junyeon82

K-1 about to expire yet no social security. Help!

40 posts in this topic

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had the same problem..i applied for my social secury number then after 6 weeks i didnt receive my number..so i went back to their office then they again told me i need to wait for 2 to 3 weeks because they had error in it..instead of K-1 they put in their system V-1 as my status..and V-1 is not allowed to have ssn until i applied for EAD..so we went to another state to get married...now i am on my 2nd week again..i dont know why we need to wait 2 to 3 weeks for them to retreive their system...

Hi,

My fiancee applied for her social security card after 14 days upon her arrival in US.

After a month, we didn't get the card so we checked back with the SSA and they said it might take up to another 2-3 weeks because of their error.

I'm getting worried because her visa is about to expire and we can't get married because we don't have marriage license.

Is there a way for USCIS to extend her K-1 Visa? I mean we're trying to get married but we just can't!

You don't need a social security no. to marry. Try Las Vegas Wedding, no requirements needed except your fee, bride & groom. (lol) My friend just had a wedding there last Feb this year and she is on a tourist visa. Now, she's in a process of adjusting her status. Anyway, I got my social security almost a month from the day I applied and got green card in 3 weeks from date of arrival.

Filed: Other Timeline
Jackson County, Mo County Clerk

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

1) Both parties must appear together at the Record of Deeds office.

2) Both must be at least 18 years old to marry without parental consent. CLICK HERE for application requirements for those wishing to marry after their 15th birthday but prior to turning 18 -- as well as legal guidelines for marriages of individuals under 15 years old

3) Both must provide their Social Security numbers.

4) Both must have proper documentation.

I just spoke to the recorder of deeds (in Jackson County Mo.) and asked her if it was required. She said no - all your fiancé will need to do is sign a document/form stating she does not have one (a SSN). (She will need her passport though.)

(816) 881-1577

Question asked:

"My fiancé is from out of the country - does she need a social security number/card to get a marriage license?"

:thumbs:

(This is why I asked if you spoke to a person or read it on the web site - many states list SSN as a requirement, but have the same/similar rules for folks who don't have one)

That's exactly right and this is the best example of why one should go straight to the horse's mouth (like Bobby says - the Clerk's office) for best information.

Within about two hours of us is a popular honeymoon spot - Ohio Amish Country. My husband and I considered marrying there. Holmes County information purported that applicants for a marriage license required Social Security numbers, but upon ringing them up I was told this requirement is often waived (many of the local Amish don't have Social Security numbers).

Always ring them or drop by in person if possible. It's far better than going by 'vanilla' info published on county websites.

Hi,

My fiancee applied for her social security card after 14 days upon her arrival in US.

After a month, we didn't get the card so we checked back with the SSA and they said it might take up to another 2-3 weeks because of their error.

I'm getting worried because her visa is about to expire and we can't get married because we don't have marriage license.

Is there a way for USCIS to extend her K-1 Visa? I mean we're trying to get married but we just can't!

Go to Las Vegas and get married.

REALESTATE BROKER & MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

12fa14f592.png

so why can't you get married and do the AOS then at this point apply for EAD, AP, and SSA?

In Missouri, we need social security # to get a marriage license.

Soooooo go tooooooo K.C. and get married or any other state?

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Always ring them or drop by in person if possible. It's far better than going by 'vanilla' info published on county websites.
This is absolutely the thing to do. Ironically, when our turn came, I phoned, and I was not told that I needed my SSN (or proof thereof) in order to receive a marriage license! Learning that reality upon showing up in person, I blew home, destroyed the inside of a drawer while fruitlessly looking for my SS card, and found only some U.S. savings bonds with my SSN on them. I took one back to the office; the clerk scratched her head, made a call to a supervisor, and said "OK!" That was the first and perhaps the last time that a savings bond will be submitted there for proof of a SSN, si man.

