MapleLeafBaby

VISA: CHECK!!! :) NEXT STEPS....CANADIANS PLS SHARE/HELP :)

225 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
^ Really?? OOps my bad :( I mean I DID dress nice, so I guess I get it!

I am bumping this thread :) But I also have a question. On the AP document, how specific should you be about the dates/reasons for travel? Is a generic, "Visiting family" too simple?? Does anyone get denied for these??

Nope, that's just fine! I put a few dates in there, like "2 weeks in March to visit family" but you don't have to be specific.

Did you just guess? Honestly, how many people know exactly when they will be able to come back home? I was just going to make up some dates I wanted to visit and roll with it.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
^ Really?? OOps my bad :( I mean I DID dress nice, so I guess I get it!

I am bumping this thread :) But I also have a question. On the AP document, how specific should you be about the dates/reasons for travel? Is a generic, "Visiting family" too simple?? Does anyone get denied for these??

Nope, that's just fine! I put a few dates in there, like "2 weeks in March to visit family" but you don't have to be specific.

Did you just guess? Honestly, how many people know exactly when they will be able to come back home? I was just going to make up some dates I wanted to visit and roll with it.

I totally made them up, it doesn't matter! You don't even have to put dates, but you can always pick a few dates 2-3 months after you send in your AOS package. It won't affect getting AP, what dates you put or if you put any. It's not as if USCIS is going to be checking on you to make sure you travelled during the dates you put :P

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Timeline

Just bumping this thread a bit :)

I applied for SSN yesterday. Easy peasy japanesy! I just gave them my 1-94 and my passport, and when i got married they gave me a SSN application so I had it already filled out. It took less than 5 mins and in 5-10 days I will have it. Woohoo! CHECK! I love checking things off this USCIS list.

FYI - Not sure how much truth there is to this, or where I even read it! But, I have heard it is best to wait a bit after your arrival to apply for SSN. You have to wait till u get "in the system". If not, they have to fill out a form to manually look for you and it could end adding extra weeks to the process. I purposely waited 2 weeks to do everything and that seems sufficient.

This week, I will send AoS :D

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Filed: Timeline

Quick q:

On G325A, on the top right it asks for our File number, is that the "A" number on our visa/NOA2?

Then, on the bottom beside the blocks for our name, it asks for Alien Registration number? Is that the same thing? I am pretty sure it is, but then logic comes in and wonders why they would call the same number a different name on the same form!??

Nevermind, I looked at the sample, and it looks like it is the same number :P

Edited by FormelyCA

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay... need verification here - help!

I'm in London with my fiance, right now. This is the last time I'll be here until the day he moves to the US and I come over here to help him move. We're trying to get everything sorted accordingly and need some assistance/clarification.

1- If he & I are in his car, my mom is in my car, and my dad is in my dad's car, and all three vehicles are driving my fiance's stuff over the border... my fiance' and I will be in the "lead" car with the other two behind us.

THEN...

A- Both of my parents need a letter from my fiance' stating that the belongings in the vehicle are his personal items and then we all go to secondary for processing.

OR

B- My parents just verbally tell the CBP guy that the stuff is my fiance's (after we tell the guy the stuff my fiance's after talkin to the CBP guy first) and then we all go to secondary for processing.

Which of those two choices do we need?

Also, I know he needs an inventory list (basic list of # of boxes with clothes, # of boxes with books, etc.). In addition, he'll have his "DO NOT OPEN" package. :)

Thanks for your help on this!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

I'm in London with my fiance, right now. This is the last time I'll be here until the day he moves to the US and I come over here to help him move. We're trying to get everything sorted accordingly and need some assistance/clarification.

1- If he & I are in his car, my mom is in my car, and my dad is in my dad's car, and all three vehicles are driving my fiance's stuff over the border... my fiance' and I will be in the "lead" car with the other two behind us.

THEN...

A- Both of my parents need a letter from my fiance' stating that the belongings in the vehicle are his personal items and then we all go to secondary for processing.

OR

B- My parents just verbally tell the CBP guy that the stuff is my fiance's (after we tell the guy the stuff my fiance's after talkin to the CBP guy first) and then we all go to secondary for processing.

Also, I know he needs an inventory list (basic list of # of boxes with clothes, # of boxes with books, etc.). In addition, he'll have his "DO NOT OPEN" package. :)

I'd say "B" July, because your fiancee is accompanying his goods and can vouch they are his. If they were going on their own, I'd suppose they'd need a letter & copy of his K-1, but in this case you will be in the lead car. Explain to the officer the 2 cars directly behind you are family that are helping him move down, and the goods in the cars are his. No need for a letter, because he's there so they can ask him directly.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Personally, I would have a list of contents prepared for each vehicle and a statement that they are owned by your fiance who is now moving to the US on a K-1 visa. All three vehicles will go into secondary - and yes, your fiance need to be in the lead vehicle. When you arrive at the border he will say he is activating his K-1 and that you have family members in the two vehicles behind you who are helping you move your fiance's belongings to the US. The guard will direct you to Secondary and then when the other two vehicles arrive at the border and explain they are with you - direct them as well over to Secondary. You should have a total list of all contents being imported in the three vehicles, but just in case they want to see any thing you need to know in which vehicle it is located. You don't need a precise list but a relatively generic one will do, ie. box of books, box of winter clothing; box of personal care items, ie; box of music CDs, etc. For example, if they want to check the music CDs you need to know that they are in vehicle # 3 driven by your Dad. They probably won't bother to check belongings, but just in case they do, you need to be prepared. (In fact, I am convinced that the more prepared you are the less likely you will need any of the paperwork, hehehehe.). Your parents may end up waiting in their vehicles - I guess it depends on what instructions are given by the secondary inspection people - or they may be allowed inside with the two of you.

