frangipani

Do education and work experience matter?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi,

I'm just curious ...In general, does beneficiary's education and work experience matter at all?

Does the CO pay attention to that?

I am asking in regards to the questions #22 and 23 in form DS-230 which ask "In what occupation do you intend to work in the United States?" and "Professional associations to which you belong".

Does it matter for them if we are a professional or unemployed?

Edited by frangipani

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi,

I'm just curious ...In general, does beneficiary's education and work experience matter at all?

I am asking in regards to the questions #22 and 23 in form DS-230 which ask "In what occupation do you intend to work in the United States?" and "Professional associations to which you belong".

For a K-1 or K-3 visa, no.

Your timeline states you have filed for K-1. Is the DS 230 specific to the Indonesia consulate? Normally K-1 applicants use the DS 156 which does not ask this question.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

No, doesn't matter. I was in school for years and only had few months of work experience. I recently graduated from school when I had to complete visa documents, so basically I was unemployed. No problem. The CO paid attention to my education only because I went to school abroad and so he wanted to know if I maintained legal residency in that country. If not for that, I don't think he would pay any attention at all.

As for question #22, just answer with whatever would fit your interest. It doesn't really matter. Question #23, just answer honestly. If you never join any professional association, just put None. Again, it doesn't really matter.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Timeline:

16-05-08 Sent I-129F to VSC

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

23-10-08 Interview - Approved

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

27-01-09 AOS documents sent

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

27-02-09 Biometrics appointment

02-04-09 Redo biometrics... aargghh!! >:(

03-04-09 Advance Parole received

10-04-09 EAD card received

01-05-09 RFE received

20-05-09 RFE response sent

25-06-09 AOS approved (CRIS e-mail notification)

07-07-09 Green Card received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

Your timeline states you have filed for K-1. Is the DS 230 specific to the Indonesia consulate? Normally K-1 applicants use the DS 156 which does not ask this question.

Generally no but for certain "sensitive" occupations of national security concern, or jobs that indicate potential moral turpitude, it CAN matter quite a bit. So, yes the CO pays attention to everything. For those specific questions though, just answer truthfully even if "unknown" or "none" are truthful.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi,

As a K1 applicant, we were required to complete the DS230 and the DS 156... I had to answer questions on occupation and intent.

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I wondered about this as well, since my fiancée is a licensed teacher with a Master's degree. I was hoping this would work in her favor, as a professional with a relatively high education for her country.

What is the term I've heard used? "Totality of circumstances," which means that any information could assist or impede the case, depending on what it states and how the reader interprets it.

All the best on your journey.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
I wondered about this as well, since my fiancée is a licensed teacher with a Master's degree. I was hoping this would work in her favor, as a professional with a relatively high education for her country.

What is the term I've heard used? "Totality of circumstances," which means that any information could assist or impede the case, depending on what it states and how the reader interprets it.

Yes, i also have a Master's degree and a good profession. I was just hoping that this would matter a bit in determining approval. But i guess it is slight chance,huh?...The thing is, i have everything ok but i use co-sponsors. I'm so worried that the consulate would make it a problem but perhaps seeing that i have degree it may become a consideration factor (not that it helps anything in this bad recession...).

Well, let's see...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife is also a masters degree holder and certified teacher. It made no difference at the interview and wasn't even asked about.

However...when she arrived and enrolled in school here to get a teaching degree, she was offered all sorts of financial aid and will be able to get a tuition paid education to become an English and Russian teacher here and particularly in English as a Second Language courses (ESL) there is a high demand for that, apparently.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Not at the Jakarta embassy. They don't really ask questions about the immigrant's intention, they just want to verify that the support affidavit paperwork is current and in order, and they sometimes ask a couple of questions about the USC spouse or fiance or ask for comments about photos, etc as part of checking relationship validity.

How in hell can you be expected to guess or specify what you indend to do in a place you've never been or seen? My wife answered "unsure" and "none" (rather that's what I put when I filled out all her forms for her) which is exactly and almost verbatum what pushbrk said in earlier post.

Hi,

i don't get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.