MapleLeafBaby

CONFESSION TIME....NEED ADVISE!!!

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I just so flustered when I think about the boarder crossing... then getting a marriage license, get married, transfer car, get license, file forms, get accounts, enroll my son into school... blah blah blah... oh yeah, and cook dinner for my new husband :whistle:

:star:

Whoaaaa. No wonder you are feeling overwhelmed :lol:

Don't be flustered by the border crossing by the way - it is truly no big deal, while it may test your patience a bit, it's really just turning in some forms and having someone enter your info in a database - really.

As for the rest of the stuff, just write a list and mark them off as you do them. If you look at them separately none of them are really that difficult - again, they may try your patience, but that's going to happen a lot once you move, no way around that haha.

Plus! Do keep in mind that you will be unemployed for a while. You seem like a high energy person, you will have no problem accomplishing this stuff!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

poprocks, absolutely don't be frustrated.

I hired a lawyer and it was one of the silliest thing's I have ever done. He didn't do anything but send in the paper work.

I found VJ AFTER the lawyer fiasco and believe me, you can do it on your own.

If you need any help, just ask us.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed lol ask them for help and then when my time comes I'll just look back to those boards. No lawyer necessary, lawyers just try and make you think everything is super difficult.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Timeline
We did it ourselves the only thing that slowed us down was the printer, having to print out the forms for 5 of us and then double checking it all making sure we didnt miss a kid lol.

AHHH HAAA! That's funny! :)

I didn't even read the guides or get familiar with AOS until after I arrived and married, I didn't want too much information overload!! But yes definitely read the guides, practice filling them out, etc. You don't need any proof for the AOS package except marriage cert, the proof will be needed later for the interview if you get called for an interview. Trust us all, save your $$!! Think of the nice family vacay you can take with that $$, sorry but what a rip off the lawyer is charging you!

I agree with you... I haven't even really researched the AOS yet. I figure I'll have lot's of time to kill once I get there and am unemployed!

From what I've looked at so far, it seems like a piece of cake. I'll be sending mine in probably around the same time, so we'll have eachother for moral support :)

I agree... it is a rip off...

You guys are right, I can do it!

How long is it taking to get adjusted status at this point? I think I saw that AP is taking about 3 months, and the AOS about 7 months? i'm just wondering if my medical will still be good, it's good till the one year (Feb).

My case is very straight forward... I was just worried cause of my son, didn't want to miss anything, and I really want to try and get on the AP thing, so he can start seeing his dad easily.

ok, gonna do it :)

I brought my daughter so I understand the situation about being able to get back home and see family. We arrived Nov 12 and had the whole 9 yards (AP/EAD and then GC) in hand effective Feb 25 - 3 months in total - not a long wait at all. My GC came right on top of receiving the Ap/EAD so it was never really needed. It's not like that for everyone...but as long as you have the AP, you're golden

Maybe the father can schedule a visit to the US between the time you arrive and you have the AP ? Remember - you could meet half way if it's far and you cn travel within the US.

PS - after reviewing my timeline, I realized we applied for AOS mid Dec - so between mid Dec and Feb 25 is even less then 3 months!

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll chime in anyway...

A word of advice, if you want a thread to stay "in Canada", then don't title it "CONFESSION TIME", because then it will be very well read and might make it on to the "Today's Active Topics" (see upper right corner of screen) where people like me who are nosy and/or bored at work might drop in...

But ANYHOW... it really is no big deal to do AOS on your own. Just pay attention and do your best to follow your case status online. And don't worry about pestering people here... it has been my experience that they are very kind to neurotic worriers who ask a million questions (at least they were to me :P )

So good luck and here's wishing you a smooth AOS...

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll chime in anyway...

A word of advice, if you want a thread to stay "in Canada", then don't title it "CONFESSION TIME", because then it will be very well read and might make it on to the "Today's Active Topics" (see upper right corner of screen) where people like me who are nosy and/or bored at work might drop in...

But ANYHOW... it really is no big deal to do AOS on your own. Just pay attention and do your best to follow your case status online. And don't worry about pestering people here... it has been my experience that they are very kind to neurotic worriers who ask a million questions (at least they were to me :P )

So good luck and here's wishing you a smooth AOS...

Maya

I don't think the OP meant non-Canadians stay away, she just wanted it left in the Canada forum.

We welcome everyone here, nice to see you maya :)

Edited by trailmix

Ahaha!

Curiousity killed the cat! I know, talk about an inviting title lol'! I world click on a title like that over 'quick question' anyday! Lol'!

