sasaqlain

If I-485 is Denied, What Happens Next?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hope For the Best, Work For The Worst.

I am curious to know what happens if at the interview, your I-485 is denied. What follows next? Since, There is no right to appeal once adjusting from B-1/B-2 etc visas, what does denial mean?

Do they give You a timeframe to leave?

A right to file a motion to reconsider?

Slap you with a re-entry ban immediately?

Arrest & detain you for deportation?

Senior and experienced members, would you throw some light on my query keeping my application in mind.

Thank You.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

your interview is the 21st of July why are you thinking of a denial? PMA ( positive mental attitude ) works wonders or did I miss something?

My husband adjusted from a B1/B2 visa and he had overstayed this by 6 years or so at the time of our interview :)

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline
your interview is the 21st of July why are you thinking of a denial? PMA ( positive mental attitude ) works wonders or did I miss something?

My husband adjusted from a B1/B2 visa and he had overstayed this by 6 years or so at the time of our interview :)

:) I am thinking positive. So positive that I didn't even consider hiring a lawyer. You are right. PMA does indeed work wonders and I thank you for your encouraging reply, but at times the thought does cross my mind. Not that I have anything to fear or hide, its just that innocent cases have been thrown into the garbage un-intentonally too. I won't blame USCIS. Maybe I didn't prepare my case properly to convince the officer. But you are absolutely RIGHT! Thank You for boosting my confidence :)

Edited by saspak

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am curious to know what happens if at the interview, your I-485 is denied. What follows next? Since, There is no right to appeal once adjusting from B-1/B-2 etc visas, what does denial mean?

Senior and experienced members, would you throw some light on my query keeping my application in mind.

Thank You.

I think you might be confused.. it's adjustment from the VWP that does not allow appeal.

Any of the above is possible, depending on the reason for the denial.

You can always pack a toothbrush in your pocket. :devil::)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Poor you. I know your feeling, I've been there! I think I probably mentioned before that my other half adjusted from VWP, and he had overstayed for a matter of years. Yeah, I had visions of them dragging him away from me at the interview. :crying:

But, like us, you have excellent evidence, and are very well prepared. I can't speak to your case directly, but I do know that many people adjust from tourist visa/VWP successfully. The few tragic cases you hear are rare, but well publicized, so you hear about those, and the successes, not so much.

At our interview, VWP/overstay never came up. It does get really nerve racking the closer you get to interview, I know! Just try to keep smiling. :D

24q38dy.jpg

Thank You.

I think you might be confused.. it's adjustment from the VWP that does not allow appeal.

IT'S OK FOR SOME PEOPLE TO RESPOND LIKE THIS?

NOT OK FOR OTHERS??????????

the toothbrush comment was way out of line, but I guess it is ok if you are the one that made it!

LOOKS LIKE NOOB BASHING TO SOME....

Timeline

Thank You.

So, Are you saying, If denied, I would have a right to appeal. I thought B-1/B-2 adjusters fell in the same category as VWP while adjusting status!

IR5 For Parent

Timeline

john & jean: Its OK. I actually enjoyed meauxna's humour. I am sure he didn't mean it that way :)

trillium13: You are right. Since you have been through it, you know what i must be going through. anxiety is getting to me :) Thank you for being there for me.

IR5 For Parent

Timeline
If 485 is denied, it means you will never get a chance to "adjust status" in america. It's that simple. So treat your wife nice, and don't F8ck things up, man.

In My case its the other way round. My wife is being extra nice to me, so that I dont go back to my extravangant lifestyle in my own home country. Anyways, not an answer I am looking for.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
So, Are you saying, If denied, I would have a right to appeal. I thought B-1/B-2 adjusters fell in the same category as VWP while adjusting status!

Yes, it's the VWP entrants that have no option to appeal. Entering with a visa (or even being paroled in) offers you more legal protection.

Hopefully that is good news that you will never need to test. :)

If 485 is denied, it means you will never get a chance to "adjust status" in america. It's that simple. So treat your wife nice, and don't F8ck things up, man.

That is not true.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Still worrying Saspak? :wow:

A lawyer would make a lot of money off you :)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline
Still worrying Saspak? :wow:

A lawyer would make a lot of money off you :)

:) Bobby_Umit! Can you blame me. You are so right. A lawyer would definitely have a blast with a worrysome soul like mine. :)

Yes, it's the VWP entrants that have no option to appeal. Entering with a visa (or even being paroled in) offers you more legal protection.

Hopefully that is good news that you will never need to test. :)

That is not true.

That surely is great news. I could just hug you right now:) Thanks for the useful info !!! :dance:

IR5 For Parent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.