bebop + rocksteady

Check over my checklist?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone! I made a document compiling all the tips and ideas and such from this site and others trying to make myself a checklist, and I thought some of your might be willing to read over it it and tell me if there is anything huge I'm missing or if there are any tips you have? I made it pretty strict, there are definitely a lot of optional extra steps, but I figured I'd err on the side of more information/security rather than less.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Cass's Grand Ole K1 Petition Checklist

- BOTH parties get passports

• Travel to Canada/Mexico will require a passport in a few months anyways, go ahead and get one first off. It'll make the process much easier. It takes a while, so start the process early if you don't already have them.

- Include Payment

• Correct Fee: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

• Personal Check: allows you to see when cashed + check process before getting NOA1

• SIGN THE CHECK!!!!

• Do not postdate check

• Made out to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security"

- Updated forms?

• Check to see most recent version of forms: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

- Cover letter

• Do it last so you can create a table of contents of all items in the packet, be specific

- Passport or Birth Certificate of BOTH parties

• Passport: copy all pages, even the blank ones!

• Birth certificate: make sure it's the LONG version (includes parents information and official stamp)

• Not required of both parties, but helps to avoid confusion later

- Passport Photos

• Include photos for BOTH parties (the forms say one per person, but most include two, just to be safe)

• Make sure they are taken within 30 days of submitting the petition

• Include passport photos in clear plastic bag and label with full name of each party. DO NOT USE GLASSINE OR OTHERWISE OPAQUE BAGS.

- Question 18 of I-129F From - Proof of Meeting

• Write letter explaining meeting (WRITTEN AND SIGNED BY THE USC) + include proof of meeting (just saying the date, place is not enough!)

• Primary proof: Exit/entry visa stamps, airline ticket boarding passes, hotel receipts, ATM withdrawals in the subject country/city, apartment leases in both names, utility bills, etc. (for those that have lived together) are irrefutable as primary evidence.

• Secondary proof: Photos, bus tickets, engagement ring receipts, affidavits from family/friends may be used to supplement weak primary evidence if the primary evidence can not stand alone on its own merits.

- Photos: Make sure they are photo-prints (don't just print them off your computer), list names, location and date on the back of every photo with felt-tipped marker. Place photos in same plastic bag treatment as passport photos OR in a photo sleeve/sheet. Try not to leave them floating around in the packet.

• Make sure everything is dated, they need to know it has been in the 2 years prior to the application.

- Include Letter stating intent to marry from BOTH parties

• Mention the intent is within 90 days of alien entering US on K-1

• Don't need to have it notarized, but couldn't hurt.

• Show proof of intent (engagement ring receipt, conversations discussing engagement, wedding plans)

– Original signatures should stay that way

• No faxes/photocopies of original signatures, if you need more than one copy, have the person sign more than one copy.

– Sign and date all supplements

• Label all supplemental pages with your name, form relating to, and question number

- Example: John William Doe: SUPPLEMENT I-129F: Q18, Explanation of Meeting

• Print off a supplemental page for every page of the G-325A form (if using a supplement)

- Leave no gaps in time periods on G-325A

• If you need more space, make a supplement (see above)

• In the last 5 years means exactly that, leave no gaps, if you were unemployed write so. If you lived at the same address more than once (say moving home for the summers during college) write each entry where it falls chronologically

- Example:

October 2005 to Present

December 2004 to October 2005

March 2004 to December 2004

June 2003 to March 2004

and so on...

• If employment overlaps (two+ jobs at the same time) write so. Just make sure not to leave any empty times. Include a supplement explaining that you held two+ jobs (part-time, full-time, etc).

- Full company names and addresses on Employment section of G-325A

• If you can't fit it all in, use a supplement.

- Try to NEVER use "N/A" as an answer

• Most of the times "None" will suffice, if not, think of an answer other than "N/A" such as "NO PRIOR SPOUSES". It's always better to be completely specific and concrete than to use something wishy-washy like "N/A"

- Make TWO copies of the entire packet before you send it

• You send the packet. You keep one. You give one to your fiance for the interview + all the originals for the interview. This includes the check.

- TRIPLE check everything

• It's a lot of information. You are bound to forget or misspell something. Check it three times, and then, have your fiance check it three more times.

• If possible, have a close family member or friend check over it who will know most of the information.

- Send it certified mail

• That way, you know when the Service Center receives it. No worrying about it floating in Postal Service limbo.

- Mark the outer envelope with the nature of submission

• Example: ORIGINAL SUBMISSION: I-129F PETITION FOR FIANCE

- Make sure you are sending it to the right address

- Assembly tips

a. Do not use binders or folders that cannot be easily disassembled.

b. Use ACCO fasteners to hold together thick or bulky applications or petitions. Two-hole punching the top of the material for easy placement in the file is appreciated.

c. The use of tabs assist in locating items listed as attachments. The tabs should be placed on the bottom and not the side for ease in filing.

d. Avoid using heavy-duty staples; instead use ACCO fasteners or heavy clips.

e. Avoid submitting originals unless specifically required (Forms I-94, Labor certifications, etc). Avoid submitting oversized documentation when possible.

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Looks pretty good!!!!

There are a few optional steps that aren't really necessary, but everyone can decide for themselves if they want to follow the advice.

I'm as organized as can possibly be.... and I think I've met my match!!!!!

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hah! My fiance keep saying, "Is there anything I can do? Is there anything I can do?" And I say, "Just fill our your forms and worry about getting past your interview." And he replies, "Good, becuase I'm not nearly ####### enough to pull this off. I'm so lucky to have you."

I'm a sucker for filling out forms. *snort*

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Haha I had the same with my Fiance.. I had everything together except for the things I couldn't prepare.. When I got to Taiwan I had a schedule we went and got our photos done filled out everything signed and dated it.. And this was all the first day I got there.. I had her check with me every day that everything was in order.. then came home went and visited my parents and had them check it (crosses fingers) Hope I didn't forget something :)

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Looks good, except for the None and N/A part..they tell you to use either one, I'm not sure if "No prior spouses" is acceptable. I guess this issue is debatable, so go with your gut feeling :)

And hey, I think our Fiances are pretty lucky to have such ####### women taking care of all this, while they just sit and wait :)

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

Looks good, except for the None and N/A part..they tell you to use either one, I'm not sure if "No prior spouses" is acceptable. I guess this issue is debatable, so go with your gut feeling :)

And hey, I think our Fiances are pretty lucky to have such ####### women taking care of all this, while they just sit and wait :)

Most questions on the forms will be applicable so if one answers eg 'No prior spouses' they have answered the question. It would be just as acceptable as answering 'None'

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.