HappyHardcore

Sending money to the Philippines

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm having trouble finding a decent way to send money to the Philippines. I've tried a few different ways already.

1. My first attempt years ago was Western Union, way too expensive.
  2. Then I been using Lucky Money until one day they decided to stop using my checking account, or it was my Citizens Bank that started to refuse, so I had to start using a credit card, which gets me the cash advance fee, again too expensive.
  3. Finally I went to my 2nd bank at Wells Fargo and set up an international remittance account to send money to Bank of Philippine Islands (BPI). They were retards at the bank, and didn't realize how it's done. They thought it could be done where I log into my account from the bank website. Didn't work, so then they called up customer server and realized the first transaction needs to be done at the bank. Ok, did that, but then still problems later. Finally found out need to go into the bank every time, or make a phone call to customer service every time I want to transfer money. Big hassle. Then later, for no reason, I notice my remittance account is closed. Maybe cause I wasn't using it enough? I don't know.

Going thru a local branch here seemed to be the most secure and cheapest way, but had way too much hassle and sometimes didn't work. Going thru websites was easier, but more expensive.

Limits:

Lucky Money: $1k/month

Xoom: $3k/month

Wells Fargo: $3k/day

So now I'm trying Xoom and having problems.

1. I tried Citizens bank first, with routing number and account number off my checks, but transaction canceled with no reason. So I contact them and they need to verify my ID with copy of this and that. So ok, I did that, verified my ID, but transactions still canceled. I call up Xoom again asking what the problem is and they said I need to tell my bank to authorize the withdraw. So I call up my bank customer service, and they said go into a local branch to sign authorization. So I go to a local branch, and they are unaware of any papers to sign for authorization. I explained how the websites worked, with routing/account number, etc etc, but my bank insisted that pre-auth is not required if I have the routing and account number. So I asked if there is daily limits? They said no.
  2. Went back home and tried my 2nd bank Wells Fargo using checking account routing/account numbers, same problem, withdraw/transfers being rejected.
  3. Tried to use Paypal, which is linked to my Citizens Bank and been using that paypal for years now with random ebay shopping. I didn't want to go this route cause its $40-60 fee to send when funds come thru Credit Card or Paypal when transfering from Xoom. But now even Paypal is is flipping out saying that Im spending too much.

I hear the post office can offer services, but only up to $2k/day and anything over $1k for single transaction needs paperwork to fill out. I'm not interested in filling out paperwork.

I am trying to send a large ($1-3k) at a time. About to start building a house over there for about $10k which might take 3-4 months to build. I assume all this paperwork stuff is ways for the government to find more ways to tax me or something, dunno. Banks and websites getting real paranoid with large amounts of cash. Just same, its not like I'm trying to transfer $100k or anything.

Yes, I have more than enough funds in my accounts. My credit cards are used each month, and paid in full, with zero balance again. My credit scores are around 815. What is the problem with using my own cash? Its not like I'm applying for a loan, or lower interest rate. Its cash!

I remember long time ago hearing about some bank that has an ATM card that can be used around the world with little or no fee for withdraw. Is that possible? What bank would let me to create an account over here, then maybe FedEx the ATM card to my Filipina so she can withdraw the amount I put in?

Are there any other websites that are easy and inexpensive? I'm tired of jumping hoops and paying big fees just for trying to send money. Worse case senario is send more money thru Lucky Money using my credit card and paying the big cash advance fee again, just to get by until I figure this out.

Who else sends money to the Philippines? (I bet everyone that is petitioning a Filipina) Whats the best way to send/rec money?

Sorry for the long read. Hope some others can relate and advise to what I'm going thru here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used PLS Check Cashing places that had Western Union

Charge was $12 per transaction...

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I remember long time ago hearing about some bank that has an ATM card that can be used around the world with little or no fee for withdraw. Is that possible? What bank would let me to create an account over here, then maybe FedEx the ATM card to my Filipina so she can withdraw the amount I put in?

Sorry I can't answer your other questions, but I do know what bank you are talking about. It's HSBC. I lived in London for about 3 years and they are everywhere there -and everywhere here in Brazil as well.

I had a bit of trouble finding an HSBC branch in the US, but I think that must have just been my city as I have heard they are quite common in the US as well. Anyway, my HSBC account in London cost me 13 pounds a month (a little less than $30) and I had a credit card and a debit card. With my accont I could withdraw up to 500 pounds a day (about $1000) from any ATM anywhere in the ENTIRE world! :) WITH NO FEE!

You have to call customer service of course and tell them what countries you would be taking money out in, otherwise they will cancel your card (like most banks) until you assure them it is you taking out the money! Also, they do not guarentee that the card will work anywhere in the world! They say that it will most likely work in other countries, but they can't gaurentee it (that's just something you'll have to talk to them about!). From experience, I have never had my HSBC card not work. I've used it in London, USA, Italy and Brazil (not just from other HSBC ATMs either. I used the card at lots of different banks all over Italy and the USA and it worked every time).

