Wis-Can

Canada/US Crossing with Vehicle Letter

151 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have both, the compliance letter (From American Honda) and the recall clearance letter (from Honda Canada). When I have two questions:

1. When I go through the border tomorrow, will they issue the forms that I have to fill, or do I have to have those before I get there?

2. Will I have to pay to import my car?

Filed: Timeline
I have both, the compliance letter (From American Honda) and the recall clearance letter (from Honda Canada). When I have two questions:

1. When I go through the border tomorrow, will they issue the forms that I have to fill, or do I have to have those before I get there?

2. Will I have to pay to import my car?

I crossed at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo with my car. After your visa has been processed they will ask, or you will tell them, that you are importing a vehicle. You need your registration and/or sales receipt, as well as your compliance letter. They will fill out a form and give you a copy. There is no cost to import your car but they will ask you for the amount you think it's worth. Low-ball it or look it up in the Kelley Blue Book because some tag offices in Florida will charge you State tax on its value when you register your vehicle. (I got hit with the tax in Lake County but Bernie did not in Jacksonville.)

Bon voyage!

iagree.gif

I saw that you had posted something else trailmix, so I thought I'd see what more information you had to impart. It was a nm! :lol:

One thing I did want to post, however I forgot the first time I looked at this thread is maybe not specifically for the OP, but for anyone else looking to import a car, is that another VJ'er from Canada, but I can't remember her name? Thought she'd "skip" getting a compliance letter, and they wouldn't let her cross with her car and she ended up travelling I Think to Calgary or something to get a letter at the last minute. It was very very costly,and time consuming. So everyone should just step up to the plate and get it, even if it does cost money.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't think they gave you the correct information. I had to temporary import my car to the U.S last year. I have a GM vehicle as well. It has to be a letter directly from GM of Canada and Vintage Vehicle Services out of Oshawa, Ontario is who I contacted. It cost me $80 and they can fax a copy of the letter to you and you will also receive a hard copy in the mail that comes with GM of Canada letterhead. It will have bullets on the letter, one that it meets EPA and the other the Safety Standards(DOT). The number that I used to contact was 1 888 467 6853, or 905 440 7689, 8-5, M-F. Hope this helps!

Edit: I just looked at JulyBrides link in her post and they have listed: I think GM must contract out the compliance letters to Vintage Vehicle Services because that is the same address and telephone numbers that I used when I had to import.

General Motors of Canada Limited

1908 Colonel Sam Drive

Oshawa, Ontario

Canada L1H 8P7

CANADA: (905) 440-7689

FAX: (905) 440-7644

I agree with Minnew. I have a GM vehicle and I called the Vintage Vehicle Services people as well. And that worked out fine. They send two letters with a stamp that says "processed" on them. One is the EPA complianace and one is, I think, that there have been no recalls. I think it took about 2 weeks. They charge $80 and will take your cc over the phone. I played a bit of phone tag with them.

What I wanted to add was, after you've done your immigration stuff, remember to tell them you are importing a car. They may not ask. At the Peace Bridge, you need to go to a different "building". It was very uneventful once I remembered to do it. They didn't charge anything at the border.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh even better, Toyota Canada has this information on their site:

Exporting a Vehicle from Canada:

Q: What is Toyota's recommendation for exporting my Toyota vehicle from Canada?

A: If you plan to export your current Toyota vehicle outside of Canada and the Continental U.S., Toyota recommends that you view Transport Canada's guidelines as displayed on their website www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/.

For Canadian citizens relocating to the United States, Toyota Canada can assist you in determining the compliance of your vehicle and provide a letter for submission to U.S. Customs (1994 model year Toyota vehicles and newer).

We require the following information prior to reviewing your request for a letter of compliance:

Model Year and 17 digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

Final Destination State (Please note that compliance regulations may vary by state)

Date of Departure from Canada

Letter stating the reason for change of residence (eg. Business transfer, marriage, education etc.)

Proof of Canadian citizenship or legal residency in Canada

Proof of Vehicle ownership

Please allow at least 8 business days for processing prior to your departure. You may contact the Customer Interaction Centre toll-free by phone at 1-888-TOYOTA-8 (1-888-869-6828) 7:00am - 11:00pm Eastern Standard Time, by fax at 416-431-8035 or submit your request through the Contact Us section of this website.

We cannot guarantee that all Toyota vehicles produced for the Canadian market will comply with U.S. regulations. Vehicles without dual airbags are not eligible for permanent registration in the U.S. In addition, vehicles produced for the Canadian market may have unique features and equipment compared to similar U.S versions. Certain parts and service may not be available or difficult to obtain due to these differences.

For Canadian specification vehicles 1993 and older, please contact TOYOTA MOTOR SALES U.S.A at 1-800-331-4331.

Trailmix... you're my hero!!! :dance: Thank you for finding this information. I knew there had to be a Toyota Canada division, but yesterday I had a huge, gargantuan, punding headache and it was all I could do to read a link, let alone research the information. I'll get working on this information and help my fiance get everything together.

I seriously have NO idea what I would do without VJ and everyone here!!! Sometimes I don't get the answers I want, but I know that I'm getting the right answers. Thank you all SOOOO very much! :blush:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Ok, so I am officially convinced that every call centre is requited to employ at least a few idiots in there queue dept, that just take up space, never listen during training, and never read memo's for changes etc... yet they still get full benefits and a full salary....amazes me!!!

