mrsjohnsonscat

Soon to be ex-immigrant wife and i have a conversation

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

That was an interesting point and insightful point. I did a quick look online and found a slightly older version (Rev 2004) of the I-134 than is in use today and it actually has a limit of 3 years, If I'm reading it correctly. I can't imagine the original document from 20 years ago having more regulations, than the one that I found.

Unfortunately, I don't have many documents from 20 years ago. Truth be told, if I'm still responsible, I'm still responsible; that's what I signed on for; but I would be lying if I would prefer that I wasn't.

For those interested here it is.Old I-134

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Missed Edit:

I think with all the information provided here, the fact the she is receiving services, the verbiage of the older I-134; it's a fair bet that I no longer am...but we'll see.

Thanks, everyone.

Ciao.

Filed: Timeline

Sounds to me as if the I-864 does not apply in mrsjohnsoncat's case. The former alien was petitioned prior to the existence of the more binding Affidavit.

For any others that find themselves in this predicament, after executing the I-864, however, as long as the alien is still married to the US citizen spouse, the US citizen spouse's work can accrue quarters on behalf of the alien. So if you worked and earned the SSA minimum standard per quarter for 10 years (making deposits to Soc Sec from your paycheck, there is a minimum earnings requirement that may change from time to time), it doesn't matter if the alien never worked. it will be credited.

CAVEAT: In the case of an alien and USC that is headed for divorce, all quarters credited by the US spouse are lost upon divorce, so if you believe that I-864 has been satisfied using these credits contact SSA and ask for a determination BEFORE divorcing.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

edit: removed my comment, forgot to see there were more pages :blush:

Edited by JeroenAndMichelle

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

About Social Security Credits :

A "Social Security credit" (sometimes referred to as a "Quarter of coverage") is the measure of a person's work under the Social Security program.

We use a person's total covered yearly earnings to figure Social Security credits for both wages and net earnings from self-employment. The amount needed for a credit increases automatically each year that average wages increase. For 2009, workers generally receive one credit for each $1,090 of earnings. For 2008, the amount of earnings for one credit was $1050. A worker can receive a maximum of four credits for any year.

Before Social Security credits can be earned for any year, a self-employed person usually has to have net earnings of at least $400. However, a person with actual net earnings from self-employment of less than $400 may still receive credits for years in which he or she uses the "optional method" of reporting earnings.

For the amount required for Social Security credits for prior years, see Quarter of Coverage.

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Sounds to me as if the I-864 does not apply in mrsjohnsoncat's case. The former alien was petitioned prior to the existence of the more binding Affidavit.

For any others that find themselves in this predicament, after executing the I-864, however, as long as the alien is still married to the US citizen spouse, the US citizen spouse's work can accrue quarters on behalf of the alien. So if you worked and earned the SSA minimum standard per quarter for 10 years (making deposits to Soc Sec from your paycheck, there is a minimum earnings requirement that may change from time to time), it doesn't matter if the alien never worked. it will be credited.

CAVEAT: In the case of an alien and USC that is headed for divorce, all quarters credited by the US spouse are lost upon divorce, so if you believe that I-864 has been satisfied using these credits contact SSA and ask for a determination BEFORE divorcing.

You have to be really careful with thinking your USC work can count toward the alien.

There is a post here where the USC checked with SSA and they told him that the credits earned (that could be used to count for the alien's work experience) only count when the USC dies...

(of course that kills the 864 anyway - but I guess the government can use those credits on the alien to determine benifits (tested means))

So - confirm each paticular case with SSA before doing something :thumbs:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.