I value all feedback :) I just feel that in proof preparation etc....and boarder crossing (AP) travel, my Canadians would be able to give me similar experiences...

I'm a creature of habit...now that I've taken a liking to the Canada Forum...I ain't leavin!!! :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Ahaha!

Curiousity killed the cat! I know, talk about an inviting title lol'! I world click on a title like that over 'quick question' anyday! Lol'!

I value all feedback :) I just feel that in proof preparation etc....and boarder crossing (AP) travel, my Canadians would be able to give me similar experiences...

I'm a creature of habit...now that I've taken a liking to the Canada Forum...I ain't leavin!!! :)

Which POE are you going to be using? I highly recommend the Windsor-Detroit if you're around there as they seem to have the most people working that understand Visas and how to activate and all that. My wife and I used that POE and we go to visit her family every few months and there's always at least one person who seems to know what they're doing :)

Also I agree with everyone else about the lawyer, my wife and I are still using ours just because we had so much trouble but most of the process was just her and I sitting up late together redoing the forms to make sure they were completely correct. Congrats!!!!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Poprocks the paper work for AOS will be a breeze. I met K1 applicant @ the consulate and she said she was quoted $5000 to do all the paper work from the start to the end (AOS) and it took her 14 months just to get a consulate interview. Think about all the $$$ you'll save. and when you receive the paperwork, you get to see it first! its exciting.

Also.. if you dont know how to break up with your lawyer... check this book http://www.amazon.com/Dump-Em-Anyone-Frien...r/dp/0061646628

I was watching Good Morning america and they said its a great book about how to break up with your doctor or your kid's mom b/c she maybe annoying. lol. teaches you how not to ruin the childrens friendship when you break up with that mom. lol.

Edited by borderdriver

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

Timeline

As Tmix said, making a list really helps.... I wish I still had my list to send you because it really helped me.... I did a "to do" list and it helped me focus alot and concentrate on one thing at a time.... once it was done I would cross it off and I felt really accomplished! I remember about 2 months after I moved my last item was crossed off and I felt so happy, the last item was getting the tags on my car! I even had simple things on the list like "join the gym" but it kept me busy too at the beginning.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
If it makes you feel any better, I chose to skip the lawyer as well, and am also a complete stress case. Needless to say I badgered people here in the Canadian forum at least daily, (sometimes a few times a day,) with annoying, paranoid questions, and people were always friendly and willing to help out! (I did the CR-1, but I've heard AOS is a breeze :)

Honestly, I'm sure you'll be fine! It's not as hard as it looks, and you'll have your VJ buddies around to back you up, so WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT WEATHER??

Shhhhh. I'm trying to get her to give it to me. :secret:

Oops, my bad. Edited out for the sake of Kriket's billfold :whistle:

OMG, now it makes me look like some kind of perv! :lol:

HAHA!!! Kirkit, YOU'RE HIRED!!! lol! But just so I know who i'm dealing with, are you the one on the right with hair, or the bald one on the left in your photo? :)

Ok, I will read over the guides etc... I assume I can maybe start some of it now? like filling out the forms etc?

The proof (such as bills, leases etc...) is not needed till afterwards right?

For the K1, for every form I had to complete for myself, I had to do the same one for my son. So I assume I will do the AOS, AP, but not the EAD?

Off topic, do kids need SSN's? Like if I go to the SSN office to apply, should I get one for my 5 year old son?

Ok, you guys made me feel better... my lawyer is gonna hate me.... lol!

Keep an eye out for a thread titled 'POPROCKS AOS JOURNEY' :rofl:

Thanks guys!!!!

OMG... I have an idea!!! Why don't we do this together!!! It seemed to work well for the K1..... :lol: I'll mooch off your info - you mooch off my information... we'll get through it all together!!! Only problem to that is... you'll be married before D gets over here. :crying: Hey... wait! That works for me... I'll mooch off of you....!!!!!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Ahaha!

Me either!!! And I'm not even Canadian... but I'm marrying one!! lol :)

As Tmix said, making a list really helps.... I wish I still had my list to send you because it really helped me.... I did a "to do" list and it helped me focus alot and concentrate on one thing at a time.... once it was done I would cross it off and I felt really accomplished! I remember about 2 months after I moved my last item was crossed off and I felt so happy, the last item was getting the tags on my car! I even had simple things on the list like "join the gym" but it kept me busy too at the beginning.

Does anyone (is there one in a Wiki or Guide) have an AOS checklist? What about a POE checklist??

