tyriun_j

Important topic

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
We want to be as honest as possible but we also want to be able to get her through the border.

Be careful when you play with fire. Your entire idea is fraught with potentially bad consequences.

I'd suggest you settle the hormones down and go through the process like everyone else.

What is the "bad" consequence? She gets turned around at the border - that's all. It's HIGHLY unlikely there'd be an further repercussions beyond that. Her K1 would not be in jeopardy.

Some immigrants have an easier time visiting than others. Your comment about the "hormones" sounds like jealousy.

We want to be as honest as possible but we also want to be able to get her through the border.

Be careful when you play with fire. Your entire idea is fraught with potentially bad consequences.

I'd suggest you settle the hormones down and go through the process like everyone else.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Bad consequences are exactly what my fiance and I endured when he tried to visit me for 6 months during our k-1 process. He did not have proof of strong ties (mortgage, job (they'd want at least a letter stating your expected return date signed by boss or HR and pay stubs for proof), current utility bills). You've only listed things that will be a red flag to them. So the consequences for us were NO VISITS until he had the k1. In order to see each other for that entire year (yes it took a full year from file date to k-1)I had to visit him. The officer even told us he could ban him for 3 years right then and there if he wanted to. Ridiculous I know, but they do have that authority.

If she's going to visit you, it's going to likely have to be for shorter increments and she's going to have to show strong ties to Canada plain and simple. The request for a 6 month visit is what sparked off the whole interrogation for us. Yes, Canadians can VISIT for 6 months, but being your fiance is a red flag to them and that goes out the window.

I understand that others have had no issues visiting (haven't heard of anyone going for 6 months tho) during the process, but your/her situation sound too much like ours and I'd hate to see anybody else go through what we did.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I thought this exact same topic was posted before - Nik + Heather found the old topic!

Did you think asking the second time around will yield you different answers? People already gave you good advice - up to you now.

I don't know why but I suspected as much and sorry but you won't get much sympathy. To my mind Americans with Canadian fiancees have it so easy! Cheap to travel, easy to go back and forth. Most of us have to deal with fiancees that have ZERO chance to ever visit before the K-1 is approved and have to spend well into four figures just for a plane ticket, PLUS minimum 24 hours travel time each way adding 2 days to any visit PLUS time differences. Yikes. For me any (inhabited) place in Canada is a trip equal to how long you wait for snacks to be served going to Kiev and I can buy 3 tickets to Vancouver for one to Kiev and can drive to Montreal in an hour! In the normal course of a day I do not even consider Canada a foreign country as it is so close and there are as many Canadians on this side of the border as the other it seems, it is closer to me than the next STATE.

You will have a much easier time dealing with this than most of us and you are both dumb@sses if you take even a small chance to screw up the rest of your life because you just cant wait to see each other. You want te see each other...GO. Visit. If she needs to get her stuff here...ship it. My wife was sending boxes months before she arrived and I was taking back a suitcase for her every time I went. May as well get something for $1000+ ticket!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I dont have first or even second hand knowledge on this matter but i can give you a suggestion, why dont your just have your fiancee buy a round trip ticket to the states, for lets say three weeks/ one month.. then when she returns you go up to Canada for a few weeks and do this a few time, yes it will be more money but at least you will make the time go by a little quicker, plus if they the boarder people see that she returned on time the first time around they will most likely let her in again, dont lie to the boarder people if they ask if you have fiancee though because like people said it might bring you problems if they find out... If you dont like that idea then just try and have here come for six months how you plan, the worst that could happen is that she gets rejected...

