dmaddox74

Social Security Info

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

That is a first rate offer on your part . . . . THANK YOU!! good.gif

My wife will be interviewed (soon I hope). We seek the CR1 visa.

I would like to get her last name changed and get her a SS#.

Should I wait for her arivial in USA?

Should I do the name change first?

When is the soonest a SS# can be had? (does she need the visa or is approved I-130 enough)

:DI used to be a part of Candle For Love and I've been apart of Visa Journey for a while but I rarely gave back, (okay, I never did) so I'm just glad that I can finally help.)

I was always told and I personally agree that the best time to change the name is when you apply for citizenship. (That's what I did) It's easy and it's right there on the application.

I got my wife's SSN while I was adjusting her status. More specifically after we got her work Permit. This can be acquired while you are waiting for her PERM resident interview.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Duplicated post removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Dave, is it better to update SS first or get passport first? Does it matter? unsure.gif Thanks for your help!!

:blink:Excellent question! I haven't got my passport in over 10 years, I'm assuming they are doing a background check with SSA records as well. If they don't and they only check INS and State Department records then you are fine. However, I would update my record after I get my certificate either at the ceremony (if SSA has a booth) or at my local office, because:

Most people lose their SSA cards and need to get duplicates. Perhaps you'll forget that you never changed your status and when you arrive at the office you'll only have your Driver's license. They'll ask you for your perm res. card and you won't have that either because you turned that in at the ceremony. I have even seen some people lose that certificate. (Good luck getting another one of those)

Secondly, if you ever apply for benefits at SSA you'll need that certificate to prove status.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Dave, is it better to update SS first or get passport first? Does it matter? :unsure: Thanks for your help!!

Both want to see your original USC certificate, practically every county in the USA has an SS office, but the DOS has over 9,000 agents for passports, so depending on where you live, odds are that a DOS agent is closer to you than the nearest SS office.

One major difference is that the SS office does trust their employees to look at your original certificate, and make a copy of it for their records letting you leave their office with your certificate in your hand. The DOS does not trust their certified agents so must take your certificate and mail it in, they do however trust them in making you swore an oath. I do not understand their thinking on this matter.

In any event, our priority was to get that US passport first, the only advantage of getting USC status is some kind of disability benefit, but for us, that is years away and with the current talk, SS may not even be around by then, so what's the rush?

It's also my understanding, your US passport is equal proof of UCS for the SS, when the time came, I did bring in both my wife's certificate and her passport and gave them a choice, they preferred her certificate. With the US passport in my wife's hand, she was again free to travel again, with SS, maybe she will get benefits a zillion years from now, maybe not. SS is a crime for what you have to pay in and what little you get back, they claim they are going broke and you get screwed twice. First, your FICA taxes are not deductible, you have to pay income taxes on that amount, then when and if you do get benefits, they are taxed again. We have some real crooks running this country and they are taking over 15% of your gross income that you may never see again.

Timeline
Dave, is it better to update SS first or get passport first? Does it matter? :unsure: Thanks for your help!!

Both want to see your original USC certificate, practically every county in the USA has an SS office, but the DOS has over 9,000 agents for passports, so depending on where you live, odds are that a DOS agent is closer to you than the nearest SS office.

One major difference is that the SS office does trust their employees to look at your original certificate, and make a copy of it for their records letting you leave their office with your certificate in your hand. The DOS does not trust their certified agents so must take your certificate and mail it in, they do however trust them in making you swore an oath. I do not understand their thinking on this matter.

In any event, our priority was to get that US passport first, the only advantage of getting USC status is some kind of disability benefit, but for us, that is years away and with the current talk, SS may not even be around by then, so what's the rush?

It's also my understanding, your US passport is equal proof of UCS for the SS, when the time came, I did bring in both my wife's certificate and her passport and gave them a choice, they preferred her certificate. With the US passport in my wife's hand, she was again free to travel again, with SS, maybe she will get benefits a zillion years from now, maybe not. SS is a crime for what you have to pay in and what little you get back, they claim they are going broke and you get screwed twice. First, your FICA taxes are not deductible, you have to pay income taxes on that amount, then when and if you do get benefits, they are taxed again. We have some real crooks running this country and they are taking over 15% of your gross income that you may never see again.

:yes:Yes, a passport will serve as a proof of citizenship for SSA purposes. Our office has representatives attend the citizenship ceremony so that the claimants may change their ASAP with SSA. If you don't need to prove your citizenship right away with SSA (not too sure on the work verification process for naturalize citizens wanting a federal job) then just get your passport.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I forgot to add, most of you will be changing your name as well. You may need to change your name on your SSA card.

What didn't change was my wife's SS number, same one since she got her EAD card, though I don't no exactly why, believe that should remain the same. It's a nine digit number, with a 999,999,999 maximum or a tad short of a billion. Since the current population of the USA is over a third of a billion and has been around for over 80 years, would think they would be running out of unique numbers by now. Wonder how they deal with that?

We use to wait under we were 16 years of age before applying when we could legally work, now new born babies are getting an SS number. Also wonder why they claim to keep your SS number confidential, seems like if someone borrowed it, would be paying FICA taxes to your account and making you rich instead of poor. It's my understanding it takes tons of proof to get SS benefits and only you should have that proof.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.