MapleLeafBaby

VISA: CHECK!!! :) NEXT STEPS....CANADIANS PLS SHARE/HELP :)

225 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a random FYI my fiance went and added me to his cell phone plan yesterday. They put my name on the account without any ID, or without me even being there! He has Verizon. Now I have some prof I live in the area for the post office :thumbs:

I'm probably going to do the AOS stuff mid August-early September so I'll probably be after you July and Poprocks... I really plan on taking my time, I'm sick of being stressed out. If the application is in the mail by day 89 I'll be perfectly content with that!

Congrats on the house again Poprocks! It sounds so lovely. You are being a worrywart but I can't blame you for it!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Personally, I would have a list of contents prepared for each vehicle and a statement that they are owned by your fiance who is now moving to the US on a K-1 visa. All three vehicles will go into secondary - and yes, your fiance need to be in the lead vehicle. When you arrive at the border he will say he is activating his K-1 and that you have family members in the two vehicles behind you who are helping you move your fiance's belongings to the US. The guard will direct you to Secondary and then when the other two vehicles arrive at the border and explain they are with you - direct them as well over to Secondary. You should have a total list of all contents being imported in the three vehicles, but just in case they want to see any thing you need to know in which vehicle it is located. You don't need a precise list but a relatively generic one will do, ie. box of books, box of winter clothing; box of personal care items, ie; box of music CDs, etc. For example, if they want to check the music CDs you need to know that they are in vehicle # 3 driven by your Dad. They probably won't bother to check belongings, but just in case they do, you need to be prepared. (In fact, I am convinced that the more prepared you are the less likely you will need any of the paperwork, hehehehe.). Your parents may end up waiting in their vehicles - I guess it depends on what instructions are given by the secondary inspection people - or they may be allowed inside with the two of you.

Good luck, and happy and uneventful moving.

Kathryn, thank you SO much for this info! I will make sure, as we pack the vehicles, to make a "per vehicle" list to go with his "big" list. :thumbs:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Just a random FYI my fiance went and added me to his cell phone plan yesterday. They put my name on the account without any ID, or without me even being there! He has Verizon. Now I have some prof I live in the area for the post office :thumbs:

I'm probably going to do the AOS stuff mid August-early September so I'll probably be after you July and Poprocks... I really plan on taking my time, I'm sick of being stressed out. If the application is in the mail by day 89 I'll be perfectly content with that!

Congrats on the house again Poprocks! It sounds so lovely. You are being a worrywart but I can't blame you for it!

Hey me too! My fiancé picked me up a cell phone this week to bring to me for next week when we move. He had to get it in his name, but they allowed him to add the bill address as 'care of' and my name on it, as though they are being mailed to me. I guess I can use this for the post office? Yeay!

I also got my Amex a couple weeks ago that I will convert when I get down there. I am also going to apply for Target and Macy's the first day I arrive, with my Canadian credit. All my mail will be forwarded, and I'll just convert them by the end of the summer. I'm hoping that plan works LOL!

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

When I do my vehicle lists, I'm gonna make my mom ride with my fiancé in his car, and list 'one grumpy future MIL'...and see if that flies :lol:

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline
When I do my vehicle lists, I'm gonna make my mom ride with my fiancé in his car, and list 'one grumpy future MIL'...and see if that flies :lol:

OMG, you kill me!!!!! :) I LOVE your sense of humor and reality!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Sorry I'm sentimental today LOL!

Speaking of being sentimental... I'm big on Christmas cards (when I have time to actually DO/SEND them!). So, don't be surprised if I ask you for your address so I can send a card to you in another 7 months! LOL

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Speaking of being sentimental... I'm big on Christmas cards (when I have time to actually DO/SEND them!). So, don't be surprised if I ask you for your address so I can send a card to you in another 7 months! LOL

ok, but i'll have you know, that I fully intend of getting every pennies worth of the $196 I will spend for Canada Post to forward my mail to the US. So if you don't mind spending the $$$ on postage to Canada to mail me my card, which will then be redirected to my US address, then we're game! ;)

PS. Being Canadian, we are very politically sensitive as well, in an effort to not offend anyone, I would ask that the card state a general 'Happy Holidays' as we also observe Hanukkah and Kwanzaa lol! :lol:

oh, yes, and many Greeks celebrate the old calendar, which Christmas falls in January, so please mail my card late :rofl:

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

ok, but i'll have you know, that I fully intend of getting every pennies worth of the $196 I will spend for Canada Post to forward my mail to the US. So if you don't mind spending the $$$ on postage to Canada to mail me my card, which will then be redirected to my US address, then we're game! ;)

PS. Being Canadian, we are very politically sensitive as well, in an effort to not offend anyone, I would ask that the card state a general 'Happy Holidays' as we also observe Hanukkah and Kwanzaa lol! :lol:

oh, yes, and many Greeks celebrate the old calendar, which Christmas falls in January, so please mail my card late :rofl:

Hey, well, then we're on!

