SanDan

Scandinavians

4,816 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi all, I was just wondering something with the AOS. Since my medical was 29th of September, and we will be Adjusting in mid-Nov, is it really necessary to pay for a whole new medical exam? And if not, what papers do I need to send to USCIS?

Medical is good for a year.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello!

I have a little bit of an unusual situation that I need some advice with. Back in January I proposed to my fiancée from Norway, a month later I sent out the I129F fiancée visa. The day after that my fiancée had a very serious and tragic car accident. Everything was very unsure at that time, but I stuck with the visa process, because after waking from the coma she wanted to continue with our plans. As she progressed, we went ahead and scheduled the interview. We attended the interview, and they told us they wanted just a few more papers from us before they approved it.

In the mean time, after discussions with her parents and from doctor's advice, we realized she needed some more rehabilitation in Norway, and seeing that it's free in Norway, it was best to stay there another year for her benefit. So, we went ahead and withdrew the K1 after doing weeks of research if there was any way for us to keep the visa, yet still get married. It turns out there was no way possible.

This past month she traveled to America and we got married. We're currently still in America and are wanting to fill out the CR-1 now. My question is, can I send in the petition while we are still here, or do we need to wait until we get back to Norway? We have no intention of doing any of this illegally. Also, I applied for a visa to stay in Norway for a year (which I'm fairly sure that I'll get), will this affect her and I from getting the CR-1 approved? I know this is a very unusual and difficult situation for people to understand or help with, but anybody's help would be very much appreciated!

Timeline

Hello!

I have a little bit of an unusual situation that I need some advice with. Back in January I proposed to my fiancée from Norway, a month later I sent out the I129F fiancée visa. The day after that my fiancée had a very serious and tragic car accident. Everything was very unsure at that time, but I stuck with the visa process, because after waking from the coma she wanted to continue with our plans. As she progressed, we went ahead and scheduled the interview. We attended the interview, and they told us they wanted just a few more papers from us before they approved it.

In the mean time, after discussions with her parents and from doctor's advice, we realized she needed some more rehabilitation in Norway, and seeing that it's free in Norway, it was best to stay there another year for her benefit. So, we went ahead and withdrew the K1 after doing weeks of research if there was any way for us to keep the visa, yet still get married. It turns out there was no way possible.

This past month she traveled to America and we got married. We're currently still in America and are wanting to fill out the CR-1 now. My question is, can I send in the petition while we are still here, or do we need to wait until we get back to Norway? We have no intention of doing any of this illegally. Also, I applied for a visa to stay in Norway for a year (which I'm fairly sure that I'll get), will this affect her and I from getting the CR-1 approved? I know this is a very unusual and difficult situation for people to understand or help with, but anybody's help would be very much appreciated!

Yes you can send in the papers for CR-1 visa while she is there. It takes about a year to get so if you also want to live in Norway for a year you have to think about timing also.

Timeline

Yes you can send in the papers for CR-1 visa while she is there. It takes about a year to get so if you also want to live in Norway for a year you have to think about timing also.

That's what I thought would work perfect. Since it'll take a year to get the visa for her, it would be great to be able to stay in Norway with her while waiting. Of course we would travel back to America as often as possible.

Timeline

Don't forget any issues with the I-864 and domicile if you are going to be away from America.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

Don't forget any issues with the I-864 and domicile if you are going to be away from America.

I was thinking of using my parent's address as my home, seeing as I don't currently own a home because of the events of this year. I used it on the I-129F and had no issues.

Timeline

I was thinking of using my parent's address as my home, seeing as I don't currently own a home because of the events of this year. I used it on the I-129F and had no issues.

Are you planning on residing there when you get back, at least initially? It isn't a big deal if you aren't, but you'll want some kind of housing arranged for the domicile issue.

Do you have assets or a co-sponsor lined up yet?

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

Are you planning on residing there when you get back, at least initially? It isn't a big deal if you aren't, but you'll want some kind of housing arranged for the domicile issue.

Do you have assets or a co-sponsor lined up yet?

I would like to have a house/apartment lined up before us moving over here permanently, which I don't think will be too difficult to get figured out. But, seeing that we have a year before moving, I don't feel the need to rent a place or buy a place.

I plan on using my uncle as a cosponsor, which I used for the K1. If not, I have other people around me who are able to help me out. I'm not sure if any of my assets (insurance money, etc) would be enough.

Edited by AdamPolston

Timeline

I would like to have a house/apartment lined up before us moving over here permanently, which I don't think will be too difficult to get figured out. But, seeing that we have a year before moving, I don't feel the need to rent a place or buy a place.

I plan on using my uncle as a cosponsor, which I used for the K1. If not, I have other people around me who are able to help me out. I'm not sure if any of my assets (insurance money, etc) would be enough.

Great! Have fun in Norway, it sure is a pretty place to get to spend some time before coming back over. :)

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Still no visa uuuuggghhhhh. Almost 2 weeks and still no AP. The email we got said "The consul is still reviewing your fiancee visa application". Is this bad or good?

K-1:
06/08/2016: I-129F Sent

06/16/2016: Check cashed

08/23/2016: Approval

09/09/2016: At the Stockholm Embassy

09/28/2016: Embassy received completed medical

09/29/2016: Interview date, APPROVAL 

10/14/2016: Visa ISSUED

10/17/2016: Visa received

AOS
12/22/2016: I-485, I-131, I-765 Sent

01/10/2017: Check cashed

02/03/2017: Biometrics completed

04/17/2017: Your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

01/20/2018: I-485 Interview letter received

02/01/2018: I-485 Interview, APPROVAL 

Timeline

Still no visa uuuuggghhhhh. Almost 2 weeks and still no AP. The email we got said "The consul is still reviewing your fiancee visa application". Is this bad or good?

Hmmm this is a bit strange. They are usually a lot faster then that and it still just say ready?

Is your fiancé from Sweden or some place else?

Timeline

Hmmm this is a bit strange. They are usually a lot faster then that and it still just say ready?

Still just ready. I'm the beneficiary, and I'm full blooded Swedish. Never even left the country :cry:

Edited by SagaSm

K-1:

AOS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Yeah, that is weird. Was something missing at the interview? The medical?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

Still just ready. I'm the beneficiary, and I'm full blooded Swedish. Never even left the country :cry:

Okay... was it at AP at all? Looks like in your timeline like it was in AP on the 6th of October?

Timeline

No, no 221(g) and the medical had arrived. He said everything was fine and would get my passport back within 2 weeks. It's been 12 days and the only change that has happened is that it went from Immigrant to Nonimmigrant on Sep. 30th. Then something changed on Oct. 6th, but then it's been quiet.

K-1:

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.