KingCan

Is USA still the promised land?

157 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
They would run out of all their net worth in 2 weeks or run out of liquid assets?

What this study may prove is that most Americans need to be re-educated about financial planning and living within their means.

More than that, they need to know the simple fact that just because you have a job today, that doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow. If there is no money, there is no money, no matter how good or important you think you are.

I got laid off back in April. When I first got laid off, I immediately applied for all kinds of work, part-time and full-time. The difference in response is interesting. Every single part-time job I applied to called me back immediately. I interviewed for several part-time positions days after I got laid off and was offered a few jobs within 2-3 weeks. I accepted one because the hours were good to keep looking for full-time work. Meanwhile, I have not gotten a single call back for a full-time, permanent position despite the fact that what I applied for in a part-time capacity is exactly the same thing I want to do full-time. Go figure. Cheap azzes.

I know a lot of people who have been laid off or are on the immediate chopping block. My brother just graduated this May and it has been an absolute disaster for him and his class. He's trying to get in as a Naval officer now because that was the only position he got called back for in the about 5 months he has been looking seriously all over the country. A lot of his friends have found about zero interest like him, and some have been looking as far back as last August. Check your local Wal-Mart for new engineering grads. I work in higher ed academic advising as my part-time job, so I see these people every single day and it is really depressing in some ways.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Agree with Wacken. The answer is NO. World economy is turning out.

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

Filed: Other Timeline

America is a land of instilled consumption. Starting in the 1950s, people were (by an Austrian, nonetheless) psychologically re-poled to buy what they want, desire, instead of what they need. They want it now, and they buy it on credit, and worry about paying it off later, or not at all.

I'm 51 now, but my parents' generation was different. They saved for things they needed, and only things they needed. They never bought a new car, but they accumulated some wealth despite having a "middle class" income. If I see a young chap driving a Cadillac Escalade with spinner wheels, I know he's poor, and an idiot on top of that.

The greatest gift my parents gave me is financial sense, the urge to save for a rainy day from early on. I have some cushion in my bank account, 10 months of expenses in my money market account, and only the amount above that is invested in the stock market and in real estate. I always spend 15% less than I make, at least, and even when I did paper routes I saved 15%.

Americans need to rethink their style of living, and they need to be reeducated. America is only the land of milk and honey for those who have something; it's not a good place to live if you are poor.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 4 weeks later...
Guys plz guide new commers who are coming to usa abt job conditions there at the moment?

Thanx

I'd like some input to this question too. When I look online and browse through available jobs right now, it doesn't seem too bad (seattle area) although I am well aware what I see online may differ from how the market actually is. I'd love for someone to shed some light on this. I'm a kindergarten teacher and will be moving to the US sometime early 2010 if everything works out. I'm not shy to apply for other jobs than teaching though, at least so I can hold some sort income until the right kind of job offer shows up. In Norway it's relatively easy to get a job from my profession here, I hope it won't be too hard to get one in the US.

Thanks

07.15.09 - Received NOA1

10.02.09 - Received NOA2 - So exciting!!

10.07.09 - Medical approved!

10.16.09 - Case left NVC

10.19.09 - Case delivered at consulate

10.21.09 - Package 3 received!

11.04.09 - Package 3 sent

11.25.09 - Interview APPROVED!

12.03.09 - Visa on hand!!

12.28.09 - POE in Seattle

02.13.10 - Our wedding day xD

12.14.12 - Mailed I-751 - Here we go again!

12.17.12 - Package delivered

12.20.12 - Received NOA 1 - dated 12.17.12

fqaVm8.png

Filed: Other Timeline
Guys plz guide new commers who are coming to usa abt job conditions there at the moment?

Thanx

I'd like some input to this question too. When I look online and browse through available jobs right now, it doesn't seem too bad (seattle area) although I am well aware what I see online may differ from how the market actually is. I'd love for someone to shed some light on this. I'm a kindergarten teacher and will be moving to the US sometime early 2010 if everything works out. I'm not shy to apply for other jobs than teaching though, at least so I can hold some sort income until the right kind of job offer shows up. In Norway it's relatively easy to get a job from my profession here, I hope it won't be too hard to get one in the US.

Thanks

There will be more jobs in some areas than others, obviously.

Statistically nationwide, I believe the average is there are 6 applicants for every job presently available.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I do feel like this country has come full circle. At the turn of 20th century wealth was hordered by that top tier through to the 20's. Labor had no rights, heck children worked in dangerous conditions etc. Then the depression came and the second world war, the rights of labor grew and wealth was more even. This continued through the 1970's and then the 80's and 90's occurred and wealth parity slipped and labor rights fell. So here we are 80 years later and we're in the same place.

The question is where to we go from here? It may not seem quite the same after all children do not work and technology has made all of our lives easier - still gaps are the same.

Edited by Sousuke

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.