13 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to submit the AOS package, just have few questions:

We're k-1 applying for AP document, therefore, there is no need to fill out part 4, 5, and 6. However, we do need to include a letter of explanation per part 7 requirement, correct?

How difficult would it be to re-schedule the AOS interview date?

The $1,010 filing fee covers AOS, EAD, and AP document, correct?

All 3 abovementioned forms should be sent to the same Chicago address, correct?

Thanks.

We're k-1 applying for AP document, therefore, there is no need to fill out part 4, 5, and 6. However, we do need to include a letter of explanation per part 7 requirement, correct?

Correct

I wouldn't recommend doing it. I have seen to many horror stories of denials due to miscommunication on missed dates.

Yes

as per the guides

Thanks.

i need more coffee... :)

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I wish to apply for advance parole and obtain the necessary permission to travel to my home country prior to receipt of permanent residency status in the event of emergency or family illness. I do not have any specific plans to travel at this time.

Rescheduling green card interview may add several months to the issuance of permanent resident card. If you don’t contact USCIS to schedule your interview within 1 year after USCIS closes your case, then your application will be denied. USCIS will not notify you if your case is closed.

Yes

Yes

Thanks.

2008 K1Timeline:

I-129F Application

10/25 Received letter from USEM

11/21-11/22 Med Exam

12/02 Interview date, 7AM (Approved)

12/10 Visa on Hand

Date & Place of POE: 12/17 Detroit

03/10/09 Wedding

2009 AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

4/07 Mailed AOS Package

4/08 Package received

4/14 Cashed Check/

4/18 Biometrics I-485

4/29 Biometrics done

5/02 CSC Transferred

5/05 I-485 Touched (This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)(30 days)

5/12 I-485 Touched

5/15 EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approval notice sent

5/18 EAD/AP Touched

5/20 Touched

5/21 AP Received by Mail (44days)

5/22 EAD Received by Mail (45days)

6/25 GC card production ordered!

6/30 Welcome Letter notice received dated 6/26

7/07 Approval notice sent

7/08 GC received by mail

2012 N-400 Timeline:

5/22 Sent

5/30 Cashed Check

Thanks for all the replies. One more question rescheduling the interview. Since it's not recommended to reschedule the actual interview, if one wishes to delay the process a bit, would it be easier to reschedule the bio-metrics appointment? The reason I'm asking this question is that we're planning to leave the country for 7 weeks starting mid of Oct, which is 5 months from now, i.e. right around the normal 5-6 months processing time frame.

Edited by rdchen

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am confused please help regarding AOS

My fiance arrived on 08/19/2008 and her k1 visa expiration date was 11/12/2008. We got married on 10/24/2008 which is before 90 days deadline. We didn't apply for AOS yet because of the high fee and now I am preparing my forms. Recently I read somewhere to apply as soon as possible before k1 visa expiration and I didn't know. Did I mess up? please help

Thanks

07 - 04 - 07 -- Mailed to CSC

07 - 07 - 07 -- Check Cashed (Received WAC# off of check)

07 - 17 - 07 -- NOA1

11 - 31 - 07 -- NOA2 Issued

12 - 31 - 07 -- Mailed to NVC

01 - 07 - 08 -- NVC mailed to ISB Embassy

01 - 20 - 08 -- Received Packet 3.5 (First Round)

02 - 15 - 08 -- Sent Packet 3.5

05 - 13 - 08 -- Interview Date

My fiance arrived on 08/19/2008 and her k1 visa expiration date was 11/12/2008. We got married on 10/24/2008 which is before 90 days deadline. We didn't apply for AOS yet because of the high fee and now I am preparing my forms. Recently I read somewhere to apply as soon as possible before k1 visa expiration and I didn't know. Did I mess up? please help

Thanks

I am in the same boat as you! Just started the paperwork today, do anybody knows, if you have to submit I-130+fees along with the AOS packet too? :unsure:

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : Las Vegas

California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-06-14

NOA Date : 2011-06-16

Bio. Appt. : 2011-07-26

Interview Date :

Approved : 2011-08-17

She

May be the reason I survive

The why and wherefore I'm alive

The one I'll care for through the rough in ready years

Me

I'll take her laughter and her tears

And make them all my souvenirs

For where she goes I've got to be

The meaning of my life is .....She

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks

I am in the same boat as you! Just started the paperwork today, do anybody knows, if you have to submit I-130+fees along with the AOS packet too? :unsure:

K-1 status adjustment does NOT require and I-130 if the marriage occured BEFORE the exiration of the I-94

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks

Submit as soon as you are able... Your wife is accruing "out of status" time and it could come back to haunt you in the future. For example, your wife will now not be allowed to re-enter the USA if she leaves for any reason before her GC arrives, EVEN IF you have Advance parole because the moment she leaves she will be subject to a three year re-entry "ban".

