kayandnigel

Irish Guys

81 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I was doing my homework on the band and came coming across this video here of Dave King(lead singer Flogging Molly) and I am beginning to wonder if he really is Irish, no Irish man would be caught in those spandex. This was Daves band in the early 80's.

:lol:

Well..........erm.........I've never really met any irishman (north or south) who I considered to be on the cutting edge of fashion............

I agree, I mean really. Track suit pants? Uh, no.

And mine basically lets me dress him. He says I know better than he ever will. :wacko:

I know Exactly what you mean about the track suit pants :blink:

Also seems that footy shirts are all he wears!

Thank goodness neither of those things are an option in my husband's mind! Though he does wear a lot of t-shirts and jeans, but I can handle that.

K-1

9-5-08 Sent I-129F via FedEx

9-13-08 NOA1

12-24-08 NOA2

6-11-09 Civil Ceremony

AOS

7-7-09 Mailed AOS

7-27-09 TRANSFERRED TO CSC

8-29-09 EAD card production ordered/AP Notice Approved

11-9-09 Green Card production ordered

11-19-09 Green Card arrived!

Nov. 2010 Vacation Ireland!

11-9-11 Removal of Conditions

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I will have to find some of there music.

Yes your right lead singer is a native born Irishman but because the others weren't they dont count? Its good music.

Nah. It's just a pet peeve of my husband's when people refer to themselves as "irish" when it was really their granny from Cork who came over on the boat in 1890 that was irish................

We both have that pet peeve. We live in a heavily Irish-decent city and a lot of people notice my hubby's accent and say oh yeah, I'm Irish too, my granny came over, blah blah. We just not and smile and smirk when we walk away. Most people have no clue about Ireland, never even set foot in Eire.

Hey now, my granny came over on a boat from Ireland... try to understand that for most of us Americans, our heritage give us some kind of identity, especially for those of us who are a blend of many nationalities....the big melting pot. I think of my little son, who is half Filipino....he can and should feel some sense of pride with his heritage when he gets older. If he runs into Filipinos in his adult life and is able to speak to them in their native tongue, I hope they will not regard him reaching out to them as annoying. We all are looking for ways to connect with one another...at least that's where my ancestral pride comes from. :)

Aw #######, now I feel bad. Well, I think if any of the people I was referring to ever bothered to actually have an interest in their heritage at any other point than when it's convenient to them maybe we'd feel differently. If anyone walked up to my husband and started speaking Irish I'm sure he'd feel differently! Having Irish "heritage" is a common claim from a lot of people here that don't actually have a clue. Of course this doesn't include ALL people who claim Irish heritage, but we have found few people that have actually visited, or really know anything about the country at all. And when we do find someone that's been there they ask him if he knows Seamus from Donegal, or some other non-specific person.

I also suspect that, generally speaking, claiming to have Filipino heritage has a little more substance to it and happens less frequently. Maybe I'm off the mark there...

I agree with the other posters about claiming heritage when you are less than a 1/4th and have never been to the country, don't speak the language and know NOTHING about it's culture. If you don't have at least one of those, then you aren't of that nationality, stop claiming it. We always have people coming up to us talking about how their great grandmother is from the UK and then ask us where my husband is from in London. I just walk away. However when we have a kid we plan on giving them as much acess to their heritage as possible, traveling back as much as possible AND they will have citizenship of that country, so they actually will be English, just like your kid will actually be Phillipino. And I do think the Irish, English, german, polish etc connection is more common than claiming PI heritage.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Other Timeline
Nice, I will have to find some of there music.

Yes your right lead singer is a native born Irishman but because the others weren't they dont count? Its good music.

Nah. It's just a pet peeve of my husband's when people refer to themselves as "irish" when it was really their granny from Cork who came over on the boat in 1890 that was irish................

We both have that pet peeve. We live in a heavily Irish-decent city and a lot of people notice my hubby's accent and say oh yeah, I'm Irish too, my granny came over, blah blah. We just not and smile and smirk when we walk away. Most people have no clue about Ireland, never even set foot in Eire.

