ProudWife

Airline Reservations & Visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

My hubby has his interview on April 27, 2009 in Abu Dhabi. We wanted to make airline reservations and unsure when leaving a foreign country into US IF he must have a visa on hand at the time of booking. Hubby doesn't plan to leave until two weeks after his interview and we will use a travel agency. We are hoping to plan enough ahead to lower cost factors, then having to make last minute flight arrangments. :yes:

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

A visa is NOT required at the time of booking, however it is a risk, what if something complicated comes up at the time of visa interview?

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
A visa is NOT required at the time of booking, however it is a risk, what if something complicated comes up at the time of visa interview?

YuAndDan is right, plus your husband is from Iran, there is 99% chance of him being put through AP.

My hubby has his interview on April 27, 2009 in Abu Dhabi. We wanted to make airline reservations and unsure when leaving a foreign country into US IF he must have a visa on hand at the time of booking. Hubby doesn't plan to leave until two weeks after his interview and we will use a travel agency. We are hoping to plan enough ahead to lower cost factors, then having to make last minute flight arrangments. :yes:

I will chime in here. DO NOT MAKE PLANS till you have the visa in HAND!

You will have 6 months to use the visa. If something happens, as detailed above, then changing dates on the tickets can be costly.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

I concur, I am waiting until I have my wife's visa in hand before making travel arrangements for her to come to the US. It maybe a little more expensive, but there is a tradeoff of booking now and paying a change fee, or paying a higher rate because the reservation is closer to the date of departure.

The Journey Home
04/27/2009 - POE at JFK (Quick and Easy!!!!)
05/07/2009 - Applied for SSN
05/09/2009 - Welcome Letter Received
05/14/2009 - SSN Received
05/11/2009 - GC Production Ordered
06/12/2009 - GC Production Ordered (AGAIN ?!?!?!)
06/19/2009 - Alien Registration Approval notice email
06/22/2009 - 2 Year Green Card Received!!!!!!

Naturalization
02/06/2013 - Application Sent
02/13/2013 - NOA (Priority Date Feb 8th)
02/13/2013 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
02/21/2013 - Early Bio Appt. (Original March 15th)
02/26/2013 - Place Inline for Interview

04/24/2013 - Interview scheduled

05/31/2013 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

XX/XX/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks all! We will wait, but because this is the practical thing to do for many reasons stated, but certainly I won't agree with one saying hubby might get an AP for him being Iranian and you actually gave a chance of 99%. WOW!. :unsure: Please take note that positive energy is most important. I filed I-130 with NSCIS on Dec. 9, 2008. Was approved January and it went to the NVC same month and March 5 the case was completed as CR-1 and interview is April 27, 2009. I think if the feds were profiling on my case based on my hubby being Iranian, it would have occured during any of those monumental periods. I have dotted my "I"s and crossed my "T"s and will remain with only positive thoughts. Because he is Iranian should certainly not cause an AP. Besides, he is a medical doctor and has been approved a visa before to USA. We were married in the good old USA. He will never be a charge to the public, etc. etc. etc. Every bit of submitted documentation is also duplicated and in his possession. Abu Dhabi is mostly a muslim country to begin with and Iranians go through their country constantly. :hehe:

I concur, I am waiting until I have my wife's visa in hand before making travel arrangements for her to come to the US. It maybe a little more expensive, but there is a tradeoff of booking now and paying a change fee, or paying a higher rate because the reservation is closer to the date of departure.
Edited by Lisa Momeny

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Timeline
Thanks all! We will wait, but because this is the practical thing to do for many reasons stated, but certainly I won't agree with one saying hubby might get an AP for him being Iranian and you actually gave a chance of 99%. WOW!. :unsure: Please take note that positive energy is most important. I filed I-130 with NSCIS on Dec. 9, 2008. Was approved January and it went to the NVC same month and March 5 the case was completed as CR-1 and interview is April 27, 2009. I think if the feds were profiling on my case based on my hubby being Iranian, it would have occured during any of those monumental periods. I have dotted my "I"s and crossed my "T"s and will remain with only positive thoughts. Because he is Iranian should certainly not cause an AP. Besides, he is a medical doctor and has been approved a visa before to USA. We were married in the good old USA. He will never be a charge to the public, etc. etc. etc. Every bit of submitted documentation is also duplicated and in his possession. Abu Dhabi is mostly a muslim country to begin with and Iranians go through their country constantly. :hehe:

Yes you flew threw USCIS and NVC, I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if you look at other people who went through Iran, they flew threw USCIS and NVC also only to be put on AP after the interview.

