MapleLeafBaby

VISA: CHECK!!! :) NEXT STEPS....CANADIANS PLS SHARE/HELP :)

225 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Don't forget..... you can use Form I-864EZ Affidavit of Support if you qualify.

. I know people can get "emergency" AP, but I do not believe they can until AOS has been filed. If someone else is aware otherwise, you can correct me on this.

This is correct.

Thanks Krikit!! I was pretty sure they couldn't but it was Sept 2006 since Danette and I had to deal with this and I HATE to give incorrect information to anyone. :thumbs:

Edited by rooster

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you explain this a little more? How would one qualify? How does this differ from the normal 'I-864' I thought we had to file this anyways?

Thanks

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Could you explain this a little more? How would one qualify? How does this differ from the normal 'I-864' I thought we had to file this anyways?

Thanks

It's much less involved than the I-864. I believe you said you had a child, Poprocks, so it won't apply to you. Here are the qualifying conditions:

Qualifying to Use Form I-864EZ.

You may use Form I-864EZ if the statements in 1(a), 1(b ) and 1(c ) are all true. If you cannot check "Yes" to all three boxes, you do NOT qualify to use Form I-864 EZ and therefore must use Form I-864. Submission of the incorrect form will delay processing.

a. Check "Yes" if you are the petitioner who is filing or who has already filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative; Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e); Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative; or Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition.

b. Check "Yes" if you are using only your own earned or retirement income that can be documented with an IRS Form W-2. If you are self-employed, you must check "No" to the question and you cannot use Form I-864EZ.

c. The term "immigrating with" in this statement means "on the same visa petition". Thus, if the person you are sponsoring is an immediate relative (spouse, child, or certain parents of U.S. citizens), you can automatically check "Yes" for this box because every immediate relative has his or her own visa petition. If the person you are sponsoring is a family-based preference immigrant, and the family members listed on the same visa petition are immigrating with or within 6 months of the sponsored immigrant, you must check "No" for this box and you cannot use Form I-864EZ.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

Thanks

It's much less involved than the I-864. I believe you said you had a child, Poprocks, so it won't apply to you. Here are the qualifying conditions:

You may use Form I-864EZ if the statements in 1(a), 1(b ) and 1(c ) are all true. If you cannot check "Yes" to all three boxes, you do NOT qualify to use Form I-864 EZ and therefore must use Form I-864. Submission of the incorrect form will delay processing.

a. Check "Yes" if you are the petitioner who is filing or who has already filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative; Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e); Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative; or Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition.

b. Check "Yes" if you are using only your own earned or retirement income that can be documented with an IRS Form W-2. If you are self-employed, you must check "No" to the question and you cannot use Form I-864EZ.

c. The term "immigrating with" in this statement means "on the same visa petition". Thus, if the person you are sponsoring is an immediate relative (spouse, child, or certain parents of U.S. citizens), you can automatically check "Yes" for this box because every immediate relative has his or her own visa petition. If the person you are sponsoring is a family-based preference immigrant, and the family members listed on the same visa petition are immigrating with or within 6 months of the sponsored immigrant, you must check "No" for this box and you cannot use Form I-864EZ.

So... that means we can do the Form I-864EZ Affidavit of Support. YEA!!! Something EZ!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's tough to figure out why some people get interviews and others don't. I had an interview and I filed before the 90 days were up. My case was straightforward and the interview ended up being pretty easy. Ten minutes tops. Maybe it's just random. It actually worked out for me in that generally (this past winter) those with interviews were getting approved faster than those who were transferred to CSC (Jill is an exception ... hers was super fast!).

Also, although it wasn't required, I sent in proof of a relationship with my AOS application ... bank statement, some pictures, car insurance, home purchase. At the interview he barely asked us for any proof because he'd already seen it in my application. Sending it in didn't help me avoid an interview, but it made my interview speedy! I think the home purchase clinched it.

I didn't send a certified copy of my marriage certificate, but I brought the certified copy to the interview. He didn't even look ask for it. It took about a week to receive our marriage certificate, but that's definitely something to check out. I've heard people waiting for months because someone went on vacation or something. Also, in NJ you need to get a marriage licence from your town first. That took a couple of days as well. Both of you need to go in person along with a witness that knows the NJ resident. It says you need an SSN, but you don't. Just bring your passport. This is for NJ ... don't know about other states.

For vaccinations, I did what Jill did ... attached a copy of the vaccination worksheet. I didn't bother with the 693. But as Jill said, it seems random as to whether this works or not. As someone else said, if you don't mind having your application delayed about 2 weeks if you get an RFE, you might want to take a risk. If you're in a hurry, don't take the risk and get the 693 done by Dr. Arnold.

As Kathryn said, you don't necessarily have to file before the 90 days is up, but personally I would recommend filing for AOS as soon as is reasonably possible. It's a weird time, being in limbo. You don't live in Canada anymore, but you don't officially live in the U.S. You can't travel home without AP. You can't work. I loved having the time off work (I don't get bored not working!), but at a certain point you want to join society again! I guess everyone is different, but it's nice to have the choices that having a green card brings.

