MapleLeafBaby

VISA: CHECK!!! :) NEXT STEPS....CANADIANS PLS SHARE/HELP :)

225 posts in this topic

'Seven Corners'? They do outbound insr.

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will keep searching. I am definitely buying and think it might be better to go the immigrant insurance way.

Not to change the subject, but since this thread was about preparing to leave and the AOS etc... here's another thing to consider.

I had a long chat with my accountant yesterday - yes double time fees yesterday - and he reminded me about filing my NR73.

It's that form that tells CRA that you are permanently leaving and changing your residency status.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr73/nr73-08e.pdf

Just another item to add to the existing 7523 items on your to-do list.

^_^

Fell in love with her: 1975

Lost track of her till 2004

Proposed in Paris.

And then...

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-31

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-01-09

NVC Received : 2009-01-15

NVC Left : 2009-03-05

Packet 3 Received : 2009-03-16

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-03-18

Packet 4 Received : 2009-05-07

Interview Date : 2009-06-02 (approved!!!)

Visa Received : 2009-06-??

US Entry : 2009-06-11

Marriage : 2009-06-13

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I will keep searching. I am definitely buying and think it might be better to go the immigrant insurance way.

Not to change the subject, but since this thread was about preparing to leave and the AOS etc... here's another thing to consider.

I had a long chat with my accountant yesterday - yes double time fees yesterday - and he reminded me about filing my NR73.

It's that form that tells CRA that you are permanently leaving and changing your residency status.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr73/nr73-08e.pdf

Just another item to add to the existing 7523 items on your to-do list.

^_^

What's CRA?? I really trying hard to keep the list at 7523 and not take the list to 7524!!! :P

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

My accountant told me that in order to file that last return, you technically have to severe all ties in Canada, which would mean any benefits you may be claiming (EI) bank accounts and credit etc....

You may want to hold off a tad to ensure you are sound and settled in US before filing.

They also tie the date to your POE crossing. My guy advised that I could file a couple of months after.

But then again, they are no experts in immigration, so I'm sure another accountant would have a different answer.

Also, you are required to notify institutions that hold your RRSPs and pensions, as they need to convert you to a 'non resident' of Canada.

Item #7891 on the todo list! LOL'

N-400 Citizenship

Ok, I'm moving in 4 days

Any last minute reminders?

I already...

Lined up movers, they are doing 3299 for me

Inventory for vehicle list

Have my car compliance letter

Travel insurance

Changed my address with post office

Anything else for POE? If course I have my visa that I already opened and peeked at....

KIDDING!!!! heart attack moment?! ;)

So far so good....I feel like something may be forgotten I'd missed?!

Oh yeah, just an FYI, you may want to get an experience letter from your car insurer now, as most auto insurers will ask for proof if history...

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

Yah... the list seems to grow longer the closer we get to moving. I've added at least 73 today.

So yes, you have to notify banks, mutual funds etc.

And if you do own anything... home, shares etc... then it gets even more intense. Two hours with the accountant yesterday were quite depressing.

My accountant is not a cross border expert either, but the details in the CRA guidelines are clear...

Generally, you are an emigrant for income tax purposes if you leave Canada to settle in another country and you sever your residential ties with Canada. Severing your residential ties may include:

■ disposing of or giving up a home in Canada and establishing a permanent home in another country;

■ having your spouse or common-law partner (see the definition in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide) and dependants leave Canada; and

■ disposing of personal property and breaking social ties in Canada, and acquiring or establishing them in another country.

CRA is Canada Revenue Agency.

Sigh!

Proposed in Paris.

And then...

Timeline
Ok, I'm moving in 4 days

Any last minute reminders?

So far so good....I feel like something may be forgotten I'd missed?!

Wow... it's come quick hasn't it?

My advice... leave MIL, KID and SO in the other car... then for a while make sure your remember to bring a couple of CD's. Burn some if you need to. Turn them on and play them loud!!!! And sing like you can't help but sing.

Not sure what your musical style is but I have created a Ipod playlist for my wait at Toronto airport POE and flight to San Diego.

Some great traveling / emigrating and immigrating tunes.

That's my moving advice. (not likely what you were looking for)

Proposed in Paris.

And then...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If someone could explain the whole cross border taxes thing to me that would be great! So, I need to file taxes in Canada next year, correct? And this will be the last time I need to do so unless I move back home or work in Canada? So... My logic would tell me that you would just submit this NR73 form at the time you submit your final tax return... Is this incorrect? And why would you file now opposed to waiting another 10 months or so?