Hey now, my granny came over on a boat from Ireland... try to understand that for most of us Americans, our heritage give us some kind of identity, especially for those of us who are a blend of many nationalities....the big melting pot. I think of my little son, who is half Filipino....he can and should feel some sense of pride with his heritage when he gets older. If he runs into Filipinos in his adult life and is able to speak to them in their native tongue, I hope they will not regard him reaching out to them as annoying. We all are looking for ways to connect with one another...at least that's where my ancestral pride comes from. :)

Aw #######, now I feel bad. Well, I think if any of the people I was referring to ever bothered to actually have an interest in their heritage at any other point than when it's convenient to them maybe we'd feel differently. If anyone walked up to my husband and started speaking Irish I'm sure he'd feel differently! Having Irish "heritage" is a common claim from a lot of people here that don't actually have a clue. Of course this doesn't include ALL people who claim Irish heritage, but we have found few people that have actually visited, or really know anything about the country at all. And when we do find someone that's been there they ask him if he knows Seamus from Donegal, or some other non-specific person.

I also suspect that, generally speaking, claiming to have Filipino heritage has a little more substance to it and happens less frequently. Maybe I'm off the mark there...

I agree with the other posters about claiming heritage when you are less than a 1/4th and have never been to the country, don't speak the language and know NOTHING about it's culture. If you don't have at least one of those, then you aren't of that nationality, stop claiming it. We always have people coming up to us talking about how their great grandmother is from the UK and then ask us where my husband is from in London. I just walk away. However when we have a kid we plan on giving them as much acess to their heritage as possible, traveling back as much as possible AND they will have citizenship of that country, so they actually will be English, just like your kid will actually be Phillipino. And I do think the Irish, English, german, polish etc connection is more common than claiming PI heritage.

Right.

When I started my new job about a year ago, I was telling a co-worker my husband is from Northern Ireland. She started with the "oh my husband is an Irishman too" stuff and for about 5 seconds I thought I had found another ex-pat. Then she started about his red hair, etc. and I knew I had another "wannabe" on my hands. :P

My lineage is german/english/french/american indian. I don't go about claiming to "be" one of those. I'm a muttley gene-pool American.

Filed: Timeline
I married an Irish-German (born in NY).

His family convinced him that he is Irish.

great husband, great and fun family...

Same with my mom's family. She is a quarter Irish, and her father was German-Irish, but because she carried the Irish as her maiden name, she thinks of herself as 100% Irish, although her mother was 100% English. Makes it hard to explain all the blue eyed children and grandchildrn though.

Same with my mom's family. She is a quarter Irish, and her father was German-Irish, but because she carried the Irish as her maiden name, she thinks of herself as 100% Irish, although her mother was 100% English. Makes it hard to explain all the blue eyed children and grandchildrn though.

?

Filed: Timeline

Same with my mom's family. She is a quarter Irish, and her father was German-Irish, but because she carried the Irish as her maiden name, she thinks of herself as 100% Irish, although her mother was 100% English. Makes it hard to explain all the blue eyed children and grandchildren though.

?

:secret:

She's devout Catholic. It just wouldn't do to be associated with those Protestant Brits, or those Evil Germans. She is a strange lady.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

That's understandable. It's great to feel some kind of ancestral connection though and for many of us Americans, we've lost that in the great melting pot. Not many Americans can trace their American ancestry beyond 200 years and I've seen how both my parents, who are well into their years, yearn to be reconnected. My parents have traveled many times to Ireland, looked at grave sites of ancestors and my father has told me that he really feels a sense of connection. He's also retraced his roots with ancestors that have lived here in America. That's where I see this urge to claim ancestry....people just want to feel connected, particularly in this evermore disconnected world of ours. :)

if your grandmother/father is Irish you can claim Irish citizenship, however, even if they did come off the boat 100 years ago

And you can naturalize and become an American citizen. That doesn't change the fact of where you were born.

Point being - a person's heritage is just that. A heritage. That's why they call it "descent".