May be other knowledgeable members can correct me, but according to what I have learnt of this process, Cuba, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are put under expedition countries automatically.

I am not trying to be fill your mind with negativity, but just want you to be realistic. If he doesn't get AP, well and good, real good for you guys, but just be prepared is all I would say.

AP isn't the end of the world, it only means more security checks and since you guys flew the USCIS and NVC, it shouldn't hurt much even if he puts threw AP.

This site is for learning and that's what I am trying to do, not trying to have a blame game.

Best wishes (F)

Timeline

I will end it by saying; again, I will be always positive and regret I even posted a question here. I frankly feel your two line sentence was enough to give the perception of you jumping to conclusions and being overly assumptious. You probably keep more in check with India than my people in Iran. I do keep up with my Iranian friends here and friends not even members on VJ. They aren't flying threw USCIS or NVS at all as you further assumed and suggested. Some reasons they aren't flying threw and just to name a few; they lacked USA marriage, inadequate means of support, overstay, denied prior, etc. There was little similarity to my file once we discussed things in detail. My husband also already received US visa in 3 months time before this CR-1. It was during his previous stay we married. I guess I am a bit offended on the way you responded and your direct presumptious comments. Have a wonderful life!

Yes you flew threw USCIS and NVC, I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if you look at other people who went through Iran, they flew threw USCIS and NVC also only to be put on AP after the interview.

May be other knowledgeable members can correct me, but according to what I have learnt of this process, Cuba, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are put under expedition countries automatically.

I am not trying to be fill your mind with negativity, but just want you to be realistic. If he doesn't get AP, well and good, real good for you guys, but just be prepared is all I would say.

AP isn't the end of the world, it only means more security checks and since you guys flew the USCIS and NVC, it shouldn't hurt much even if he puts threw AP.

This site is for learning and that's what I am trying to do, not trying to have a blame game.

Best wishes (F)

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Hi, no need to be so upset, no one is trying to offend you. You asked if you should book tix before interview, and pple gave their best advice. The fact that you are considering booking before interview shows you have alot of confidence and very positive, which is perfectly fine. But at the same time, does not hurt to be ready for any outcome.

All the positive qualities about your husband that was listed will definitely work in his favor, but at the same time these are not guarantees. Being a doctor and having enough income simply qualifies him to pass the affidavit of support, but is not a guarantee for a visa after interview. Keep in mind that although he received a US visa before, applying for CR1 permanent residency is quite different from tourist or employment visa. Having a clean and clear record is definitely a plus, but again, many applicants with all these attributes were put on AP for lesser reasons. All these positive qualities helped them pass AP and get the visa, but did not prevent AP.

This does not mean your husband will be put on AP, and may not affect your husband's case at all, since all cases are unique. But there is no question that this is a fact: male applicants from pre-dominantly muslim countries are more likely to be placed on AP than the aveage applicants, and not always for good reasons. I'm not sure about the 99% figure someone mentioned earlier, but it is higher than average. Unfortunately, AP can happen for any number of bad reasons, despite having all paperwork and all history perfect. Sometimes it can be just the name that raises flags. Also, a desi guys applicant married to a caucasian woman USC draws alot of unwanted attention. These reasons are not very good reasons to delay a person's life for months, and of course the DOS and USCIS will never admit to profiling, but the numbers do not lie.

So just be ready, the above was not meant to discourage you, but to let you know to be prepared. Hopefully, by end of April, you will be too happy to remember these postings. Best of luck!