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
If it makes you feel any better, I chose to skip the lawyer as well, and am also a complete stress case. Needless to say I badgered people here in the Canadian forum at least daily, (sometimes a few times a day,) with annoying, paranoid questions, and people were always friendly and willing to help out! (I did the CR-1, but I've heard AOS is a breeze :)

Honestly, I'm sure you'll be fine! It's not as hard as it looks, and you'll have your VJ buddies around to back you up, so WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT WEATHER??

Shhhhh. I'm trying to get her to give it to me. :secret:

Oops, my bad. Edited out for the sake of Kriket's billfold :whistle:

OMG, now it makes me look like some kind of perv! :lol:

HAHA!!! Kirkit, YOU'RE HIRED!!! lol! But just so I know who i'm dealing with, are you the one on the right with hair, or the bald one on the left in your photo? :)

Ok, I will read over the guides etc... I assume I can maybe start some of it now? like filling out the forms etc?

The proof (such as bills, leases etc...) is not needed till afterwards right?

For the K1, for every form I had to complete for myself, I had to do the same one for my son. So I assume I will do the AOS, AP, but not the EAD?

Off topic, do kids need SSN's? Like if I go to the SSN office to apply, should I get one for my 5 year old son?

Ok, you guys made me feel better... my lawyer is gonna hate me.... lol!

Keep an eye out for a thread titled 'POPROCKS AOS JOURNEY' :rofl:

Thanks guys!!!!

OMG... I have an idea!!! Why don't we do this together!!! It seemed to work well for the K1..... :lol: I'll mooch off your info - you mooch off my information... we'll get through it all together!!! Only problem to that is... you'll be married before D gets over here. :crying: Hey... wait! That works for me... I'll mooch off of you....!!!!!

HA! You'll both be married before me. This means I can mooch off you both. :ph34r: It WILL be like the K-1 experience all over again! I honestly expect you to ask all the weird questions so when Its my turn things will be easy :P

Jill- Brilliant! I will make a to do list. This way I won't be bored out of my skull waiting for my EAD/AP. Joining the gym? Good idea. Its about time I start exercising my lazy butt.

Oh, yeah, do it yourself. I'm a big worrywart, too, and I'm super nit-picky about details (I'm a technical editor). I did my husband's AOS and EAD paperwork by myself. The whole process took me about a week: three days to psych myself up to do it, one day to make a little checklist and gather most of the documentation, one day to fill out all the forms and gather the REST of the documentation, and two days to check, make corrections, recheck, throw a little temper tantrum because the neighbors were playing music outside while I was trying to concentrate, make more corrections, check again, make final corrections, and finally to use my little Hello Kitty sticky "flags" to label the different attachments to the form.

You know what? After all that drama, checking, rechecking, etc., I STILL made a mistake! I wrote our marriage date in wrong. I didn't discover it until several days after my husband received his permanent resident card in the mail and I was filing all his paperwork. :lol: Apparently, USCIS didn't notice, either. :rofl:

September 2002 Met online

April 9, 2003 Started dating online

July 2, 2004 Met in person

July 17, 2005 Engaged one beautiful summer night in Campbell River, BC, Canada!

June 28, 2007 I-129F sent

November 29, 2007 First NOA received

December 28, 2007 Second NOA received

January 25, 2008 Interview appointment received

March 17, 2008 Interview passed!

March 18, 2008 K-1 visa received

June 5, 2008 Fiance moved to U.S.

August 9, 2008 Married!

September 8, 2008 I-485 and I-765 sent

October 10, 2008 Biometrics appointment

December 1, 2008 EAD received in mail

March 9, 2009 Green card received in mail

December 10, 2010 I-751 filed

April 3, 2011 I-751 approved, conditions lifted from green card

October 11, 2011 Filed for divorce

Timeline
HA! You'll both be married before me. This means I can mooch off you both. :ph34r: It WILL be like the K-1 experience all over again! I honestly expect you to ask all the weird questions so when Its my turn things will be easy :P

Jill- Brilliant! I will make a to do list. This way I won't be bored out of my skull waiting for my EAD/AP. Joining the gym? Good idea. Its about time I start exercising my lazy butt.

Well, hey, why not??!! If it's not broke, don't fix it, right??!! :thumbs: So... is it easy yet?? As in, what'cha got together for the interview? Worried yet? Made your 52 copies of the gazillion things you're taking with you? LOL Too funny.... :lol: Okay, at least I crack myself up. :rofl:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.