Good luck, and happy and uneventful moving.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

THEN...

OR

I'd say "B" July, because your fiancee is accompanying his goods and can vouch they are his. If they were going on their own, I'd suppose they'd need a letter & copy of his K-1, but in this case you will be in the lead car. Explain to the officer the 2 cars directly behind you are family that are helping him move down, and the goods in the cars are his. No need for a letter, because he's there so they can ask him directly.

Thanks, Jill!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

So it would appear that I will be cutting it close to filing at the 90 day, for AOS/AP/EAD

Quick question,

I will need

marriage cert

photos

fee

imm med record

and for proof of income, what do we need? At the interview Montreal Embassy, they accepted a copy of his 2008 filing, but that was just a copy of what my fiance filed and not the actual IRS transcript.

Will he need the official transcript for 2008?, he does not have any other forms of proof except for tax returns (self employed) so W2's etc are not an option. Do you know what they look for?

Aside from items I listed above, anything else they need?

And dumb question, how does SSN work, what Dept takes care of that? How do I find a local office close to me? Do I have to apply in the State where I live? cause I live on the boarder of PA/DE.

Also, can I register at Post Office without SSN?

Thanks,

Edited by poprocks

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

To find the closest SSN office to you, go to this website and put in your zip code:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp

I would just go to the closest office!

Yes you can register at the PO without SSN. Also the forms for AOS ask for SSN, just put N/A.

If no W2's, IRS transcripts are required. The past year is sufficient, if he makes well over the poverty line. If it cuts close, submit the past 3 years....

Fee, photos, certified marriage cert, all the forms, vaccination worksheet, IRS transcript(s), photocopy of the I-94 front & back and K-1.... Hmmm let me go look for the checklist

Edited by JillA

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

DUH I posted this checklist in the wrong thread, LOL

Assembling the I-485 Package: Checklist

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):

1. Payment(s) as required by USCIS. Be sure to include the payment for both the I-485 and the biometrics fee*. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

>> The fee for I-485 applications filed on or after July 30th 2007 inlcudes the cost of the I-131 and I-765 (no need to pay for them if filed with or while your I-485 application is pending adjudication -- as long as you paid the "new" rate for the I-485 effective July 30th 2007).

2. Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-485), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.

3. Form I-485: Petition for Alien Relative

4. Copy of the non US Citizen Spouses Passport (biographical page as well as entry stamps).

4a. Copy of the non US Citizen Spouses K-1 or K-3 Visa from Passport

5. K-1 Visa Holders: Submit Copy of NOA2 "Approval" for I-129F **

K-3 Visa Holders: Submit Copy of NOA2 "Approval" for I-130

6. Copy of the non US Citizen Spouses valid I-94 (front and back copies)

7. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

8. A certified copy of your marriage certificate. (If filing for your spouse)

9. Two passport-type photos (see specification) of the Non US Citizen Spouse. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

10. G-325A (all four pages) filled out,signed and dated

11. I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status. (If you already have this from your overseas Visa Interview submit a copy that medical check form; No fee is required in this case. If you are a K-1 fiancé(e) or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement (I-693A), not the entire medical report. You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application.)

12. I-864, Affidavit of Support (see poverty limits here)

>> Include any additional required supporting documentation

13. I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if you want to work while your application is processed (optional)

>> Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment as noted here.

14 I-131, Application for Travel Document, if you need to travel outside the United States while your application is processed (optional)

>> Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment as noted here.

* Fingerprint fee not needed for applicants under 14

** Should this document be misplaced/lost/never received you can file an I-824 to receive a duplicate copy via mail.

Add an overall cover page:

It is useful to add an overall cover sheet with the description of the package and pertinent information such as the applicants name and address. Make sure the cover sheet indicates the package is an Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application. List the major contents of the package (i.e. I-485 and evidence, I-765, I-131,etc).

Where to File Everything:

Applicants are required to mail applications to a national mailbox (Chicago) as stated on the form (not your local USCIS office).

Be sure to mail the package with return receipt requested / delivery confirmation. Send via USPS.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Just thought of something else, re: post office. While you don't need an SSN to register, you do need some sort of proof you live there. For example, I showed my lease. So if you're not listed on the mortgage, I'm not sure what proof you will have.... a cell phone bill, or utility bill maybe?

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Hummm... Ok, why would you need to register with the post office?

Oh you have to! I learned the hard way, I didn't know ahead of time and all my mail got turned back for about a month :angry: It sucked so bad! In the US, it's not as easy as it is in Canada when you just tell your friends and family your new addy. Nope, if you don't register at the PO you're not, well, registered living there and won't get your mail.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Hummm... Ok, why would you need to register with the post office?

Oh you have to! I learned the hard way, I didn't know ahead of time and all my mail got turned back for about a month :angry: It sucked so bad! In the US, it's not as easy as it is in Canada when you just tell your friends and family your new addy. Nope, if you don't register at the PO you're not, well, registered living there and won't get your mail.

What? Seriously? Argh that's frustrating! But... I've been getting mail at my fiance's house for months now. Not mail I want, but mail from wedding vendors and stores like bath and body works... Strange.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.