~ Postage $.44 compared to $.75 --- I can deal with that. :yes:

~ I think most (if not all of my cards) are always Happy Holidays --- I can deal with that. :thumbs:

~ I typically run OUT of time and only WISH I could send holiday cards out in January --- I'll be on time for your card and not anyone elses!!! :rofl:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all of those in moving mode, AOS/AP/EAD, and all other related issues prep.

I haven't got my K1 visa yet, but here is my own crazy timeline.

Montreal Interview - June 2

Expected delivery of Visa - June 9

Flight/Move to US booked - June 11 (should I be nervous?)

Wedding - June 13.

I might actually be getting married before some of you. Yikes, it's coming quick.

So I have the entire binder of stuff ready for Montreal interview and am now working AOS stuff.

As I am working through all the information, here are some questions I have that I hope you might be able to help me with.

1. On the I-765, question 16 asks about eligibility categories. The example form in VJ suggests ©(9) but as I read the instruction guidebook from UCSIS it seems to fit more with the (a)(6) category. K-1 Non-Immigrant Fiance of US Citizen. I've read both categories a number of times and can;t figure it out.

What are you putting? I'm confused.

2. If I don't have a SSN before I send AOS, do I just put "n/a" or "none" on the forms?

3. Place of entry? If I clear customs in Canada at Toronto airport, is that what i put? Or is the city the plane is flying to?

4. Finally, upon entry into the US, what are you doing about medical insurance. I can;t get on my wife's plan till July 1st. I searched for some options and found some plans for those involved in immigration. They are month to month plans. What are you doing in the interim?

Those of you who have said that this process is consuming and stressful, I couldn't agree more. I'm finding myself very weary about it all. but the good thing is what it all means... for that i am grateful.

Any advice on the above items would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Tom

Fell in love with her: 1975

Lost track of her till 2004

Proposed in Paris.

And then...

I-129F Sent : 2008-10-31

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-01-09

NVC Received : 2009-01-15

NVC Left : 2009-03-05

Packet 3 Received : 2009-03-16

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-03-18

Packet 4 Received : 2009-05-07

Interview Date : 2009-06-02 (approved!!!)

Visa Received : 2009-06-??

US Entry : 2009-06-11

Marriage : 2009-06-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi all of those in moving mode, AOS/AP/EAD, and all other related issues prep.

I haven't got my K1 visa yet, but here is my own crazy timeline.

Montreal Interview - June 2

Expected delivery of Visa - June 9

Flight/Move to US booked - June 11 (should I be nervous?)

Wedding - June 13.

I might actually be getting married before some of you. Yikes, it's coming quick.

So I have the entire binder of stuff ready for Montreal interview and am now working AOS stuff.

As I am working through all the information, here are some questions I have that I hope you might be able to help me with.

1. On the I-765, question 16 asks about eligibility categories. The example form in VJ suggests ©(9) but as I read the instruction guidebook from UCSIS it seems to fit more with the (a)(6) category. K-1 Non-Immigrant Fiance of US Citizen. I've read both categories a number of times and can;t figure it out.

What are you putting? I'm confused.

2. If I don't have a SSN before I send AOS, do I just put "n/a" or "none" on the forms?

3. Place of entry? If I clear customs in Canada at Toronto airport, is that what i put? Or is the city the plane is flying to?

4. Finally, upon entry into the US, what are you doing about medical insurance. I can;t get on my wife's plan till July 1st. I searched for some options and found some plans for those involved in immigration. They are month to month plans. What are you doing in the interim?

Those of you who have said that this process is consuming and stressful, I couldn't agree more. I'm finding myself very weary about it all. but the good thing is what it all means... for that i am grateful.

Any advice on the above items would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Tom

Hi Tom,

Wow a busy couple of weeks for you!

1. Now I don't have the instructions in front of me, I'm looking at my form and I put C-9. I remember being confused about this as well, and I ended up putting C-9. I would stick with that.

2. Yes, I put NONE as I had applied but not yet received at the time of filing AOS. None is safe, because, well you have none yet!

3. I put Buffalo, NY as I crossed by vehicle. To be honest, if you're flying through Pearson and it does ask for your place of last entry into the US, perhaps it is supposed to be the city you're landing in? But I can't say for sure.

4. I see you will only be without insurance for about 2 weeks, I was without insurance for about 10 days. I just took the risk, if it had been much longer I wouldn't have, but it was short. I'm not sure about the insurance you can get for such a short term, but if you do a search on here you'll find lots of info.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Yep...extremely busy.

Just did a ton more looking and c9 is the right one. The a6 expires with the K1 after 90 days. Not so good.

Thanks Jill.

Proposed in Paris.

And then...

Tom, welcome!