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Costa Rica

I-129F Sent : 2009-02-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-02-27

Touched: 2009-03-05

NOA2(s) : 2009/07/30

NVC Received: 2009/08/03

Departed NVC 2009/08/05

Consulate Received 2009/08/07

Interview Date 2009/10/08 Visa granted...:)

I have a difficult situation,

Okay so my fiance and I are doing the fiance visa process. Instead of waiting for it to go through, she is coming down to be with me for 6 months while its in the processing stage. She is coming down with her father in his transport truck, and will not have a return ticket home, however she will have the money for one in her bank account. Our original plan was to tell border patrol that we are engaged and are working on the visa, so we are doing it the valid way. When ( and IF ) it gets to NOA2 status while shes down here she is just going to fly home and finish the process there. However my mother has spoken to two immigration lawyers and they have said to tell border patrol that she is just coming down to visit friends. The problem is if they search the truck, they will find a lot of her possessions and she will most likely immediately get turned away. But the immigration lawyers are saying that if she says she is my fiance, they will red flag her and turn her away anyway. We wanted to get some opinions as of what to go with. She will be bringing down a copy of the I-129F packet as well as proof that she can pay for her own way down here as far as meals go. We want to be as honest as possible but we also want to be able to get her through the border.

Also, we know she is able to be in the US for up to 180 days, but we are wondering if it renews in the new year, Jan 2010? So if she comes down in June, can she stay until mid-November, go back home for a few weeks, come down for Christmas and stay in the country, and be able to stay until June? Or is it that you cannot come back until 6 months after you leave? Like is it a rolling year where when she comes down in June she couldnt come back until June 2010? We are curious as to how this part of the system works.

Please advice kindly :)

Thank you

We tried a similar thing (my fiance entered by land without a return ticket - the logic being she entered by land, why does she need an airline ticket) and she had some personal possessions. She was honestly planning on leaving and just wanted to wait with me in the US during the process. She was going to leave a lot of personal items at my house.

PM me for the long story, but the short story is she did not get in. She was turned around and this has complicated the whole process. I would not recommend it. You have even more person items than my fiance tried to enter with and you will not likely make it.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Just be careful and think about the pros & cons. Every situation is different. I also have a good friend that works at the Detroit/Windsor border and he said (in his words) "there are many different ways we can tell how long a person has stayed in the U.S." Including passport, vehicle tags, and other identification. They're slick these days! It scared me a bit, so I asked him just to check out my options before my process was finished. I realized it was NOT worth it to jeopardize our paperwork, so lots of visits back & forth is what we did. Flights are so cheap! I know it's hard to be apart, but definitely just know that it can be a questionable topic, and every one on here will all have different opinions and stories.

Good luck :thumbs:

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Inappropriate posts removed. Personal attacks are against TOS and add nothing to the discussion.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

all i can say is that my fiance' and i know people that were turned away at the border because the word "fiance" was mentioned. in our case, our attorney advised us that there is no guarantee that the person will be turned away, but it is a risk... and it wasn't a risk we were willing to take... really, it depends on the border control person you luck out with & the mood they're in for the day... because come interview time if my fiance is asked, "have you ever been turned away?" the answer would not look good. i believe there's 2 branches of government you really don't want to mess with... the IRS & Immigration... i figured better to be safe than sorry, but then again, i'm not a natural risk-taker anyway.

...i do wish you the best in your journey! :)

Filed: Other Timeline

I believe the OP stated they have no intention of doing anything dishonest. They wondered if their plan would 'work'. They seem to be uncomfortable with the advice given to them by an attorney to 'misrepresent' themselves at the border. They indicate they are filing for a visa.

Seems like honest questions to me.

I believe the responses of many (especially Canadians who are familiar with crossing that border) in this thread are the most 'productive' for the OP. They spell out the 'problems' with the plan and what could go wrong.

Here's the reality - if this girl gets turned back at the border, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to affect her future K1. She would have to lie at the border for that to happen. We are told she does not wish to misrepresent herself.

I'm wondering what the problem is with some of the other comments. Why are some members apparently 'lecturing' the OP? Because they are 'jealous' of the geographical proximity of the couple? Because other persons in the thread didn't or don't have the same option?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get jumping on this couple. I don't know anyone of us who wouldn't take advantage of whatever opportunities we have to ease this process. Just because some couples have opportunities that others do not is no reason to behave bitterly towards them.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
I believe the OP stated they have no intention of doing anything dishonest. They wondered if their plan would 'work'. They seem to be uncomfortable with the advice given to them by an attorney to 'misrepresent' themselves at the border. They indicate they are filing for a visa.

Seems like honest questions to me.

