amysaid

Egypt in the summer... What was I thinking?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sooo, my husband is still in Egypt at the moment, and I booked tickets for my daughter (5.5 years) and I to go there for six weeks at the end of July. Now, I'm from Oregon, which is pretty cool most of the year, even during the summer we only have a brief period of high temps, and rarely over 100F. Naturally, I am a bit terrified of going somewhere where the average daily temp during the summer is 100+. Our apartment is small, has direct sun all day, and has little in the way of airflow, and no A/C. I am seriously considering buying a window-mount A/C unit here and bringing it with me as a piece of luggage. In short, not sure how I'm gonna handle the heat.

The other thing I'm concerned with is a place for my daughter to play outside. She's a very active kid, and I can't keep her cooped up all the time. During the daytime it will be too hot to go outside, but during the evening you would think there'd be some place to go. I know Azhar Park, but it's kind of expensive. The neighborhood we live in there is not a place I would let my kid play, even though the kids there of course run around rampant in the streets. We live in Omrania in Giza, if that gives any of you locals any clues as to the area, and I'm looking for somewhere that she can play at that's not too far away.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Amy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes Amy it will be hot there during that time. As far as the window unit goes, if it's a plug in, just remember the current is different in Egypt. If I was you, I would just purchase a couple fans for your apartment.

I'm sorry as I don't know that area of Giza, so I can't help you with where your daughter will play during your stay. Did you ask your husband for some ideas?

Best of luck and have loads of fun!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

6 weeks!! Wow you are lucky! I don't know much to say about Egypt except I 'd like to see it someday.

I would love the heat but I know anything over 100 is smothering.

With all the talk of planned vacations and those of you have just departed :crying:

I need a vacation!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Definitely plan to stay indoors from the late morning until the early evening. Look at bringing along some books on Egyptian history (mummies made in egypt is a great one) and maybe plan reading/activity time when it's too hot to go out. Make mummies and other ancient egyptian objects and then go to the egyptian musuem and see the real thing :)

If you do go out, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I always carried a water bottle and have a sip every 15 or 20 minutes.

For places to run around, well, I know there are parks along the nile river downtown that we would often go to in the evening. We didn't have kids, so I wasn't really looking to see if there were any running around, but I would guess there are. I think that a lot of hotels will let you in to use their pool/green areas for a day fee as well.

Google "kids in cairo" and "kids in Egypt," as there are a lot of pages out there geared towards travel with kids. Here's a few sites I found that way:

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/fagnoon.htm

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/696/tr2.htm

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Egypt that time of the year is hot like the pits of hell! Wear cotton clothing and wait until the evening to go out and about. I would do as Jeanne said and just buy fans there. The AC may be a big let down if you get there and can't find all of the adaptation to make it work there.

Does he have family or friends with children that can help you plan activities for your daughter? When I was in EG we vacationed in Alex and kids were playing in the sea at 2am so children are like the rest of the adults there in the land of no sleep at night and all play.

Best wishes on your trip! I hope it's great!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

It's sounds just like Morocco during the summer..ahhh!!! Well we often went to places that did have AC and hung out there like the malls etc. and some malls may have activities. For example, the Mega mall in Rabat has an ice skating rink and a bowling area as well as a play-gym area for kids..sorry, I don't know anything about Egypt :(

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I"m in Oregon too.... don't bother to bring an a/c unit from here....buy one there. They are 220 and we are 110 and no converter could handle an a/c unit... I have a policy not to be in Egypt from May 15th to Nov 15th,..... I met a lady in the food court at San Stephano Mall in Alex from Sherwood Oregon... they live in Alex from Oct to May and in Sherwood from May to October... sounds pretty good to me... :)

According to my husband and his friend (sitting here yaking it up) you can find a unit there anywhere from 1000 to 7500 LE. They recommend Unionaire... it's cheap if you just plan to use it this trip it would be fine. Carrier is the most reliable and takes less electricity, they run 1800 to 2500 LE for a unit that will cool one room.... HOWEVER these prices are 2 years old... so who knows what inflation has done to the price...

If your husband is coming to Oregon, let me know... I think my husband has become the official welcome committee for newly arrived Egyptian husbands of American wives... maybe he can use this to snag a job as a WalMart greeter! tehehehehehehehe

Enjoy your stay!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

take plenty of ice cream.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I lived in Morocco during the summer when my oldest son was 16-18 months old. My husband is from the south and the temperatures easily exceed 100 F daily. I'm sure she definetely doesn't want to be stuck inside, however I think that adjustinting schedules a little will help. If you can push wake up time to 9-10am, plus breakfast This should put you almost at noon. If it were me I would bring/plan plenty of activities that my son (he's also 5.5 now!) could do inside until about 3pm. Look into homeschool resources. Bring some books etc. Also maybe she can help you do the shopping (nice outing) By 3pm-4pm it should be cooling down and she could go run around outside. Have you looked into schools? Maybe she could enroll for a month and go during the day? I think there are some English speaking schools even in Egypt.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

welcome to egypt and i wish u will have a good time .. actually i am living near omrania - giza .. i am sorry to say that .. but no place for kids in this are as i remember ... i used to take my wife and go to down town ... or for nearest mac or kfc .. there is play area in this places for kids ... in morning nt recomended to go out ... sun is like hell .. and for sure u willnt be able to handle it so ur kid too . in evening after 6 or 7 pm .. u can take metro its near from you and fast to down town or al tahrir so u can walk by nile .. i know itsnt like u.s.a .. parking every where for kids ... its less and hard to find one near to you .. just u will get used it and i am sure u will like it there in egypt . good luck

Timeline

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the mosquitoes than the heat.

Unless you don't mind using mosquito sprays, in which case go ahead and worry about the heat. lol

Sorry, I'm being eaten alive here in Cairo, and while the heat sucks, being covered in mosquito bites isn't all that great either.

Best wishes to you in finding something to keep your kid entertained while here.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

i was told to keep a fabric softener sheet in a pocket and it's suppose to keep them away. I did and seemed to work very good at the time until my daughter and her tribe of friends came near me and brought with them a million mosquitoes and then I was getting attacked :angry:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Timeline

Unfortunately (because why not be difficult? lol), I am very sensitive to scents, and I bought some skin so soft one time and pretty much felt nauseated at the smell. I don't think I could handle rubbing it all over my body. lol

Though the thought did occur to me anyways. :D Thanks though, for the suggestion.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.