If someone could explain the whole cross border taxes thing to me that would be great! So, I need to file taxes in Canada next year, correct? And this will be the last time I need to do so unless I move back home or work in Canada? So... My logic would tell me that you would just submit this NR73 form at the time you submit your final tax return... Is this incorrect? And why would you file now opposed to waiting another 10 months or so?

People file taxes anytime of year....so a few times a year. The rule of April, is more of a 'National gentle reminder' LOL! You can file when you're ready, if you will have no further income, transactions or deductions to claim, but you have until April 31 2010 as your deadline.

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

Have a look at this years Tax return thread - it's super helpful for me. My 2008 tax return is my last Cdn tax return that will have just my Ei income on it (I moved here in 2007).

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I think my Dad's accountant totally screwed up my taxes. I had a feeling he didn't know what he was doing. That form was never sent in, instead he filled out this non resident of Canada form, but that was probably supposed to be sent next year because Canada didn't know I left. I dunno, I sent my tax package in March to Ottawa and haven't heard anything back yet.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, so we emailed Toyota of Canada over the weekend and they ACTUALLY emailed him back today!!! Imagine that... a company that checks their feedback email!

Here's their verbatim response for his vehicle...

> Dear Mr. H:

>

> Thank you for your recent e-mail.

>

> For Canadian residents relocating to the United States, Toyota Canada is able to investigate DOT/EPA compliance of Canadian Toyota vehicles. Upon confirmation that the vehicle does comply, we will issue a letter of compliance. This letter is required in order to register the vehicle permanently in the U.S.

>

> We would require the following information prior to issuing a letter of compliance:

>

> - Model Year and 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

> - US Mailing Address(Please note that compliance regulations may vary by state)

> - Date of Departure from Canada

> - Copy of Driver's License (both sides)

> - Copy of Provincial Registration (both sides, showing expiration date)

> - Your Canadian mailing address (and fax number if available)

>

> This information can be forwarded to Toyota Canada Inc. by mail, e-mail or by fax at the following:

>

> Toyota Canada Inc.

> Head Office

> 1 Toyota Place

> Scarborough, ON

> M1H 1H9

> Fax: (416) 431-8035

> E-mail: toyota_feedback@toyota.ca

YEA! Duncan even said he'd do this one! Something LESS for me to do!!!

Here's an update - So, he finally got everything scanned in and sent off (via email) to Toyota of Canada yesterday morning around 9am. By 3 pm, he had a response that the letter had been drafted and the final version would be mailed to his Canadian address. I can't believe it!!! In a 6 hour-ish turn around, he has (practically) his Import Compliance Letter! :thumbs:

Trailmix, thank you SO much for your help with this!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Yeay JulyB!!! Another task off your list!

So my fiancé gets here tmrw!!!! I can't wait! We haven't seen each other since the interview!!!

Movers will be here on Thurs, then we are off Friday morning!!!!

My fiancé said on the phone 'I'm coming to get my bride!!!!' haha! So cute!

I have my last hair appmnt tmrw with my hairdresser too :( I'm gonna go back to brown for a while...gotta find a new hairdresser...you girls know how hard that is! Lol'!

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

So my fiancé gets here tmrw!!!! I can't wait! We haven't seen each other since the interview!!!

I have my last hair appmnt tmrw with my hairdresser too :( I'm gonna go back to brown for a while...gotta find a new hairdresser...you girls know how hard that is! Lol'!

Congrats PopRocks... hope the next few days are really good for you.

Edited by seekersharer

Proposed in Paris.

And then...

Timeline

People file taxes anytime of year....so a few times a year. The rule of April, is more of a 'National gentle reminder' LOL! You can file when you're ready, if you will have no further income, transactions or deductions to claim, but you have until April 31 2010 as your deadline.

Hummm really eh? That's news to me. I'll just file in March like everyone else :lol:

Udella&Wiz- Thanks for the tip! I will check it out.

I have an accountant as well, and all he said was, "don't worry, i'll do it for you via fax." so I'll have to make sure I teach myself and then make sure he's doing everything correctly. That's the plan anyways.

Awesome! I'm so excited for you. Have fun in Disney!

My mom is my hairdresser! I've never actually had my hair cut by anyone else. Its going to be weird letting someone else cut it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.