Timeline

I want to personally and very deeply thank you for a well articulated thoughtful, insightful and informative response. Had someone here just said it to me the way you have, it would have been well received. But the specific VJ directly pointed out becuase he was "Iranian" it was 99% chance of AP. It did really rub me wrong. I know each and everyone of us have this potential of AP and I do know muslims and people with middle eastern last names get a bad wrap. You have eased my mind and shed enough light to keep me grounded. Many many many thanks and my best regards. :star:

Hi, no need to be so upset, no one is trying to offend you. You asked if you should book tix before interview, and pple gave their best advice. The fact that you are considering booking before interview shows you have alot of confidence and very positive, which is perfectly fine. But at the same time, does not hurt to be ready for any outcome.

All the positive qualities about your husband that was listed will definitely work in his favor, but at the same time these are not guarantees. Being a doctor and having enough income simply qualifies him to pass the affidavit of support, but is not a guarantee for a visa after interview. Keep in mind that although he received a US visa before, applying for CR1 permanent residency is quite different from tourist or employment visa. Having a clean and clear record is definitely a plus, but again, many applicants with all these attributes were put on AP for lesser reasons. All these positive qualities helped them pass AP and get the visa, but did not prevent AP.

This does not mean your husband will be put on AP, and may not affect your husband's case at all, since all cases are unique. But there is no question that this is a fact: male applicants from pre-dominantly muslim countries are more likely to be placed on AP than the aveage applicants, and not always for good reasons. I'm not sure about the 99% figure someone mentioned earlier, but it is higher than average. Unfortunately, AP can happen for any number of bad reasons, despite having all paperwork and all history perfect. Sometimes it can be just the name that raises flags. Also, a desi guys applicant married to a caucasian woman USC draws alot of unwanted attention. These reasons are not very good reasons to delay a person's life for months, and of course the DOS and USCIS will never admit to profiling, but the numbers do not lie.

So just be ready, the above was not meant to discourage you, but to let you know to be prepared. Hopefully, by end of April, you will be too happy to remember these postings. Best of luck!

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Timeline

Lisa Momeny,

I am not sure why you are taking it so personally. I would have said the same thing if it was an Indian guy married to Caucasian woman going through Delhi consulate. May be not 99% in that case but there always is a big chance of him going through AP.

Just because I wrote in one line doesn't mean I was offending anyone. As HSB stated there is a big difference between someone coming on a non-immigrant visa and an Immigrant visa. An intending immigrant is bound to go through intense security checks compared to a non-immigrant one.

If you would like, you might want to look older post, last years post when a couple of petitioner from Iraq were flying threw USCIS while others were waiting forever. And both the petitioner were from VSC, anyone can vouch how slow VSC was last year. That's when I learnt how war zone countries or the countries which US counts as hostile gets automated expedite.

As I said I wish you best of luck, you don't have to take offend on every other poster pointing their views. I was no way disrespectful to you. Yes I posted an one liner, but I thought it’s a given known fact that anyone from Muslim country or anyone from third world country is bound to go through multiple checks and scrutiny. Didn’t realize people would take one line as offending.

I won't post anymore but I still wish you best, and hope you would try to see I wasn’t being offending to anyone.

Good luck.

Timeline

The more you talk, the more I don't care to hear from you. You keep putting your foot in your mouth. First, you didn't have to shower my first and last name within your response. This isn't a dear john letter. What the He#L are you doing even trying to compare Iraq with Iran (apples and Oranges)???

How dare you even compare Iraq with Iran, let alone compare that country with any country where USA soldiers have gone to war, contracted soldiers, expates, and so many people have gone to war and died for our country and many innocent people have died. I am beginning to smell more than disparities. I smell a very prejustice uninformed person trying to make sense of their own uneducated misfortunes. Don't even try to use the input of HSB. You meant what you said in your two lines. You saw my spouse was iranian and you attacked his nationality. Your only two lines and now this response you have given here is loud and clear. You are a shallow thinker with narrow eyes. I am really finished with this topic. I got more information than I have ever wanted and outside the topic. I won't get my husband's tickets yet, because one of the people that may interview him, may have characterics and traits like you and AP him based on him being Iranian and they were the 99% thinker like you. Iran a third world country? :angry:

Lisa Momeny,

I am not sure why you are taking it so personally. I would have said the same thing if it was an Indian guy married to Caucasian woman going through Delhi consulate. May be not 99% in that case but there always is a big chance of him going through AP.