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Edited by Marina-Del

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm using iKobo to send Alla money in Russia. Works like a champ and fees seem decent.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I used XOOM and have no problem with it. www.xoom.com.ph is the site not the www.xoom.com. You have an options to send it at any designated areas like BDO, Cebuana. Sometimes it can cause problem once you send it thru bank to bank so it will asked someone's account.

------------------------

Adjustment of Status ( I-485) and Advance Parole

Jan.6,2010- Mailed to South Dearborn Chicago via Fedex overnight delivery

Jan.7,2010- AOS packet received signed by Chyba

Jan.10,2010- Notice receipt from USCIS

Jan.13,2010- check has been cashed

Jan.14,2010- NOA1 received (hard copy)

Jan.23,2010- Biometrics Appt.received in the mail dated Jan.14,2010

Feb. 1, 2010- Biometrics appointment at 8a.m.

Feb.9,2010 - touched

March 2,2010- AP approved

March 9,2010- Hard copy received

March 12, 2010- I-485 receipt notice for interview

March 18,2010- received letter for initial interview

April 19, 2010- 8 :15 A.M INTERVIEW DATE ( APPROVED 5min.Interview)

APRIL 20, 2010- USCIS website updated card production ordered

url=http://www.weddingcountdown.com]

79bur3yi21.png

[/url]

----------------------------

We met online became good friends , fell in love and got married..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You better open an account like ATM (visa) under your name in USA then give it to your fiancee in the Philippines. I did it too to send money to my wife so I dont need to pay anything to deposit some money.

------------------------

Adjustment of Status ( I-485) and Advance Parole

Jan.6,2010- Mailed to South Dearborn Chicago via Fedex overnight delivery

Jan.7,2010- AOS packet received signed by Chyba

Jan.10,2010- Notice receipt from USCIS

Jan.13,2010- check has been cashed

Jan.14,2010- NOA1 received (hard copy)

Jan.23,2010- Biometrics Appt.received in the mail dated Jan.14,2010

Feb. 1, 2010- Biometrics appointment at 8a.m.

Feb.9,2010 - touched

March 2,2010- AP approved

March 9,2010- Hard copy received

March 12, 2010- I-485 receipt notice for interview

March 18,2010- received letter for initial interview

April 19, 2010- 8 :15 A.M INTERVIEW DATE ( APPROVED 5min.Interview)

APRIL 20, 2010- USCIS website updated card production ordered

url=http://www.weddingcountdown.com]

79bur3yi21.png

[/url]

----------------------------

We met online became good friends , fell in love and got married..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

"I am trying to send a large ($1-3k) at a time. About to start building a house over there for about $10k which might take 3-4 months to build. I assume all this paperwork stuff is ways for the government to find more ways to tax me or something, dunno. Banks and websites getting real paranoid with large amounts of cash. Just same, its not like I'm trying to transfer $100k or anything."

U filed for K-1?

Just for some advice. Do u plan to live in Philippine? or ur building house for ur gf / her parents?

If u have plan to build the house there, ITS BETTER FOR U tO BE THERE IN PERSON TO SEE and Check MAke Sure

It's being Built.

JUST think abt ith Before u just trying to send money.

if u must , u should bring bring the TRAVELLER"S CHEQUE to philippine in person.

That way u it could get there once and u know the plan, and could talk to the ppl who will build the house.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

i use xoom to send money to my fiance to the philippines. i have a limit of $3k a month..but i dont send that much just $100 or $200 a month. when i do send it, i dont use my checking account with my routing number, becuz it takes 4 days to clear, so i use my debit card with a service $8 so it will be der in his account which he uses BDO in 24 hours. but of course the fee is not the same it all the depends how much u send pesos or dollar account..to me i rather use this service cuz of the convienence. i go online to do this rather have to drive to a remittance bank to send money. i did use wells fargo bank to send but dey only have BPI no charge, but when my fiance goes to pick up the money at that bank dey charge him a fee more than my service fee..so i stop using it. hope this helps..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
"I am trying to send a large ($1-3k) at a time. About to start building a house over there for about $10k which might take 3-4 months to build. I assume all this paperwork stuff is ways for the government to find more ways to tax me or something, dunno. Banks and websites getting real paranoid with large amounts of cash. Just same, its not like I'm trying to transfer $100k or anything."

U filed for K-1?

Just for some advice. Do u plan to live in Philippine? or ur building house for ur gf / her parents?

If u have plan to build the house there, ITS BETTER FOR U tO BE THERE IN PERSON TO SEE and Check MAke Sure

It's being Built.

JUST think abt ith Before u just trying to send money.

if u must , u should bring bring the TRAVELLER"S CHEQUE to philippine in person.

That way u it could get there once and u know the plan, and could talk to the ppl who will build the house.

Thanks for your concern, and I absolutely understand your point of view, with the lack of information about my situation.

I filed for K1 over 3 years ago... long story.

Plans changed, and we decided to have a family in the Philippines instead. I helped her to start a small store already, but she still lives at her parents. I've visited several times already, for a month at a time each. We even tried to make a baby on my last visit, but didn't succeed, yet. We talk on the phone 5 hours a night. She emails me 10x per day. And we have video chats on the weekend. Her family, friends, and neighbors all vouch for her. I have no bad feelings in this relationship.