We married on Hallowe'en and had our celebratory party on Pearl Harbor Day, so who knows what that bodes for the marriage? At least we'll have our pick of good restaurants every Oct. 31, si man. :)

Returning to being serious: Under any circumstances, do NOT (do NOT! do NOT!) let that 90-day requirement slip by before marrying! Do whatever it takes (Las Vegas, or whatever) to comply with it. And, to be precise: It's the I-94 that expires in 90 days. The K-1 visa is "dead on arrival" at POE.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hi,

this may be a silly question but did you inform them that your fiance/e is a foreign national? that would preclude her from being able to have a SS#

June 2006 Met on Myspace
Sep 21 2007 Proposed and she accepted
Dec 9 2007 Arrived in Manila
Dec 15 2007 Returned home, very sad day
Dec 21 2007 Sent Form I-129F to CSC
Dec 24 2007 Packet received at CSC
Dec 31 2007 NOA 1 received
Jan 02 2008 Check cashed
May 05 2008 NOA2
May 12 2008 Received letter from NVC MNL2008xxxxxx
May 19 2008 Paid Delbros fee at Metrobank
May 20 2008 First day of medical
May 21 2008 Told to return for sputum test
May 21 2008 Delbros confirmed receiving payment
May 27 2008 Delbros sent proof of payment to USEM
May 27,28,29 2008 Sputum test done
June 6 2008 Delbros sent doc ver request to the NSO
June 27 2008 NSO doc ver completed, to be picked up by USEM
July 1, 2008 Called USEM, doc ver is at the embassy
July 30, 2008 Passed the sputum test and finished the physical
Aug 5, 2008 Interview, PASSED received PINK SLIP
Aug 12 2008 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you God
Aug 16,2008 Flight to US. Manila to Narita, to Chicago
Sept 8, 2008 Civil wedding
Feb 14, 2009 Big fancy wedding
groupresized.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My county in Colorado had a similar requirement for a Social Security number. They had a form to fill out to waive the social security number requirement. Suggest you inquire if they have the same document.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
so why can't you get married and do the AOS then at this point apply for EAD, AP, and SSA?

In Missouri, we need social security # to get a marriage license.

:unsure:

Go to Tennessee and get married or Las Vegas, many options that do not require SS Number.

Jackson County, Mo County Clerk

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

1) Both parties must appear together at the Record of Deeds office.

2) Both must be at least 18 years old to marry without parental consent. CLICK HERE for application requirements for those wishing to marry after their 15th birthday but prior to turning 18 -- as well as legal guidelines for marriages of individuals under 15 years old

3) Both must provide their Social Security numbers.

4) Both must have proper documentation.

I just spoke to the recorder of deeds (in Jackson County Mo.) and asked her if it was required. She said no - all your fiancé will need to do is sign a document/form stating she does not have one (a SSN). (She will need her passport though.)

(816) 881-1577

Question asked:

"My fiancé is from out of the country - does she need a social security number/card to get a marriage license?"

:thumbs:

(This is why I asked if you spoke to a person or read it on the web site - many states list SSN as a requirement, but have the same/similar rules for folks who don't have one)

:thumbs: Good detective work...

It is the same in Nebraska.. no SSN necessary, just proof of ID (although the website makes it look differently).

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
This is absolutely the thing to do. Ironically, when our turn came, I phoned, and I was not told that I needed my SSN (or proof thereof) in order to receive a marriage license! Learning that reality upon showing up in person, I blew home, destroyed the inside of a drawer while fruitlessly looking for my SS card, and found only some U.S. savings bonds with my SSN on them. I took one back to the office; the clerk scratched her head, made a call to a supervisor, and said "OK!" That was the first and perhaps the last time that a savings bond will be submitted there for proof of a SSN, si man.

We married on Hallowe'en and had our celebratory party on Pearl Harbor Day, so who knows what that bodes for the marriage? At least we'll have our pick of good restaurants every Oct. 31, si man. :)

Returning to being serious: Under any circumstances, do NOT (do NOT! do NOT!) let that 90-day requirement slip by before marrying! Do whatever it takes (Las Vegas, or whatever) to comply with it. And, to be precise: It's the I-94 that expires in 90 days. The K-1 visa is "dead on arrival" at POE.

We got caught with that, too. We were told on the phone that he'd need a social security number, so we went and applied. It didn't take too long, so we went to get the marriage license. THEN they told us "oh no, he doesn't need a SSN, but YOU need your actual SS# card". Sigh. Back to the social security office, then a wait for my actual card.... and I needed to apply soon after for one in my new name. It's ok, though - we got everything done in plenty of time.

That's a shame you've had to worry and wait. Best of luck getting everything done on time!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

This has already been addressed and the OP has his answer. ;)

Although the website states that a ss# is required, the requirement can sometimes be waived if the person is here with legal status.

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.