kllybrgn

Green Card Approved

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So I just got the letter stating that I should receive my new card within 60 days. It took about 10 months, but at least there were no real hastles. . .so far.

I have a couple of questions about where to go from here:

1. I still have the Social Security Card that says "valid for work only with DHS authorization". Can I get a new SSC card now that does not say this? What do most people do?

2. My other question is regarding any kids we have (I am currently pregnant). I was hoping for some opinions of what others do. I was not planning on becoming a citizen but was wondering about the dual citizenship status. Does anyone do it? How about for kids? I was thinking it may make things easiear for them in the future but don't know much about it at this point. Does anyone have any good info or links that I could look into?

Thank you for any information you can provide!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
So I just got the letter stating that I should receive my new card within 60 days. It took about 10 months, but at least there were no real hastles. . .so far.

1. I still have the Social Security Card that says "valid for work only with DHS authorization". Can I get a new SSC card now that does not say this? What do most people do?

2. My other question is regarding any kids we have (I am currently pregnant). I was hoping for some opinions of what others do. I was not planning on becoming a citizen but was wondering about the dual citizenship status. Does anyone do it? How about for kids? I was thinking it may make things easiear for them in the future but don't know much about it at this point. Does anyone have any good info or links that I could look into?

1) you could have done this with your first greencard... you just need to visit your SSA office and update your status with them

2) You do not need to be a citizen in order to allow the kids to be US citizens... Canada and US both recognize dual nationality. You will most likely need to report the birth to a canadian Consulate. I am certain they have this info on a website for you to read, otherwise post this part of the question in the Canada regional forum

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

1) you could have done this with your first greencard... you just need to visit your SSA office and update your status with them

2) You do not need to be a citizen in order to allow the kids to be US citizens... Canada and US both recognize dual nationality. You will most likely need to report the birth to a canadian Consulate. I am certain they have this info on a website for you to read, otherwise post this part of the question in the Canada regional forum

________________________________________________________________________________

__

1.- What happens now if my old green card is expired but I have the letter of approval lifting my conditional residency and a stamp on my passport with the extension on it. Can I still remove in your SS Card "valid for work only with DHS authorization". , with the above mentioned as proof, or do I have to wait for the 10 year grean card.

I am thinking that your baby will be born in the US, if so, they will automatically be a US Citizen. If you are a Canadian Citizen, then any child you have born outside of Canada will automatically be a Canadian Citizen too. If you need proof of this, then you can apply for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

________________________________________________________________________________

__

1.- What happens now if my old green card is expired but I have the letter of approval lifting my conditional residency and a stamp on my passport with the extension on it. Can I still remove in your SS Card "valid for work only with DHS authorization". , with the above mentioned as proof, or do I have to wait for the 10 year grean card.

I got my SSC immediately when I arrived in th ecountry. My SSC doesn't state any of those: Valid for......I got here by CR visa and I have my 2 year green card, I started to look at my social security card but I can't see any marks on that. So could you tell me where it is wriiten on the SSC?

Thanks

:dance: Congrats on your approval. I came here on a CR-1 visa and my SS card don't have that kind of notation. Try to go to your nearest SSA Office and change your status.

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

:dance: Congrats on your approval. I came here on a CR-1 visa and my SS card don't have that kind of notation. Try to go to your nearest SSA Office and change your status.

My card has not marks either. I feel relieved now

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I think my card has that on because when I first applied for my green card, I also applied for EAD (employment authorization document. . . i think). This was so I could begin work faster while waiting for my conditional green card to be approved, the EAD only took 30 days to receive whereas the green card took about 9 months. I was already living in the country and got married before applying for any type of legal status - maybe that is why it is a little different.

Guess I will head to the SSC office as soon as I can.

Thank everyone for all of the great info.

:dancing: :dancing: Congrats :dancing: :dancing:

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Kllybrgn,

Congrats on your recent I-751 approval and congrats on your pregnancy too. Hope you get your new card soon too. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, when is your baby due

Lol...for me it took 10 months too (with major hassles along the way)...Oh well....Glad that is done and over with!

You can read about that ordeal here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2999069

In answer to your other questions:

1) Yes, you should get an unrestricted SSN. You can probably go to your local SSA to inquire further about that (and make sure to bring along your other identification too)

2) As for Dual Canadian/American Citizenship status, yes, that can be done. You keep your Canadian citizenship for the rest of your life (unless you legally declare that you don't want such), and at the same time you can have American citizenship too (if you choose to pursue such). As for kids/children born the USA, and have Canadian parents, they can be dual Canadian/American citizens too. From what I've read, all the parents have to do is go to their local Canadian Consulate and apply for a "Canadian Citizenship Certificate" for them, which should take only a few weeks for that.

For more information aboud Canadian/American children, check out this past VJ message thead on the VJ Canada forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162577&hl=baby+canada+citizenship

://http://www.visajourney.com/forums/i...a+citizenship

://http://www.visajourney.com/forums/i...a+citizenship

For more information about the advantages of dual Canadian/American citizenship, check out this recent VJ message thread on the Canada forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=201413

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant (Soon to be Canadian/American...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
I think my card has that on because when I first applied for my green card, I also applied for EAD (employment authorization document. . . i think). This was so I could begin work faster while waiting for my conditional green card to be approved, the EAD only took 30 days to receive whereas the green card took about 9 months. I was already living in the country and got married before applying for any type of legal status - maybe that is why it is a little different.

Guess I will head to the SSC office as soon as I can.

Thank everyone for all of the great info.

It just depends on the type of visa you are/enter the country with. As a CR, you already have your green card and are employment authorized. In my case for example, I came in with a K1 which does not allow work but allow you to obtain a SSC in order to get married and my card has the restriction on it - Now, when i get my green card, I will just have to go there and remove the restriction.

Hope this makes sense

:star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.