chochamu

Proof of marraige

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

ok for starters THANK YOU to everyone on this forum it has been a great help and starting point.

My wife (Petitioner) and i have been married for 5 years is extensive proof of marriage still that necessary?

i was thinking about just sending bank statements showing our joint account status and also papers from our insurers from work showing each other as our beneficiaries. Not sure if pictures from our wedding will help as it was 5 years ago nor affidavits for that matter.

What did some of you send that were for DCF more specifically here in Canada, anyone do a DCF after being married for a long period of time.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
ok for starters THANK YOU to everyone on this forum it has been a great help and starting point.

My wife (Petitioner) and i have been married for 5 years is extensive proof of marriage still that necessary?

i was thinking about just sending bank statements showing our joint account status and also papers from our insurers from work showing each other as our beneficiaries. Not sure if pictures from our wedding will help as it was 5 years ago nor affidavits for that matter.

What did some of you send that were for DCF more specifically here in Canada, anyone do a DCF after being married for a long period of time.

First of all, WELCOME TO VJ! Secondly, can you please fill in your timeline at least for what country and visa you are filing for as it makes it a lot easier for us to answer your questions if you do that! :)

It doesn't matter if you have been married for 1 year or 50 years, you still have to show proof of marriage. If you have been married for 5 years, this shouldn't be a problem at all! Sending bank statements and insurers with you listed as beneficiaries are both good evidence as well as any bills that you might have in both of your names. Or if you have different bills in different names then show them both showing that you live at the same address. Also if you have some sort of rental agreement or house together, this is good too. It never hurts to show pictures of the wedding or of the two of you throughout your 5 years, but this is not primary evidence...but still good! And affidavits are always a good idea from people that know both of you and in your case, from those that might have known you throughout the whole marriage or were even at the wedding!

As a side note, if you have been living in Canada throughout this time be aware that you have to show domicial in the US, so just keep that in mind and start thinking about what you have to prove that.

Hopefully some canadians can chime in here and give you more specific advice!

Good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I do not know exact requirement for DCF Canada but here are some examples for Proof of Relationship:

For spouses of U. S. Citizens (IR-1, CR-1, and K-3 Visas), spouses of Legal Permanent Residents-

Primary: marriage registrations issued by a recognized governing authority at the time of the marriage. Proof of the termination of any previous marriage must also be submitted (e.g. death certificate of spouse, final decree of divorce or annulment).

Secondary: Wedding invitations, church certificates, wedding photographs or other reliable documents that show the required relationship. For proof of an ongoing relationship, please submit such evidence as cards, letters, emails, photographs, phone records and other evidence that your relationship is continual.

*IR-1 Visa* VSC

I-130 (IR-1):

07/22/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-130 NOA2: Approved in 210 days from NOA1 date

I-129F (K-3):

08/11/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-129F NOA2: Approved in 190 days from NOA1 date

<not pursuing I-129F petition further but NVC forwarded case to Consulate on 02/24/2009>

NVC Journey:

02/19/2009: NVC Received/Case number assigned for I-130

02/20/2009: DS-3032 sent by e-mail and 03/04/2009: DS-3032 sent by regular mail

02/26/2009: NVC received DS-3032 Choice of Agent selection

02/26/2009: DS-3032 accepted and AOS Bill Generated but not IV Bill

02/28/2009: AOS Bill Package received in mail

02/28/2009: Paid AOS Bill and IV Bill (as it was available) online

03/03/2009: Both AOS and IV Bill Show as Paid and Coversheet Printed

03/04/2009: Mailed I-864 and IV (DS-230) Packages

03/06/2009: I-864 and IV Packages Received by NVC and Scanned on 03/10/2009

03/13/2009: Case completed at NVC (in 17 working days from date NVC Received)

03/25/2009: Interview date assigned by NVC

US Consulate @ Mumbai, India

04/02/2009: Medical Exam (based on NVC e-mail for interview)

04/13/2009: Interview Packet Received from US Consulate

04/16/2009: Documents submitted at VFS office

[Classified]: Date of Interview

USA Journey

02/21/2009: Permanent Resident # Received (Ref: NOA2 of USCIS)

05/2009: POE

##/##/2009: Permanent Resident Card

##/##/2009: SSN

Love must be sincere............Roman 12:9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We did DCF in Ireland after being married almost 4 years. At the initial stage, we only sent our marriage cert. For the interview, I brought 10 photos from before we got married, the wedding and a few from afterwards, as well as joint bank statements, bills, a few greeting cards addressed to both of us, and the twin's birth certs. Of course, they didn't even look atany of that :)

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

When we DCF'd through London, we only enclosed our marriage certificate with the initial I-130 filing. We got an RFE for more proof, including a timeline of when we met, got engaged and married, proof of co-habitation etc. I'm pretty sure this was because we had married very shortly (like 2 weeks) after my divorce was finalised, even though I had been living apart from my former husband for almost 2 years at that point. Putting in a few things from the list Penguin cites above couldn't hurt, but make sure you send copies if you don't want to lose the original.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

We were married for over a year when we did DCF in Australia and the only proof we were required to show was our marriage certificate

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.