Well, I can't answer most of your questions as I am at the same stage as you, and equally confused LOL! Bit I can say that the longest your visa can potentially take to be mailed to you is one week. Normally you will see it within 3 to 5 days. So you should be good.

As for travel insurance, do you want to right answer or the way most of us do it? Lol'!

The true correct way is to get outbound immigration insurance which is VERY expensive. However, I feel this is over kill and designed for immigrants with no health care access at all.

The second option is travel insurance, much cheaper, which everyone here normally gets (like RBC, Coop, etc...) but I will give my two cents on this, being that I worked in the insurance industry for well over a decade... Technically travel insurance only works in conjunction with your provincial carrier (OHIP for example) they normally will cover a provincial minimum and the travel insurance covers any excess... That being said, you need to have provincial coverage. Technically you have to be a Canadian resident with the 'intent' of returning in order to qualify for provincial coverage. If we are moving with no intent of returning, in essence we are forfeiting our coverage. That being said, it is a grey area, as we technically have no status in the US when we arrive. If an insurance company was aware of this at the time they rec've your claim, it could be an issue. But, being that it is a relatively short period of time, it could go through with no problems.

Clear as mud? My opinion is that you get your travel insurance, but make sure you don't terminate any Canadian ties, like filing any final tax returns etc... Until you marry and get health coverage in the US...

And here's to hoping, none of us will have to use it!!!

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline
Technically you have to be a Canadian resident with the 'intent' of returning in order to qualify for provincial coverage. If we are moving with no intent of returning, in essence we are forfeiting our coverage. That being said, it is a grey area, as we technically have no status in the US when we arrive. If an insurance company was aware of this at the time they rec've your claim, it could be an issue. But, being that it is a relatively short period of time, it could go through with no problems.

And here's to hoping, none of us will have to use it!!!

The frustration of insurance. You don't buy it for the healthy normal, you buy it for the unexpected.

I guess my concern is... if in the 3 weeks before I get on my wifes plan I broke my arm (or worse)... and it cost me $1000, then is the $100 of insurance worth it?

Travel insurance requires a return to Canada... for treatment. If I refuse to return, I suspect not only do I pay the bill but might even lead to more issues. Is that worth $100?

I fully expect to flush that money down the toilet. But in the unlikely event I did need treatment, it was well worth the $100.

Proposed in Paris.

And then...

You don't buy travel insurance with a broken arm in mind, you buy it with a catastrophic car accident, 10 Doctor surgery in mind! The $100k type of scenario.

They will treat you in the US....no need to return to CA to be treated. However, any hospital has no right to refuse anyone trauma care, regardless of coverage.

Welcome to the world of insurance, where you purchase non tangable products that are marketed on the premise of 'fear' lol'!

It's easy for even a broken limb, xrays etc...to go to $2-3k... I would spring for the travel insurance and for the peace of mind :)

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: Timeline

i would never travel to the US without some kind of insurance.

And poprocks is mucho correcto in stating that the typical travel insurance we are used to (CAA, RBC etc.) only works with OHIP and since really, most of us are giving up OHIP when we leave our Canadian residency, then we cannot (shouldn't is a better word ;) ) use that.

I used one of those ones recommended on VJ - but I will have to find the thread! It was VERY cheap. Like $20 for 2 weeks. I will have to find it when I have more time....just wanted to give my 2 cents!

September 11th, 2004 - Met in Asia

May 2007 - Engaged in Hawaii!!

June 2008 - I-129F Petition

June (I think) 2008 - NOA1

October 2008 - NOA2 (P3 sent to wrong consulate by accident)

December 2008 - NON-legal wedding ceremony in Honduras

January 19th, 2009 - P3 finally arrives to correct consulate AND me!!

January 19th, 2009 - "Overnighted" P3 back same day. I am so efficient!!

January 23rd, 2009 - Montreal finally gets it. "Overnight" my a**!! Money refunded to me from Canada Post...ASAH!

March 27th, 2009 - Notified by phone call of interview date

March 31, 2009 - Interview Letter received in mail (P4)

April 6th, 2009 - Medical

April 17th, 2009 - Interview!!!

April 27th 2009 MOVED POE - Buffalo Peace Bridge

May 1st 2009 - Married!!

May 18th - SSN arrived in mail

AoS:

May 14th, 2009 - Filed for AoS - Come on NOOOO RFE'S!!!

May 22nd, 2009 - NOA1 for AoS, AP, EAD - California Service Center. ASAH

May 30th, 2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received for I485, I765 (where is the I131????)....date June 12th. 2009

June 2nd, 2009 - Biometrics completed

June 15th, 2009 - EAD Card production ordered!!

June 20th, 2009 - AP, EAD arrives in mail! (no email from CRIS)

July 2nd, 2009 - AOS Transferred to California

August 7th, 2009 - Green Card production ordered. WoohoO!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.