Caladan

What do you do about a meeting with no proof?

14 posts in this topic

Question about 'proof of meeting' for the 1-129F:

The boy and I have been together since March of 2004, and between the two of us we probably have about 10 visits, all told. We're probably getting engaged in August and then starting the process in September.

We don't, however, have primary evidence for half of those trips -- an engagement wasn't immediately on our minds, so the primary evidence I have starts in July of 2005 (passport stamps) and March of this year (no entry stamp (don't ask -- Edmonton airport at midnight with 500 other people), but an exit stamp, plus boarding passes receipts.), plus my upcoming visit in August (where we'll document everything, of course).

So, clearly, we have enough primary evidence of meeting, and we have loads of secondary evidence with pictures and things. I can probably even dig up secondary itineraries & credit card bills for those flights. Not worried about that.

But my question is what to do about the meetings where we have no primary or secondary evidence (our first one and a few of his trips here.) or just limited secondary evidence. I don't want to leave out the meetings because they're pretty important to give the sense of the nature of our relationship. But will it be confusing to mention that say, I flew there in 2004 but as I a) entered with my birth certificate and driver's license and B) didn't save my boarding pass and c) we took pictures of the scenery in Banff and Jasper, not of us together, I am including neither primary nor secondary evidence for this trip?

Did anyone else have a similar situation?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the trips where you only have secondary evidence. You only need to prove that you have met within the last two years to satisfy the requirements of the petition. It sounds like the trips you have 'primary' evidence of will fulfill that requirement nicely.

Save the information about the trips with only the 'secondary' information for the interview in the event that you are asked for documents to prove the ongoing nature of the relationship. Sending it with the petition will only make them slog through more (useless) paperwork.

IMHO. :)

SA4userbar.jpg

Not a big deal.. you just have to provide proof of having met within the last 2 years.... sounds like you have that. Evidence of the relationship comes during the interview, so you have plenty of time to gather additional evidence. Provide what you have.... 'voice over' the rest with a breif explanation in your cover letter, and you'll be fine for your I-129F.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

The boy and I have been together since March of 2004, and between the two of us we probably have about 10 visits, all told. We're probably getting engaged in August and then starting the process in September.

We don't, however, have primary evidence for half of those trips -- an engagement wasn't immediately on our minds, so the primary evidence I have starts in July of 2005 (passport stamps) and March of this year (no entry stamp (don't ask -- Edmonton airport at midnight with 500 other people), but an exit stamp, plus boarding passes receipts.), plus my upcoming visit in August (where we'll document everything, of course).

So, clearly, we have enough primary evidence of meeting, and we have loads of secondary evidence with pictures and things. I can probably even dig up secondary itineraries & credit card bills for those flights. Not worried about that.

But my question is what to do about the meetings where we have no primary or secondary evidence (our first one and a few of his trips here.) or just limited secondary evidence. I don't want to leave out the meetings because they're pretty important to give the sense of the nature of our relationship. But will it be confusing to mention that say, I flew there in 2004 but as I a) entered with my birth certificate and driver's license and B) didn't save my boarding pass and c) we took pictures of the scenery in Banff and Jasper, not of us together, I am including neither primary nor secondary evidence for this trip?

So long as you can prove you met within the last 2 years, you should be fine for the initial petition. When responding to number 18 of the I-129F, you can even write something like "During these initial visits, neither of us believed we would some day wish to marry, and so we did not hold onto evidence of these trips" or something. It's not a HUGE deal since you DO have evidence of having made some trips to meet. Don't worry and good luck! :thumbs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I had a similar problem. Who would have thought that I'd ever need my plane tickets in 1998? Eventhough I explained that we met in 1998, I just included evidence that we have at least seen in each in the past 2 years, eventhough it wasn't the first time we met. I really have no way of prooving that we met in 1998, but I can prove that we've at least seen each other in the past 2 years.

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

You only have to prove you met once in the past two years. Lots of evidence of 10 visits would be over the top IMHO. Provide concrete evidence (such as passport stamps, boarding passes, etc) for a couple of these visits and you should be fine. James and I provided boarding passes and passport stamps (along with pictures, but there is a debate over the necessity of these) for two or three of our visits and we were approved no problem. We didn't ignore the other visits we didn't have evidence for, they were mentioned (just said dates he had been over) in our "how have you met in the past two years" question on an additional sheet of paper.

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Thanks. I just wasn't certain if they should be mentioned or skipped over.

We're very lucky for the consulate interview in that the boy made me a memories album about six months ago when I was complaining how we never had 'real' dates, and as it turned out, he'd saved every pair of movie tickets, museum passes, etc and compiled it in a book with pictures from our vacations. But that's certainly a long way off.

AOS

-

Filed: Timeline

Caladan,

Mention the meetings for which you have no evidence if you wish, and submit the evidence you have for the other meetings.

Yodrak

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you have photos of you together, that's excellent proof.

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It needs to be mentioned that photos are considered secondary evidence. By themselves they really carry no wieght. But if you can tie them to something else they are usually good.

I have not put much thought into what sorts of evidence you would supply if your fiance is Canadien. I imagine that is hard since in general you can just cross the border without any fanfare (no visa, boarding passes, etc.). Its a challange I suppose. If you haven't filed the I-129f yet maybe make a visit and be sure to get lots of reciepts and other evidence.

You might want to check the Canada forums on here as well. Good luck to you.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Near the end of my year in Brazil, my fiance and I went to Rio for his work for one weekend, and I brought all my evidence to get together for the K1 (since I didn't have any obligations that week). I spread it out on the floor and went to the grocery store. When I got back the maid had thrown it all away.

But I still managed to scrounge up a few things. I think that's all that matters. Don't worry til you get an RFE. If I'm not worried no reason for anyone else to be. :)

You only have to prove you have met at least once in person during the past 2 years....trust me you will have to do enough hunting upevidence on this road, don't give yourself more work than you need to :thumbs:

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

AOS

-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.