Usually $200/month has been enough in supporting her, which she also extends that to help feed her parents, etc. But now we're looking at building a house. Even Xoom's limit of $3k/month would be enough considering the $10k house would take 3-4 months to build anyways. I know every time I visit her, I can legally carry up to $10k cash on me, but I usually only bring $2k cash each time.

I appreciate your concern. I feel very confident in this relationship. Just trying to find a good way to send money, consistantly and cheaply, and also for the short term in large amount for a house.

I looked at ikobo, but it appears they have $1k limit, withdraw fees in addition to my deposit/send fee. Its almost what I'm looking for, and might even be a last resort.

I'll have to talk to Xoom to find out exactly why the money is refusing to come out of my checking account. My bank swears there are no limits or auth required. Maybe Xoom is comparing against some old confirmed mailing address from one of the three credit bureaus or something stupid like that.

I'm still open to some good suggestions here. Lucky money has worked for about 3 years already until I was forced to switch to using credit card (once again, problem with checking, maybe its routing or something), and credit cards get dinged for cash advance. And the $1k/month at Lucky Money isn't enough to build a house within this year.

I plan to visit again asap when the house is complete.

Here is how my fiancée and I worked it:

> I opened a joint account at Wells Fargo Bank (an account under both of our names).

> I sent my fiancée a debit card for the joint account, so she could withdraw cash from any ATM in the Philippines.

> I would transfer money online, as needed, from my Wells Fargo account to our joint account.

> My fiancée would withdraw cash from any ATM, as needed.

> The cash withdrawal fee was $5. for each withdrawal.

> The daily cash withdrawal limit on the ATM card was $310.

> ATMs in the Philippines would allow my fiancée to withdraw up to P10,000. (about $200.) per transaction.

> If my fiancée withdrew any amount over $200. (up to the $310. limit) in a single day, it would require two separate transactions. The total transaction fee for these two withdrawals would amount to $10.

The only problem we had with this system is that we were charged with three ATM withdrawals in a single day for a total of $600. (plus $15. in transaction fees), when in reality, my fiancée made only one ATM withdrawal (for $200). Wells Fargo currently is investigating this issue.

Normally, my fiancée would periodically withdraw P10,000. and deposit most of the cash into her account at BPI for her use throughout the month.

I have been using xoom for almost 3 years now to my mother's Bank account and had no problems at all just using my Debit card. If you just signed –up with xoom and you want to send big amount like $3000.000 they will need to collect information from you that is a Federal law requirements to any money remittance centers to verify your identity because of the so many illegal activities around like money laundering or funding a terrorist organizations .Start with small amount first like less than a thousand dollars and you will be ok. :blink:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you really want to save on transfer fees, paperwork will need to be done first. I recently used BPI Express Remittance Center here in LA and they only charged me $7 for $3000 money transfer to a BPI account in the Philippines. I also have a Citibank Account where you can apply for Citibank Money Card wherein you go to the bank and fill up forms for the person you want the atm to be sent to abroad. You can transfer money on it online for a maximum of $1000 or you go to Citibank ATM Machine if you want more than $1000 to be transferred. Each transfer will cost you $8.

Here is the the website for BPI if you want to find the Remittance Center nearest you. They only have a few here in the US so this might or might not work for you.

www.bpiexpressonline.com

05/18/07 married

05/29/07 sent I-130s for me & my daughter at CSC

06/16/07 checks for I-130 cashed

06/19/07 sent I-129F not waiting for noa1 but with printed online copies of checks cashed

06/25/07 check for I-129f cashed

06/29/07 transferred I-129f to CSC

07/03/07 received noa1 in the mail for I-129f

10/31/07 approved K3 and my I-130 except for my daughter

11/05/07 received NOA2 in the mail

12/01/07 received mail from NVC/yey we got our case number

12/20/07 went to St. Lukes and had my early medical exam

01/30/08 schedule for medical

02/07/08 interview, approved!

02/12/08 visa pick-up/cfo

02/14/08 POE-LAX

06/19/08 AOS mailed thru USPS

06/22/08 AOS delivered to Chicago IL

06/28/08 check cashed

06/30/08 received NOA1 dated 06/25/08

07/26/08 biometrics appointment

09/09/08 received EAD card in the mail

12/03/08 received interview letter for Jan 21 2009

01/21/09 approved for conditional permanent residence

02/02/09 permanent residence card arrived in the mail

10/21/10 submit form to remove conditions

01/21/11 10 year gc received

03/05/12 mailed my N-400

03/06/12 received email that they have my N-400

04/05/12 biometrics

I use wire transfer.

For BPI, their US counter part is JP Morgan thus wire transfer would be faster. If another bank, wire transfer is 3 - 5 days.

You could open a joint dollar account in the philippines. Use that account to wire transfer money (from US to philippines). I wont suggest wire transfer of dollar to a peso account in the philippines coz you would loss some money on the conversion. With the dollar account in the philippines, she could withdraw in thousands of dollar. Some bank requires heads up of withdrawal, some don't.

Hope this help.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.