MapleLeafBaby

CONFESSION TIME....NEED ADVISE!!!

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't even read the guides or get familiar with AOS until after I arrived and married, I didn't want too much information overload!! But yes definitely read the guides, practice filling them out, etc. You don't need any proof for the AOS package except marriage cert, the proof will be needed later for the interview if you get called for an interview. Trust us all, save your $$!! Think of the nice family vacay you can take with that $$, sorry but what a rip off the lawyer is charging you!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I didn't even read the guides or get familiar with AOS until after I arrived and married, I didn't want too much information overload!! But yes definitely read the guides, practice filling them out, etc. You don't need any proof for the AOS package except marriage cert, the proof will be needed later for the interview if you get called for an interview. Trust us all, save your $$!! Think of the nice family vacay you can take with that $$, sorry but what a rip off the lawyer is charging you!

I agree with you... I haven't even really researched the AOS yet. I figure I'll have lot's of time to kill once I get there and am unemployed!

From what I've looked at so far, it seems like a piece of cake. I'll be sending mine in probably around the same time, so we'll have eachother for moral support :)

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

We did it ourselves the only thing that slowed us down was the printer, having to print out the forms for 5 of us and then double checking it all making sure we didnt miss a kid lol.

AHHH HAAA! That's funny! :)

I agree with you... I haven't even really researched the AOS yet. I figure I'll have lot's of time to kill once I get there and am unemployed!

From what I've looked at so far, it seems like a piece of cake. I'll be sending mine in probably around the same time, so we'll have eachother for moral support :)

I agree... it is a rip off...

You guys are right, I can do it!

How long is it taking to get adjusted status at this point? I think I saw that AP is taking about 3 months, and the AOS about 7 months? i'm just wondering if my medical will still be good, it's good till the one year (Feb).

My case is very straight forward... I was just worried cause of my son, didn't want to miss anything, and I really want to try and get on the AP thing, so he can start seeing his dad easily.

ok, gonna do it :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

As long as your medical is still valid when you apply for AOS you are fine. It is valid for a year. My AOS wasn't approved until 26 months after my medical although it was only 4 months old when I submitted the AOS application. No problems.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If it makes you feel any better, I chose to skip the lawyer as well, and am also a complete stress case. Needless to say I badgered people here in the Canadian forum at least daily, (sometimes a few times a day,) with annoying, paranoid questions, and people were always friendly and willing to help out! (I did the CR-1, but I've heard AOS is a breeze :)

Honestly, I'm sure you'll be fine! It's not as hard as it looks, and you'll have your VJ buddies around to back you up, so WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT WEATHER??

Shhhhh. I'm trying to get her to give it to me. :secret:

Oops, my bad. Edited out for the sake of Kriket's billfold :whistle:

OMG, now it makes me look like some kind of perv! :lol:

:lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

son??? Just sell him on the black market!! How old is he? Are you that attached to him?? lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Just apply literally right after your wedding and you get your hands on the certified marriage cert... not sure how long it will take for NJ but for PA I got it 5 days after!! Fill out all the forms beforehand, prepare everything then as soon as the cert comes send in the package.... AP will hopefully come soon! I doubt you'll get it earlier even with an infopass appt, apparently it needs to be a real emergency, which it's not in your case. And keep in mind the fees for AOS anyway, tack of a few grand of lawyer fees on top of that you'll be flat broke LOL!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

son??? Just sell him on the black market!! How old is he? Are you that attached to him?? lol

HAHAHAHA!!! I wish lol! that was funny! I love my little amigo :innocent: After I separated from my ex... it was just him and I for a while... he's my little best bud... I kinda owe it to him to take him with me lol! HAHA! I love that little ***** :lol:

Just apply literally right after your wedding and you get your hands on the certified marriage cert... not sure how long it will take for NJ but for PA I got it 5 days after!! Fill out all the forms beforehand, prepare everything then as soon as the cert comes send in the package.... AP will hopefully come soon! I doubt you'll get it earlier even with an infopass appt, apparently it needs to be a real emergency, which it's not in your case. And keep in mind the fees for AOS anyway, tack of a few grand of lawyer fees on top of that you'll be flat broke LOL!

You are right... that's what I will do... I already have a plan to take my son to Buffalo and my ex will drive over to visit for the weekend... we will just have to do this for a few visits until AOS or AP comes in.

Oh don't worry Jill, when I get there... you'll be waking up to a coffee and an email from me every morn :) My PA connection :)

Mind you, did I mention that my fiance is now off looking at homes in DE too? We are right on the boarder and his practice is already in DE.... great...no State tax... but i'll be all on my own lol!