I believe the responses of many (especially Canadians who are familiar with crossing that border) in this thread are the most 'productive' for the OP. They spell out the 'problems' with the plan and what could go wrong.

Here's the reality - if this girl gets turned back at the border, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to affect her future K1. She would have to lie at the border for that to happen. We are told she does not wish to misrepresent herself.

I'm wondering what the problem is with some of the other comments. Why are some members apparently 'lecturing' the OP? Because they are 'jealous' of the geographical proximity of the couple? Because other persons in the thread didn't or don't have the same option?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get jumping on this couple. I don't know anyone of us who wouldn't take advantage of whatever opportunities we have to ease this process. Just because some couples have opportunities that others do not is no reason to behave bitterly towards them.

Thank you Rebeccajo, I thought that I was alone here defending this couple !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to agree with Rebeccajo - being turned back at the border for not being able to prove sufficient ties to Canada will have absolutely no effect on the K-1 visa - as long as she is honest about being turned back when asked. Lying at the border or lying about what happened at the border does have serious repercussions.

I crossed a number of times while waiting for my K-1 and each and every time I mentioned I was visiting my fiance. I had proof of my ties to Canada as well as a copy of our petition and our paperwork for the K-1. While I was pulled into secondary twice, once they saw the K-1 paperwork, they closed up the file and said I was good to go, so carrying the paperwork to show your intention of following the immigration process is a good idea. Saying you are visiting your boyfriend when you are visiting your fiance and carrying the paperwork to show you have applied for a fiance visa could leave you open to misrepresentation or trying to 'hide' the truth. You definitely don't want to go there.

The one other concern I have with the OPs plan is that she intends to ride down with her father in his transport truck. If she is stopped at the border, is her Dad prepared to have the transport truck searched or have to either delay his own trip or leave his daughter behind at the border if she is denied entry? These are all issues that the OP really needs to consider. While it might be convenient for her to enter this way if all goes well, if all does not go well it could be a real problem. A return trip ticket might be a better choice.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hi there,

My fiancee and I just went through the same anxiety. She is from Ottawa, and I live in NJ. We sent in the I-129F last month. She just finished university in Ottawa and decided to come visit me for a while. She doesn't own real estate in Canada, she lives with her mother. She really doesn't have any of the strong "ties" that they allegedly look for at the border.

I was very nervous when it was time to try to cross (she was with me in my rental car). I read a lot of posts on this board and I made sure that my fiancee only packed things that she would take if she were coming on any trip to visit me - clothes, toiletries, anything she'd need if she were staying for a few months. But not bring things she wouldn't need for a 6 month trip - i.e. her birth certificate, all of her jewelry, lots of paperwork that she wouldn't otherwise need, etc.

When we got to the border, we told them right away that we are engaged and she was coming to visit. We explained that she was just coming for a short visit and was going back to Canada in a few months. We got more questions. Then I whipped out the magic word.. K-1. As soon as we said that we were in the midst of the K-1 process and I had the NOA1 with me, they let us through. No search, no nothing. The border officer actually said "OK, I just had to make sure you are doing it the RIGHT way."

I would advise you to do like we did. If she can leave her things in Canada for a while, do it. Don't risk it. If she has no place to leave her things, it's worth it for her to get a storage bin until you get the visa. Again, I can't say it enough, don't risk it - it can be a ####### shoot when you get to the border, minimize your risk, play by the rules, and odds are you will be together just like you want.

All the best.

04-23-2008: Met on vacation in Egypt (yes, a Canadian and an American met in Egypt!)

03-21-2009: Engaged :) :) :)

K1 Petition (Apr 14 09 thru Dec 30, 09 - PROCESS COMPLETE)

04-14-2009: I-129F Sent to VSC

04-20-2009: NOA1

08-21-2009: NOA2!!!

09-01-2009: NVC received petition

09-04-2009: Montreal received petition

09-23-2009: Packet 3 arrived in mail

09-28-2009: Packet 3 returned via overnight mail

09-29-2009: Packet 3 received at Montreal

10-22-2009: Packet 4 received

11-09-2009: Medical exam at Medisys in Montreal

11-13-2009: Interview - Approved!!!!!