Well after dealing with this moron this morning twice, who was telling me I had to take my car to the US to be inspected and call US Volvo for the letter... I was like 'um, why would they go through the trouble to let me know if my CANADIAN car complies to their standards.... if the car is manufactered for CA, how would they know that?' also 'if I need the paper to import my car, how do you propose I bounce over the boarder, get it assessed, and then bounce back over to supply the letter?' did I mention this guy barely spoke english? Not that would have mattered, had he been saying something of substance... but the **** that he was saying, combined with the very difficult to understand accent made for 'i'm gonna lose my mind' scenario...

So I called back a few times, finally got this sweet French Canadian guy, who basically popped up the form letter on his computer, filled in my info and faxed it to me in all of 10 mins!!!! GOD BLESS COMPETENT PEOPLE!!!!

I am gonna look back at the other letter someone posted to make sure it's ok... the letter basically says that the car was manufactured for use in Canada, complies to all our standards, emissions etc.... is this the letter?

They also said there is a recall letter, which I would have to get from a dealer in US if needed after I arrive... do I need this????

Thanks guys!

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So for all the Nissan people,

To get your recall letter you call 1-800-387-0122 which is the Nissan Canada Information center. You want option 4. They will send out a recall letter (do we need one thats dated close to the time we cross? If so I will need to call again later) They need your VIN, name and address but they will mail it out to you, no charge.

Then for the compliance letter you call 1-800-647-7261 which is Nissan North America. They need the same as above and a fax number where they will fax your letter of compliance. Also no fee's to get the paper faxed, they give you a referance number and the lady I dealt with gave me her name and direct extension incase I need any information in the future. Of course I was told (as I assume many are) that the daytime running lights arent compliant, as they are too bright, but that they would send me the letter anyway as it would say as much.

They gave methe number for the Dept. of Transportation 1-800-877-8339 to inquire about where to get it adjusted as they informed me Nissan does not do these adjustments as they are "not economically feasible" or something.

Questions I have now that I have done this: Do I have to get the lights adjusted before I can cross/register or do I actually have to have this fixed at all? I've heard a few people mention that they crossed with their letter saying something similar, didn't know the details beyond that though, about if they need to be adjusted, how long you have to do so, if you need to update anyone on bringing it up to compliance, if it affects registration, cost to have something like that done. If anyone has details on that portion it would be wonderful!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As you probably saw on the compliance letter I posted - our car does have running lights.

So I called the officer at the POE we were using (Coutts - Sweetgrass) and asked him if it was really an issue. He told me that yes, if we did not have the running lights disabled we would not be able to import the car.

So we set up an appt at the dealership to have that done - they were going to charge us $125.00.

Then we decided it was silly and did not do it. When I gave the officer at the border our compliance letter, his only comment was 'Ford should know better'. Now I didn't question him on which part of the letter he thought was silly - but anyway, we did import it no problem.

Edited by trailmix

So we cannot have running lights? Wonder if I should try to cross and not disable?

Do I also need a letter showing there are no outstanding recalls?

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline
So we cannot have running lights? Wonder if I should try to cross and not disable?

Do I also need a letter showing there are no outstanding recalls?

Your compliance letter should note if there are outstanding recalls and if you have already had the item fixed.

ok, Volvo sucks my *******

I finally got someone today who sent me a 3 sentence form letter saying that my car complies with all emissions and standards on the date it was built. thats it... they said that if I wanted a more detailed letter with recall stuff etc... I would have to go to dealership...have them test my car???? check for recalls and they would charge me????

You would think, being linked to Ford, they would have their game straight!

Back to the drawing board... gotta call this guy tmrw :(

Thanks Trailmix :)

N-400 Citizenship

Timeline
ok, Volvo sucks my *******

I finally got someone today who sent me a 3 sentence form letter saying that my car complies with all emissions and standards on the date it was built. thats it... they said that if I wanted a more detailed letter with recall stuff etc... I would have to go to dealership...have them test my car???? check for recalls and they would charge me????

You would think, being linked to Ford, they would have their game straight!

Back to the drawing board... gotta call this guy tmrw :(

Thanks Trailmix :)

You're welcome! You know in pondering this, different vehicles may require different items to be mentioned in their letters of compliance. Some vehicles have stickers for instance - which serve some identifying purpose which might just include emissions compliance.

I know some others here have discussed this before - I am assuming that some of you have compliance letters that maybe didn't mention emissions - but your vehicles had stickers that showed it complies?

I found this: http://www.clearedanddelivered.com/article/tag/import/

Prior to filing your entry with CBP, ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original. Ensure you have documentation, such as a manufacturer’s letter, stating that the car conforms to EPA and DOT standards, as well as a completed EPA form 3250-1 and DOT form HS-7. (If the vehicle has stickers on the engine (EPA) and inside the drivers-side door (DOT) stating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards, you will not need a manufacturers letter. Some vehicles are listed by make, model, and year on the DOT and EPA web sites as conforming. If your vehicle is one of those, that would also negate the need for a manufacturers letter.)

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, you don't need to worry about the lights. The issue is that the US does not have a law where vehicles must have daytime running lights whereas Canada does. You can just ignore that bit. Just bring whatever documents you receive from the manufacturer. If Customs is not happy with what you have they will let you know. Worst case scenario is that you import your vehicle at a later date at a local POE to you. Here is a link to Locate a Port of Entry.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.