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

Slightly off topic..but ..can i just say i love you guys /gals already?? :)

In all seriousness...visiting this site, especially the Canada forums..makes me smile and cheers me up! You all seem to be such wonderful people who offer so much advise, personal experiences etc. It's no wonder we don't want to leave this forum lol.

HWDWm6.png

Slightly off topic..but ..can i just say i love you guys /gals already?? :)

In all seriousness...visiting this site, especially the Canada forums..makes me smile and cheers me up! You all seem to be such wonderful people who offer so much advise, personal experiences etc. It's no wonder we don't want to leave this forum lol.

Yeah....they all love us :devil:

Just kidding... what am I saying... i'm new here too... you are right... I love US/Canadians lol! :star:

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: Timeline

Poprocks: Get your son a US SSN as soon as possible. It will make his life infinitely easier. Many of the public school systems request a child's SSN when enrolling them. Although not mandatory, just take the extra 5 minutes and apply for his SSN when you apply for yours.

Edited by easytarget

Timeline

I'm so proud of you! Branching out and doing the AOS on your own :lol:

Seriously, I'm sure you've figured out by now i'm a huge stress case myself! I worry about all the small details and get freaked out about simple things. But I did all the K-1 paperwork myself and found it rather simple. The paperwork part is easy, preparing for the interview and doing the medical stuff is what was hard. And there is no lawyer in the world who can do that for you! Or hold your hand while the scary doctor feels you up for breast cancer for an unnecessary amount of time!

I've been looking into AOS a little bit (because i'm paranoid) and it seriously looks very simple. There are just a couple forms you need to fill out that don't ask anything extraordinarily hard, or anything way different then what was already asked in all the forms you filled out for the K-1. You don't need to send any relationship evidence (I asked somewhere in the forum a while back...) Infact, you don't need to show anything until your interview, which you very well may not even get! The big thing is the medical form... you need to get a civil surgeon to fill out a I-693 using the vaccination record you got from the medical man in Toronto. BUT, a lot of people get away with just submitting that paper as long as everything on it is up to date. Seriously easy! You are one smart lady, you will have no problems at all. Besides, you will be unemployed and bored anyways, its not like you'll be pressed for time :P

Seriously, I'm sure you've figured out by now i'm a huge stress case myself! I worry about all the small details and get freaked out about simple things. But I did all the K-1 paperwork myself and found it rather simple. The paperwork part is easy, preparing for the interview and doing the medical stuff is what was hard. And there is no lawyer in the world who can do that for you! Or hold your hand while the scary doctor feels you up for breast cancer for an unnecessary amount of time!

I actually enjoyed that part of the medical?! :rofl:

And the funny thing is, my lawyer filed the first part and I did all the prep for interview, forms, med etc... So I guess if I could do that :blush:

I just so flustered when I think about the boarder crossing... then getting a marriage license, get married, transfer car, get license, file forms, get accounts, enroll my son into school... blah blah blah... oh yeah, and cook dinner for my new husband :whistle:

:star:

I'll tell ya, it is probably one of the biggest things I have done in my life... next to having my son :wacko:

Ahhh... in the name of love :luv:

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline

I actually enjoyed that part of the medical?! :rofl:

And the funny thing is, my lawyer filed the first part and I did all the prep for interview, forms, med etc... So I guess if I could do that :blush:

I just so flustered when I think about the boarder crossing... then getting a marriage license, get married, transfer car, get license, file forms, get accounts, enroll my son into school... blah blah blah... oh yeah, and cook dinner for my new husband :whistle:

:star:

I'll tell ya, it is probably one of the biggest things I have done in my life... next to having my son :wacko:

Ahhh... in the name of love :luv:

Ok, I will admit, that WAS the best part of the medical. Seriously, the doctor that did my physical exam was gorgeous... I just kept saying to myself "Amanda... you're heterosexual... you like men... you like men... breathe"

:rofl:

It is sooo overwhelming I know! But one thing at a time. Looking at everything now, it all looks so crazy, but if you do things one by one you will get through it all. Honestly, I prepared all the I-129F paperwork out in about 2 hours... Imagine all the money you could have saved by being stressed out and confused for about 2 hours. This process is the biggest thing i've ever done... but easy for me to say, I've never had a baby or been married or... well done anything really. Maybe university? But eh, that wasn't hard :P

I can't believe I'M talking someone down. ME. I guess I should practice what I preach!

Edited by Hugglebuggles

I must have happened upon a good lawyer. He told me that if I had no special conditions (I didn't) and I was pretty good at filling out forms (I am), there was no reason to pay him $1500 to fill out forms. You need a lawyer when your case is not "normal". Sorry, I don't have any examples or experience there. And even a lawyer knows that he will get in trouble if he tries to mess you over...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.