brendon1101rebz

i'm with my love here in US. but we're still lost!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi everyone!

i arrived here in Califiornia a week ago.. we already have plans of getting married, and April 20 is our date.

i have some questions and i hope you can guide me and my fiance about these:

1. when should i apply for my social security number? can i apply it now? or apply after the wedding since i'll be changing my family name soon?

2. when can i apply for California ID and drivers license?

3. before the wedding, do we have other things to settle like medical check ups? (there are rumors that they'll ask the couples to have blood test and check Rhogam Blood Factor) is that true? if not, any other more things and paper works to do before the wedding?

4. after the wedding, what's the next step? what should we prepare for the adjustment of status?

guys, i really need your help! i hope someone can guide us in this next journey..

thanks!

R&B

miKK-10b.gif

Read the Guide for Adjustment of status, it's listed on the top bar right after PORTALS< Then GUIDES>>>>

hi everyone!

i arrived here in Califiornia a week ago.. we already have plans of getting married, and April 20 is our date.

1. when should i apply for my social security number? can i apply it now? or apply after the wedding since i'll be changing my family name soon?

If you have your temp EAD from JFK you can apply for the social right away, or after AOS then you can change it

After you get the EAD

3. before the wedding, do we have other things to settle like medical check ups? (there are rumors that they'll ask the couples to have blood test and check Rhogam Blood Factor) is that true? if not, any other more things and paper works to do before the wedding?

I don't know what states you are in but these things are not required to get married in most states at least.

4. after the wedding, what's the next step? what should we prepare for the adjustment of status?

Read adjustment of Status guide

I485, Advance Parole and so on. Try to start assemble and keep lot of documents showing Joint account, marital stufff as a couple, those t hings are mostly requirement for the AOS interview at time some folks get the 2 year green card without interview.

guys, i really need your help! i hope someone can guide us in this next journey..

thanks!

R&B

Gone but not Forgotten!

Wait two weeks for your name as shown on your I-94 to get added to the database that SS will look you up on. If they don't find your name, then leave and don't have them put in a request. Go back in a week. A request can be a delay. Ideally they will find your name exactly as written on your I-94, so use that name to apply. If they find your name, then they can issue your card and it will arrive in maybe two weeks. You can go back later and get your name changed after you get work authorization. The number stays the same and is more useful that worrying what name is on your first card. You might want to print the section C of this document with the chart showing K1s are work authorized and can get a SSN as some local offices aren't informed that K1s are allowed. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/links/0100203500#c1 No, it doesn't mean you can work before getting an EAD, but that chart shows you can get SSN.

That depends on the rules of marriage set by the State of California. You should not go by rumors, but call up your county courthouse and ask to speak to the office that can help you with a marriage license. Tell them your situation and ask what will be required of you being a USC and an immigrant. I say mention your foreign status because they will often say you need a SSN, but if you don't have one then they often say passport is enough. When you go for the license, ask the office the quickest way to get a certified copy of your marriage certofocate after the wedding. It may be that you can go in the day after the wedding and get it registered while you wait. You need a certified copy of marriage certificate to send in with AOS.

Read the VJ guides.

thanks!

R&B

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I wish you and your SO the best :)

To Blessed to be stressed:) I realize that all things have a purpose and a time.....have faith and the Lord Almighty will provide... when the time is right, he NEVER fails!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Get your social number before applying for marriage,because after marriage your k1 expires and they wont issue you one.In my case we did not know that and i have to wait for work permit to be allowed to drive.so get it as soon as you can and first thing after that on your list should be learning driving!Thats the most important part in USA!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.