11-17-2009: 3pm - Pick up visa at consulate

11-17-2009: 5pm - Entry at Champlain POE via auto

12-30-2009: Wedding!

AOS (Jan 14 09 thru TBD)

01-14-2010: I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox (with EAD and AP filings)

01-25-2010: NOA

02-10-2010: Case transferred to CSC!

02-15-2010: Biometrics in Elizabeth, NJ

03-12-2010: RFE - argh!

03-18-2010: E-mail saying EAD and AP approved!

03-19-2010: RFE received - Medical Exam has been lost - new one needed

03-20-2010: Contacted Congressman

04-19-2010: Give up the fight, Congressman can't help, got a new physical done

04-22-2010: Surprise, surprise! Passes physical. RFE returned via overnight mail.

04-29-2010: Approval e-mail!

05-07-2010: Permanent Resident Card received! DONE! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good Moring

AT first, i wanna know why she wants to come and settled down with you in US while your fiance visa is in process. I am wondering why she can't stay in CAnada and wait for the paperwork to arrived so that she could go to US without any trouble. False statements to Border Immi office would put her on lifetime banned and I am sure you dont wanna see that (God forbid). From the time I-129 approves it takes more or less 3.5months to get the visa. She is canadian so it would be more faster than anyone's case. My best Advice

She can come to Visit but shouldn't have intention to overstayed. Wait for some more time (3 months) to actually get the Fiance Visa.

You dont' need to risk your case for the sake of living together asap. You have waited long so why not some more times. You better off having advices from your so called Immi officers who may be charging you but digging youself into the deep ######. I dun know about CAnada, but in US, once u red flagged you won't be a normal person for a long time in the eyes of USCIS.

DONT TAKE RISK. BE PREPARED FOR THE FIANCE VISA INTERVIEW. HER TIME IS NEAR TO HAVE THE FIANCE VISA.

I have a difficult situation,

Okay so my fiance and I are doing the fiance visa process. Instead of waiting for it to go through, she is coming down to be with me for 6 months while its in the processing stage. She is coming down with her father in his transport truck, and will not have a return ticket home, however she will have the money for one in her bank account. Our original plan was to tell border patrol that we are engaged and are working on the visa, so we are doing it the valid way. When ( and IF ) it gets to NOA2 status while shes down here she is just going to fly home and finish the process there. However my mother has spoken to two immigration lawyers and they have said to tell border patrol that she is just coming down to visit friends. The problem is if they search the truck, they will find a lot of her possessions and she will most likely immediately get turned away. But the immigration lawyers are saying that if she says she is my fiance, they will red flag her and turn her away anyway. We wanted to get some opinions as of what to go with. She will be bringing down a copy of the I-129F packet as well as proof that she can pay for her own way down here as far as meals go. We want to be as honest as possible but we also want to be able to get her through the border.

Also, we know she is able to be in the US for up to 180 days, but we are wondering if it renews in the new year, Jan 2010? So if she comes down in June, can she stay until mid-November, go back home for a few weeks, come down for Christmas and stay in the country, and be able to stay until June? Or is it that you cannot come back until 6 months after you leave? Like is it a rolling year where when she comes down in June she couldnt come back until June 2010? We are curious as to how this part of the system works.

Please advice kindly :)

Thank you

AOS Transferred to CSC.......................August 4th 2009

AP/EAD Approval Notice appeared....August 21st 2009

AP/EAD received in mails.................... 08/27/09, 08/31/09

AOS at CSC.............................................Pending

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i am not a canadian but i rather do the slowly but surely.

good luck on ur plan!

I-129F Sent :05-06-09

NOA1 (Receipt) : 05-15-09

NOA2 (Approved) : 08- 24-09

Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4): 09-11-09

Interview Date (K1 Visa): 10-26-09

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Received : 10-30-09

Date of US Entry : 11-11-09 ; POE: Minneapolis

SSN: 11-25-09

Date of Wedding : 11-28-09

AOS

Filing date :

NOA date for I-485 :

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date:

I-485 Interview Date:

I-485 Approval / Denial Date :

I-485 Approved:

I 551 Stamp in passport:

Green Card received Date :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.