lee08

2008 Tax Return Completed

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello,

I am self-employed and I had my income taxes done today for my fiancee's upcoming interview. Since I have a lot of tax write-offs and deductions that I can legally take, line 22 on my form 1040 ended up being $21,000.00, much lower than what I actually make.

Will this be enough for form I-134 or do I need go back and see my accountant again?

It will only be for the support of my fiancee and I if that helps.

Thank you for any replies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you are only responsible for yourself and your fiancee, you will be fine. You are at more than 125% of the poverty level either way.

NOA 2. Really?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello,

I am self-employed and I had my income taxes done today for my fiancee's upcoming interview. Since I have a lot of tax write-offs and deductions that I can legally take, line 22 on my form 1040 ended up being $21,000.00, much lower than what I actually make.

Will this be enough for form I-134 or do I need go back and see my accountant again?

It will only be for the support of my fiancee and I if that helps.

Yes, it is enough. For self employed people, it is preferable to provide tax transcripts. After you file your taxes you can receive a transcript from the IRS. It proves this is what was actually filed. If you are a 1099 contractor you can provide a copy of your return and the 1099. Also it would be good for you to provide a bank letter showing deposits to your personal account(s) for the previous 12 months (NOT calendar year) prior to the interview.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get your tax transcripts from the IRS and write a note notarized explaining why you don't have W2 forms. My girl had her interview on March 2 and I sent my 1040 ands it wasn't enough. My US Representative contacted the embassy and they said they wanted what I described. I was told by IRS it takes 3 weeks after you file before you can get them. I e-filed on the 18th so I have to wait until around the middle of March to get those papers to satisfy the embassies request.

Personally I am drawing up a letter to notarize and so is my accountant. I learned you can't be to careful. Apparently with Turbo tax etc its more common for people to fraudulently make out a 1040. A 1040 does not prove you actually paid income tax and earned the shown income. I was requested to have 2007 and 2008 to resubmit. If you live in the lower 48 states I believe the 125% poverty line is $18,212 so you should be fine at $21,000. Good luck to you.

Edited by htgolfer1

Timeline
Get your tax transcripts from the IRS and write a note notarized explaining why you don't have W2 forms. My girl had her interview on March 2 and I sent my 1040 ands it wasn't enough. My US Representative contacted the embassy and they said they wanted what I described. I was told by IRS it takes 3 weeks after you file before you can get them. I e-filed on the 18th so I have to wait until around the middle of March to get those papers to satisfy the embassies request.

Personally I am drawing up a letter to notarize and so is my accountant. I learned you can't be to careful. Apparently with Turbo tax etc its more common for people to fraudulently make out a 1040. A 1040 does not prove you actually paid income tax and earned the shown income. I was requested to have 2007 and 2008 to resubmit. If you live in the lower 48 states I believe the 125% poverty line is $18,212 so you should be fine at $21,000. Good luck to you.

Now I'm a little worried. Her interview is next Friday March 13th. I'm flying out to be with her this coming Monday. There is no way I can get transcripts on such short notice. My accountant did include form 8879 with my return which is evidence of being e-filed. She signed it and even included her business card with all phone numbers. Do you think this will be enough proof? Should I also include a written letter from myself testifying to the fact?

Timeline

Now I'm a little worried. Her interview is next Friday March 13th. I'm flying out to be with her this coming Monday. There is no way I can get transcripts on such short notice. My accountant did include form 8879 with my return which is evidence of being e-filed. She signed it and even included her business card with all phone numbers. Do you think this will be enough proof? Should I also include a written letter from myself testifying to the fact?

Personally i would go ahead and form a letter and have it notarized just in case. I also had the 8879 as well. They still requested a Tax Transcript or W2. I would ask your accountant to do the same. I hope that will work for you, if not , you may have to wit till you get the tax transcripts and resubmit them like I am doing. I will keep you in my prayers.

By the way, they say its 3 weeks after you efile that you can get the tax transcripts and they can fax them to you so you might try it in case there is a chance you could get them early. There is no charge for them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What about your 2007 return? It is not April 15 yet so they may accept that if it is available.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Well I appreciate the info but now I'm very nervous about this.

Does anyone here have experience with the Moscow Russia embassy that was self-employed and only submitted the tax return?

You have been worried unnecessarily by somebody who has little if any understanding of self-employment or how impossible it is to get a tax transcript before the June following the end of the tax year. What you have will sufficiently document your income. Whether the income is "enough" to satisfy the Consular officer, is something you'll have to wait and see about. It meets the minimum guideline.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Does anyone here have experience with the Moscow Russia embassy that was self-employed and only submitted the tax return?

You have been worried unnecessarily by somebody who has little if any understanding of self-employment or how impossible it is to get a tax transcript before the June following the end of the tax year. What you have will sufficiently document your income. Whether the income is "enough" to satisfy the Consular officer, is something you'll have to wait and see about. It meets the minimum guideline.

I may have little understanding as you say but I submitted the exact thing he has on March 2 and they didn't accept it. You have a more recent case ? And you can get tax transcripts 3 weeks after filing, I talked to the IRS a week and half ago.

Timeline

Here is the link to my discussion just about a week and half ago. I had a schedule SE but no schedule C or 1099. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=182010&hl=

Edited by htgolfer1

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I may have little understanding as you say but I submitted the exact thing he has on March 2 and they didn't accept it. You have a more recent case ? And you can get tax transcripts 3 weeks after filing, I talked to the IRS a week and half ago.

If a tax transcript is available, by all means get one and provide it. A "1040" without the supporting schedules is not a "tax return". It's just part of one. They ask for a tax return, a complete one.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks for the clarification. I always respect your input. I had the schedule SE and a schedule F for farmers but apparently that wasn't enough in my case. Either way I am resolving the issue now and I pray that lee08 does not encounter the same problems as I.

Timeline

Ok,

I have the complete 1040 tax return with all forms, schedules, and 1099's attached. I even included notarized letters from my accountant and myself certifying the return was electronically filed and that everything is true and accurate.

I hope this is acceptable to the embassy. We will find out shortly. I don't know what else to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.