Just because I wrote in one line doesn't mean I was offending anyone. As HSB stated there is a big difference between someone coming on a non-immigrant visa and an Immigrant visa. An intending immigrant is bound to go through intense security checks compared to a non-immigrant one.

If you would like, you might want to look older post, last years post when a couple of petitioner from Iraq were flying threw USCIS while others were waiting forever. And both the petitioner were from VSC, anyone can vouch how slow VSC was last year. That's when I learnt how war zone countries or the countries which US counts as hostile gets automated expedite.

As I said I wish you best of luck, you don't have to take offend on every other poster pointing their views. I was no way disrespectful to you. Yes I posted an one liner, but I thought it’s a given known fact that anyone from Muslim country or anyone from third world country is bound to go through multiple checks and scrutiny. Didn’t realize people would take one line as offending.

I won't post anymore but I still wish you best, and hope you would try to see I wasn’t being offending to anyone.

Good luck.

Edited by Lisa Momeny

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Timeline
The more you talk, the more I don't care to hear from you. You keep putting your foot in your mouth. First, you didn't have to shower my first and last name within your response. This isn't a dear john letter. What the He#L are you doing even trying to compare Iraq with Iran (apples and Oranges)???

How dare you even compare Iraq with Iran, let alone compare that country with any country where USA soldiers have gone to war, contracted soldiers, expates, and so many people have gone to war and died for our country and many innocent people have died. I am beginning to smell more than disparities. I smell a very prejustice uninformed person trying to make sense of their own uneducated misfortunes. Don't even try to use the input of HSB. You meant what you said in your two lines. You saw my spouse was iranian and you attacked his nationality. Your only two lines and now this response you have given here is loud and clear. You are a shallow thinker with narrow eyes. I am really finished with this topic. I got more information than I have ever wanted and outside the topic. I won't get my husband's tickets yet, because one of the people that may interview him, may have characterics and traits like you and AP him based on him being Iranian and they were the 99% thinker like you. :angry:

Lisa Momeny,

Good luck.

--Then don't use your first and last name in a message board.

--I am not comparing Iraq and Iran. Did say earlier and saying it again, if the Petitioner belong to countries such as -- Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan or any war ridden country, they get expedition automatically.

-- You are reading too much into it and basically calling me a racist.

I have been really very polite and I will continue to do so.

Timeline

Basically you are right what I am implying. I call a spade when I see it. I am sorry that Iran is not perceived well in your India eyes.

How dare you even compare Iraq with Iran, let alone compare that country with any country where USA soldiers have gone to war, contracted soldiers, expates, and so many people have gone to war and died for our country and many innocent people have died. I am beginning to smell more than disparities. I smell a very prejustice uninformed person trying to make sense of their own uneducated misfortunes. Don't even try to use the input of HSB. You meant what you said in your two lines. You saw my spouse was iranian and you attacked his nationality. Your only two lines and now this response you have given here is loud and clear. You are a shallow thinker with narrow eyes. I am really finished with this topic. I got more information than I have ever wanted and outside the topic. I won't get my husband's tickets yet, because one of the people that may interview him, may have characterics and traits like you and AP him based on him being Iranian and they were the 99% thinker like you. :angry:

Lisa Momeny,

Good luck.

--I am not comparing Iraq and Iran. Did say earlier and saying it again, if the Petitioner belong to countries such as -- Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan or any war ridden country, they get expedition automatically.

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Timeline

You state you are here to learn things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World. Now once you see the definition of third world countries, scroll dowm to the listed countries...3rd on the list is India. Is Iran listed at all...NO! Thank you.

Basically you are right what I am implying. I call a spade when I see it. I am sorry that Iran is not perceived well in your India eyes.

Lisa Momeny,

Good luck.

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.