories...... Here in Ohio we're getting a bunch of free money from the FED for a high-speed rail. We have absolutely no need for it and even if Uncle Sugar does buy it for us, we have to operate it somehow. Now, word around the campfire is the reason our governor and many others are pushing so hard for it is not to create jobs, green up our state, connect all our cities, etc., but to connect all those nice new FEMA "relocation" camps.

Did I say death camps? I meant happy camps!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
someday brother, when I achieve status one will be given to me :whistle:

You meant to say when Suzy makes one for me... LOL

I really had a lot of fun in that thread, it was a blast. I especially liked all the silly pictures we posted.

Oh and I must say hi to the whole Russia crew... since we're coming into your turf to post :)

Oh and BTW Slim you're invited to join our protelieariat (or however the heck you spell it). Your first order of business would be to post funny commie pics.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.