YMMV

Thanks for all the replies. One more question rescheduling the interview. Since it's not recommended to reschedule the actual interview, if one wishes to delay the process a bit, would it be easier to reschedule the bio-metrics appointment? The reason I'm asking this question is that we're planning to leave the country for 7 weeks starting mid of Oct, which is 5 months from now, i.e. right around the normal 5-6 months processing time frame.

Do you absolutely HAVE to leave the country at that time? I don't know if this is how the USCIS thinks, but to me, that looks like you're putting your AOS on a low priority. From what I've read here and in other forums, it's best to do things the way THEY want you to do them, to avoid any confusion or delay, or give them any reason to think about denying you.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
More questions:

My wife has adpoted my last name on the marriage certificate, do we use the new names for AOS filing or the old name?

Her current name, of course. There are plenty boxes in the various forms where previous names are to be given.

What is the lead time between notice of AOS interview & the actual interview date?

Thanks.

We've got the letter with the interview date March 9, and the interview was April 17.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In order to what you have to do now. The list is as follows

Get SSN (but if your I-94 is about to expired then wait for the GC or EAD, then you can make the SSN)SSN will not accept your application of SSN if your I-94 is expring in somedays.

Get married

Register it (asap)

Go to the doc (listed on USCIS website) and done with ur vaccination. If you have done it already, transcribed it by USCIS registered doctors. If not then search for any local USCIS registered doctor and get your madical done, As I know, these days these doctors are now in competition to do USCIS medical so they have manimize their rates. you can easily find one in your area. (If need more help with medical, you can text me)

In the meanwhile you would have plenty of time to arrange the documents you would need in your AOS application.

Here's is an extensive list of what would u need in order to ready your packet. But again this list can be changed according to the situation you could have. Normally this is what I have followed. CERDIT GOES TO NichNick (Fellow VJ member)for the compilation of this list.

marry within 90 days time frame, and apply asap. applying after 90 days won't be a problem but don't delay without any reason.

I-485 (Adjustment of Status)

Photographs (2) of immigrant (passport type)

Photocopy of birth certificate of immigrant with translaton

Photocopy of passport biographical page and K1 visa page

Form G-325A Biographic Information Sheet (immigrant)

Form I-864 Affidavit of Support (by USC) with photocopies of supporting documents: This varies by each applicant so here's generic suggestions

---Employment letter

---3 tax returns including copies of W2s (Photocopy)

---six recent pay stubs (Photocopy)

(If needed)Form I-864 Affidavit of Support (by Co-sponsor) with photocopies of supporting documents:

---Proof of co-sponsors citizenship/status, ie US birth ceritificate, bio page of passport, naturalization papers, or LPR status

---Employment letter

---3 tax returns including copies of W2s (Photocopy)

---six recent pay stubs (Photocopy)

Photocopy of I-797 Notice of Action, I-129 Petition Approval Notice from USCIS (That's your NOA2)

Certified copy of Marriage Certificate

Photocopy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record (card from the plane, may be stapled in passport)

Form I-693 with the immunization section filled out by a US Civil Surgeon, signed and sealed by him. Read the instructions for the form.

or DS-3025 from UK medical if all shots were completed at Knightsbridge if you want to take that chance

I-765 (Employment Authorization)

Photocopy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record

I-131 (Advance Parole travel document)

Statement of circumstances that warrant issuance of advance parole. (check the bold statement at the end of this reply). This is what you would have to type/copy/paste. But also mentioned any future travel dates if you could have. But normally if you dont have any specific dates of travel, copy the same format and take a print out.

Photocopy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record

And a check for $1010 made out to the Department of Homeland Security

That's 3 separate applications with supporting evidence all mailed together in one envelope with one check. They will get processed in different places, so that's why the duplication of evidence. You don't have to do all three, but the second two are free if sent with the AOS and will get you authorized to work or travel sooner than waiting for the green card to arrive in most cases. Green card could take 6 months. Work and travel 60-90 days.

Do not work until the I-765 is approved and you have the EAD card

Do not leave the US until the I-131 is approved (K1s) and you get the travel documents or you will not be allowed back in. Once you have a green card, then no problem.

I-131, Application for Travel Document, Part 7

Statement of circumstances that warrant issuance of advance parole.

I wish to apply for advance parole and obtain the necessary permission to travel to my home country prior to receipt of permanent residency status in the event of emergency or family illness. I do not have any specific plans to travel at this time.

Thanking you,

When your packet is ready to shoot, then you would have to find the correct address on which you need to send the packet. It varies according to the location you are living at. Go to the website mentioned below to find out the USCIS office, that deals your area.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

If you ever have to move to the new address, after filling of the AOS application, you need to inform USCIS by submitting AR-11 Form. You can do that online on this website

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

US citizen doesn't have to fill out AR-11 form but the other one USCIS has on its website.

I hope that would help you out to start your application process.

Wish ya best of luck and pray for others who are in the same boat.

Thanks.

AOS Transferred to CSC.......................August 4th 2009

AP/EAD Approval Notice appeared....August 21st 2009

AP/EAD received in mails.................... 08/27/09, 08/31/09

AOS at CSC.............................................Pending

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.