itslife

AOS approved - if divorced can I marry and stay ?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I came on K1 visa and got married in Nov. 07, got AOS in June 08.

Things are not going good among us and we are on the verge of divorce. My wife (sponsor) wants a divorce for her personal reasons.

What are my options ? I can still be here till about June 2010 ? If we get a divorce sometime this year, am I eligible to remarry somebody else ?

In that case, would I have to apply for spousal visa ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi itslife,

I am not an expert on this so hopefully one of the more experienced members can help you out.

If you have a 2 year conditional Greencard, I believe you can Apply to remove conditions by yourself (as long as the marriage was entered on good faith) I doubt you need to file a K3 if you remarry a US Citizen, you are a US Resident now.

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I would believe things like comingling of money/assets, bills on both names most of the stuff you need for AOS . If his wife said he had abused her or something else similiar to that there may be trouble. I would always recommending sitting down and trying to sort things out and remember why you both fell in love but sometimes people just cant get along in a marriage.

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Things are not going good among us and we are on the verge of divorce. My wife (sponsor) wants a divorce for her personal reasons.

What are my options ? I can still be here till about June 2010 ? If we get a divorce sometime this year, am I eligible to remarry somebody else ?

You can file with a request that the joint filing requirement for I-751 Removal of Conditions will be waived.

Check the instructions on the form http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751instr.pdf

and also this info on VJ http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...s-immigration-d

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Already talking about re-marrying someone else?! Oye... you'll have to prove to the officer that you entered your first marriage in good faith. If you sucessfully lift your

conditions to a permanent status, you can divorce and remarry yes. If you divorce, remarry before your lifting conditions, I am not sure what recourse you have other than filing

for a K-3... I am no expert. That's a sticky situation with many outcomes. Good luck to you.

Timeline: I am the USC - my husband is the beneficiary

11-02-05:..........Met online - We are both musicians: him music composer and me vocalist ( visit me at: www.myspace.com/etherealsopranoamethyste )

11-26-08:..........My love comes to see me for a holiday visit.

01-24-09:..........Impromptu Wedding in our little apartment!!! I LOVE you!!!

02-03-09:..........Went to the Civil Surgeon - Enveloppe in hand! Life is good!

02-09-09:..........Mailed ( certified ) the AOS package ( I-485, I-130, I-864, I-765, I-131, G-325A + all supporting evidence and more! )

02-11-09:..........Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox

02-20-09:..........Money Orders Cashed!

02-23-09:..........We received today our 4 NOAs ( I-485, I-130, I-765 and I-131 ) - NOAs dated 2-18-09

02-24-09:..........Biometrics apt. Letter: 03-08-09 8AM.

03-09-09:..........Biometrics done - in and out in 10 mins.

03-20-09:..........Received today INTERVIEW LETTER FOR: 04-21-09!!!! ( TOTAL DAYS FROM FILING TO INTERVIEW: 68 DAYS!!! )

04-10-09:..........Received AP in mail!

04-13-09:..........Received EAD in mail! ~~~ WE ARE SO GRATEFUL AND HAPPY!!! ~~~

04-21-09:..........AOS interview in Manchester NH - I-130 approved - I-485 No decision made - Were told to wait for decision letter

04-27-09:.......... ******* WELCOME TO AMERICA LETTER RCD! ******* ~~ adjustment from VWP without a problem! ~~

05-01-09:..........GREENCARD IN HAND!!! WOOO!!!

TOTAL TIME FROM AOS REACHING LOCKBOX TO GREENCARD IN HAND: 79 DAYS!!!!

To remove conditions yourself - you would have to get a divorce first.

Then you would have to self-petition yourself.

You would have to prove the marriage was entered in good faith OR prove that termination of your status would result in extreme hardship OR you have been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by your USC/LPR.

If they grant you a 10yr card, you are free to do what you wish, in the constraints of the LPR program.

And if a new marriage is what you want, you can. However, again, you would be an LPR, and would have to follow the rules of bringing someone else over (which is what you are inferring to with the spousal visa?)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Timeline
you divorce, remarry before your lifting conditions, I am not sure what recourse you have other than filing

for a K-3... I am no expert. That's a sticky situation with many outcomes. Good luck to you.

No K-3 necessary. If a permanent resident divorces prior to removing the conditions, the alien would simply file a waiver. Whether he or she is remarried is really of no consequence because successful removal of conditions will depend upon the alien's ability to demonstrate that the former marriage was bonafide. Of course if the alien fails in demonstrating that, any atempt to gain permanent residence through a subsequent marriage would be suspect.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.