Aquarelka

GC holder giving birth abroad

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello,

the best friend of mine is pregnant with the twins. She has a conditional green card, just got one recently. Her husband is a USC, he is the husband. She wants to go back to her home country to give birth to her babies for multiple reasons. But the main reason is that her husband will probably be out of the USA at the due date and she has no one else in the are. In her home country she has family support, etc.

First way for her is:

As her husband is a USC, he can report birth of the children abroad. We know this part. But to be able to do so, both parents must be present at the embassy, esp her husband as he is a USC.

Second:

But we also heard that LPRs can bring their children to the USA somehow. You dont need to go to US embassy, you just buy a ticket for you and the baby and go. At the US port of entrance the baby gets his/her status of permanent resident. Have you heard about this? Is it true? Can you do this being married to a US citizen? She is considering this variant and she wants her mom to go with her (of course if her mom needs to get a visa first).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello,

the best friend of mine is pregnant with the twins. She has a conditional green card, just got one recently. Her husband is a USC, he is the husband. She wants to go back to her home country to give birth to her babies for multiple reasons. But the main reason is that her husband will probably be out of the USA at the due date and she has no one else in the are. In her home country she has family support, etc.

First way for her is:

As her husband is a USC, he can report birth of the children abroad. We know this part. But to be able to do so, both parents must be present at the embassy, esp her husband as he is a USC.

Second:

But we also heard that LPRs can bring their children to the USA somehow. You dont need to go to US embassy, you just buy a ticket for you and the baby and go. At the US port of entrance the baby gets his/her status of permanent resident. Have you heard about this? Is it true? Can you do this being married to a US citizen? She is considering this variant and she wants her mom to go with her (of course if her mom needs to get a visa first).

no... without a passport they will not get in. In addition, a US consulate will NOT issue a visa to a person who has a potential claim to US citizenship until that claim has been resolved.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
no... without a passport they will not get in. In addition, a US consulate will NOT issue a visa to a person who has a potential claim to US citizenship until that claim has been resolved.

Thank you! So, she has to stay there till her husband is able to come and bring them all back to the US. Okay

Filing a birth abroad can take from 2 to 6 months. You also have to have passports for the babies to get into the US so it can take from 2-8 months for everything to happen. It just depends on the country.

04-12-08 Married

06-11-08 Mailed I-130 Package

06-18-08 NOA1

08-08-08 NOA2

10-22-08 Interview USEM

10-28-08 Visa Received

11-01-08 POE

That was fast!

Got to love the fact my wife was preggy and even with a RFE @ NVC she was still here in under 5 months!

Timeline
Filing a birth abroad can take from 2 to 6 months. You also have to have passports for the babies to get into the US so it can take from 2-8 months for everything to happen. It just depends on the country.

so long?????????? 2 months is not that bad, it is the time she plans to stay there. But 8 months????? BTW, she cant be absent for more than 6 months in order to keep her GC

Is it true?

Edited by Aquarelka

Timeline

And here is the citation of what we found in the internet

"As outlined in 9 FAM 42.1 N1.1, a child under two years of age who was born of a Permanent Resident Alien mother during a temporary visit abroad does not require an immigrant visa in order to travel to the United States if the alien parent is in possession of a valid Form I-551 (i.e. green card), a valid reentry permit, or an SB-1 visa. The child must be admitted to the U.S. within two years of birth and the accompanying parent must be applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child. We suggest that the accompanying parent carry documentary evidence of his or her relationship to the child, including the child's passport and birth certificate."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why would she try to come back with her children as a permanent residents when they can automatically get their US citizenship through their father. It doesn't make sense to do that.

Also, if she plans to stay outside of the US for more than a year, she will need to file for a Re-entry Permit BEFORE she leaves the US. If this permit is approved she will be able to stay outside of the US for up to two years and come back without losing her green card. She will have to file form I-131 and pay $305.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

so long?????????? 2 months is not that bad, it is the time she plans to stay there. But 8 months????? BTW, she cant be absent for more than 6 months in order to keep her GC

Is it true?

She would consider flying back to the US with a 2 month old infant? I have a 1 month old and she will not travel ready anytime soon, particularly for that long a flight... at 9 mos. maybe....

YMMV

Nothing wrong with traveling with an infant. I have seen women with a 3-week old on a latest flight and the baby was handling it well. It's just about getting organized to get the passport on time.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
Why would she try to come back with her children as a permanent residents when they can automatically get their US citizenship through their father. It doesn't make sense to do that.

Also, if she plans to stay outside of the US for more than a year, she will need to file for a Re-entry Permit BEFORE she leaves the US. If this permit is approved she will be able to stay outside of the US for up to two years and come back without losing her green card. She will have to file form I-131 and pay $305.

Diana

I am 100% agree with you. That is what I am saying to her. She is not gonna DO it, she is just thinking over all the variants

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi,

at last i can now reply and been dying to do this. been a member for almost two months but i can only read but cant do replies at all. well, thank goodness now i can communicate with all the heaven sent angels that are here and having same journey with me...

i had the same situation with this too... im an LPR and gave birth in the philippines during my temporary visit.

- visit the embassy and ask for child waiver plan.

and they will give you all the requirements that they need.

- had an interview with the executive consule and was looking for all the proofs that im the

mom. (pregnancy pictures, birth pictures, i even had the prints from my ultrasounds

and if worse comes to worst... they will ask for DNA test.

- 10 days processing time. they will give you 2 sealed envelop.

1 for the transportation company coming to US and 1 for poe

- have to fly to the US 30 days after the envelop was given.

- baby should not be over 2 yrs old. and should be the first trip of mom after giving birth.

they are just tidious with the proofs but as long as you have all of those then i think you should be fine!

GOOD LUCK!

------USCIS-- married since March 28, 2005 - I130 filed: july 27, 2007

NOA #1: Aug 6, 2007 NOA #2: Oct. 29, 2009 - APPROVED

--NVC--December 12, 2009 - Case# generated from NVC

December 17, 2009 - hubby received his letter from NVC[/font]

April 13, 2010 - received DS-3032 via email

April 19, 2010 - sent back DS-3032 to NVC thru DHL (did not email a copy)

April 23, 2010 - DS3032 was received per operator and reviewed, received IV and AOS bill thru mail.

April 29, 2010 - paid AOS ($70) fee bill

April 30, 2010 - paid IV fee bill ($400.00 each beneficiary)

May 01, 2010 - AOS shows "PAID" in the system, printed cover sheet.

May 05, 2010 - iv bill shows "PAID"

June 24, 2010 - sent AOS via USPS/certified and prioritized

July 14, 2010 - received RFE. nvc is requesting again for Tax Transcript 2009

Sept 14, 2010 - Mailed RFE documents via usps

Sept 22, 2010 - mailed complete DS-230 via DHL

Oct 14, 2010 - received RFE about beneficiary's police clearances

Nov. 30, 2010 - sent corrected DS-230 with correct years of residency via USPS

Dec. 21, 2010 - CASE COMPLETED!!!

April 28, 2011 - interview date was set to JUNE 28, 2011 @6:30AM

June 15, 2011 - MEDICAL EXAM and will be back fri (6/17/11) for results

June 28, 2011 - Interview

July 12, 2011 - arrived at LAX - and we'll live happily ever after!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.