Good luck everyone!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Thanks

So... that means we can do the Form I-864EZ Affidavit of Support. YEA!!! Something EZ!!! :)

Is there that much of a difference? I thought I just had to file a copy of his 2008 IRS transcript and i'll be fine. He is well over the poverty line...

or is it much more complex?

Darn... I knew the kid would slow me down! :rofl: HAHA! Just kidding... I love my little cuddle bug.... :luv:

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Poprocks it's not too much different.... the 864 regular is a few more pages than the EZ, I did the regular because I only found about the EZ after I did it so said screw it.... Didn't take me long to fill out at all.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Okay, so I'm talking to my fiance' via Skype right now. He's telling me he's tired of the hassle and doesn't want to be hasseled anymore. Read that to mean: He is not going to label boxes for his move and he is not going to create a "packing list" or "inventory" of what's where in which box in which vehicle (there will be 3 vehicles... his car with me driving, him as the passenger; my SUV with my mom driving; my dad's truck with my dad driving). ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! he doesn't get it. He is REALLY, REALLLY getting on my nerves with his lack of desire for preparation. I mean, I'm going to have to sit there and listen to him want to argue with the CPB guys... and I know it won't go well. But, then again, he's also the kind of guy who will bit@h and moan about EVERYTHING and then do things the way they're supposed to be done but he won't tell me he's decided to do them the right way. ARGH!!!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, so I'm talking to my fiance' via Skype right now. He's telling me he's tired of the hassle and doesn't want to be hasseled anymore. Read that to mean: He is not going to label boxes for his move and he is not going to create a "packing list" or "inventory" of what's where in which box in which vehicle (there will be 3 vehicles... his car with me driving, him as the passenger; my SUV with my mom driving; my dad's truck with my dad driving). ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!! he doesn't get it. He is REALLY, REALLLY getting on my nerves with his lack of desire for preparation. I mean, I'm going to have to sit there and listen to him want to argue with the CPB guys... and I know it won't go well. But, then again, he's also the kind of guy who will bit@h and moan about EVERYTHING and then do things the way they're supposed to be done but he won't tell me he's decided to do them the right way. ARGH!!!

His list can be very basic. Like "Kitchen supplies" + "Clothes" and "books" - It doesn't have to be very detailed at all.

I've decided that I'm not even going to bother reading up about the next steps yet. I know the basics, so when it's time to file I'm going to book a couple of hours and just get it done!

The one thing I was thinking about today though - When I fill out the customs form to enter at the airport - what address do I use as my home address? My address in Canada still? Does it matter?

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

His list can be very basic. Like "Kitchen supplies" + "Clothes" and "books" - It doesn't have to be very detailed at all.

I've decided that I'm not even going to bother reading up about the next steps yet. I know the basics, so when it's time to file I'm going to book a couple of hours and just get it done!

The one thing I was thinking about today though - When I fill out the customs form to enter at the airport - what address do I use as my home address? My address in Canada still? Does it matter?

I was trying to tell him the list can be basic, but he said he didn't want to be hassled anymore. Hmph. He said he's going to lable them all "Miscellaneous $hit". Dumba$$.

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

What's that list about? Is that a requirement for moving to the US under a K1?

K-1
Oct. 2, 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC
May 12, 2009 - Interview - Approved
July 28, 2009 - Civil Wedding
Sep. 5, 2009 - Wedding

AOS
Aug. 10, 2009 - AOS/EAD/AP Package received in Chicago
Oct. 27, 2009 - Interview - APPROVED !!
Nov. 06, 2009 - Green Card Received

ROC
Aug. 13, 2011 - ROC Package sent to VSC
May 31, 2012 - ROC - APPROVED !!!
June 11, 2012 - Green Card Received

Naturalization
Mar 21, 2013 - N-400 Package sent to Lewisville,TX
Mar 22, 2013 - Package delivered
Mar 26, 2013 - NOA
Mar 27, 2013 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2013 - Early Biometrics (Appt scheduled for April 18th)

Jul 10, 2013 - Interview - PASSED

Jul 26, 2013 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Use your US address.

I was trying to tell him the list can be basic, but he said he didn't want to be hassled anymore. Hmph. He said he's going to lable them all "Miscellaneous $hit". Dumba$$.

Don't sweat it, July. It's not going to be a problem. He may (emphasis on "may") get asked what he's bringing with him and he can just say books, clothes, etc.

What's that list about? Is that a requirement for moving to the US under a K1?

The list for bringing your personal and household goods with you when you immigrate.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sweet, thanks Krikit! I feel like I'll be in limbo for a few hours there.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Requirements for Driving across Border with belongings in tow:

Here's what I'm guessing we need to have when driving over the border...

1- The "Do Not Open" Package from USCIS.

2- Passport with Visa stamp.

3- Letter from Auto Manufacturer (stating that the vehicle meets US configurations for safety and EPA).

4- Notarized letters stating that my parents and I have permission to drive his belongings over the border (we will be caravanning through the POE and we'll all stop and all go into secondary while he gets processed).

5- Money to pay for some form (I'm sure there's some fee of some sort... I can't imagine the US requiring a form with out some sort of fee).

6- Itemized list of what boxes are in what vehicles.

Other than that. . . suggestions????

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.