eatingraoul

How can I withdraw a petition for naturalization?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I just learned that by acquiring US citizenship I could lose my original citizenship, since dual passports are not allowed by law. Now, I want to withdraw the petition and keep my Permanent Residency instead, but I am not sure what to do. Does anyone know what steps should I take? Is this possible? Am I risking my residency if I withdraw this petition?

Thanks!

Hi, I just learned that by acquiring US citizenship I could lose my original citizenship, since dual passports are not allowed by law. Now, I want to withdraw the petition and keep my Permanent Residency instead, but I am not sure what to do. Does anyone know what steps should I take? Is this possible? Am I risking my residency if I withdraw this petition?

Thanks!

Dual citizenship is not recognized by the US, but may be recognized by your home country....are you sure that you home country does not accept dual citizenship?

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

For the general question about dual citizenship, read the dual citizenship faq.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

US law only directly addresses the question of whether or not you become a US Citizen. The question of whether or not your previous country will still consider you to be a citizen after you go through US naturalization is one for your previous country to address.

Many, probably most, countries take the position that if you naturalize and become a US Citizen, you remain a citizen of your original country unless you specifically go to a consulate and renounce your original citizenship. But there are definitely some countries that take the position that, as soon as one of their citizens naturalizes and become a US Citizen, he gives up all rights of citizenship to the original country.

Anyway, back to the original question, you don't become a citizen of the US until you actually take the citizenship oath. If you can figure out how to formally withdraw your N-400 by mail, phone, or whatever, you could do that, but an alternate strategy would be to let the application proceed, go to the interview, and tell the interviewer that you do not want to take the test, you do not want to proceed, and you want to withdraw the application.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

For the general question about dual citizenship, read the dual citizenship faq.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

US law only directly addresses the question of whether or not you become a US Citizen. The question of whether or not your previous country will still consider you to be a citizen after you go through US naturalization is one for your previous country to address.

Many, probably most, countries take the position that if you naturalize and become a US Citizen, you remain a citizen of your original country unless you specifically go to a consulate and renounce your original citizenship. But there are definitely some countries that take the position that, as soon as one of their citizens naturalizes and become a US Citizen, he gives up all rights of citizenship to the original country.

Anyway, back to the original question, you don't become a citizen of the US until you actually take the citizenship oath. If you can figure out how to formally withdraw your N-400 by mail, phone, or whatever, you could do that, but an alternate strategy would be to let the application proceed, go to the interview, and tell the interviewer that you do not want to take the test, you do not want to proceed, and you want to withdraw the application.

Hello luyrich,

I agree with your suggestion. You're always so helpful. :thumbs:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

It is not? I thought the US did allow double citizenship. :unsure: that sux

I was wrong...here you go:

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

Link: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Practically anyone that goes into the interview is begging to become a USC, would be interesting to hear what they have to say when you changed your mind.

Will they say, okay, next? Or will they bring in a staff and try to talk you into it? Let us know.

In our case since my wife is naturalized in Venezuela, very iffy for her to get a continued renewal on her Venezuelan passport, ironically, her daughter born there, doesn't have any problems. But if my wife wants to, still can get a passport for Colombia with no problems as that is her home country. But no problems, at least for now, with her US passport. A complicated subject, highly country dependent.

Are you planning on staying here? Do you need a visa to visit your home country? Don't have to answer, just something to think about.

For eatingraoul:

• If your country allows dual citizenship, then just retain that passport and use it when journeying there and US passport to re-enter US (time-honoured system used by many such as Limeys, Pakistanis, ...)
  • if not so, then just fluff USCIS' citizenship tests and cause your app to be rejected
Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Well, the thing is that me and my wife plan to move to Europe in a few years, so losing my german passport would be a pretty bad move..... The question still is....do I endanger my permanent resident status by withdrawing from US Naturalization?

Thanks again! And yes, it would be interesting to go to the interview and just say "I'm not interested anymore", but I don't want to waste anybody's time.....I have to find out how to do it by phone or something.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

A couple of your fellow countrymen have discussed this see:

<http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179993&pid=2682470&st=0entry2682470>

My husband would like to, but to keep his German citizenship, he has to ask for permission to do so from the German government. Otherwise, German citizenship is automatically lost when taking up another citizenship.

<http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145038>

a google search of VJ may showmore,

already being a dual and hoping to get US citizenship as well, I can understand if it cause a problem in your birth country

Hope it helps, ymmv

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Thanks all for the suggestions.

Well, the thing is that me and my wife plan to move to Europe in a few years, so losing my german passport would be a pretty bad move..... The question still is....do I endanger my permanent resident status by withdrawing from US Naturalization?

Thanks again! And yes, it would be interesting to go to the interview and just say "I'm not interested anymore", but I don't want to waste anybody's time.....I have to find out how to do it by phone or something.

Germany allows dual citizenship. However, it is not automatic. You will have to apply for a "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" through your German consulate and need to have the approval from the Bundesverwaltungsamt in hand prior to taking the oath for US citizenship. I applied for the BBG on 30 September 2008 and the approval was issued on 2 December 2008. Not too bad. I recommend going that route.

Edited by thea

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I'm sorry to ask bluntly but if you are planning to move to Europe why do you want to be a US citizen?

Mattr.

N-400

2008-09-15 Mailed N-400

2008-09-16 Check cashed

2008-09-24 NOA1 received

2008-10-10 BIO

2009-02-12 Interview - passed!

2009-02-18 Oath

2009-02-18 American citizen!

The question still is....do I endanger my permanent resident status by withdrawing from US Naturalization?

No, you can keep your green card with no problems. It's no worse than having your N-400 rejected because you failed the test, because you applied too early, or because you decided you were unwilling to take the oath.

There are a few reasons for N-400 denials that could theoretically cause someone to lose their green card too, such as misrepresentation or discovery of previous undiscovered immigration violations or serious crimes. But there are other reasons for N-400 denials which cause no problem to the LPR status, such as withdrawl or failing the test.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

As thea stated already, you have the option to become a US citizen AND keep your German citizenship. It is important though that you get the German Beibehaltungsgenehmigung approved and have it in your possession before you take the oath to become a US citizen.

Another thing you must consider is that you probably will lose your greencard if you move overseas for a prolonged period of time. Even with a reentry permit you cannot stay out of the country for more than two years. And if you stay out of the country for more than six months at a time you break your residency. If your spouse is a US citizen it shouldn't be a problem to reapply for a greencard (but it costs a lot of money again, plus it's a lot of paperwork all over). Good luck on your decisionmaking.

P.S. When did you apply for citizenship? Is there a way to still apply for the Beibehaltungsgenehmigung? Usually it takes about 4 months to get it approved, but I've read of cases where it took only a few a weeks. Get in touch with your German consulate and inform them about your dilemma. They might be able to help you and speed up the process for your application with the German authorities.

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/de/...ibehaltung.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'm sorry to ask bluntly but if you are planning to move to Europe why do you want to be a US citizen?

Mattr.

I believe his reasons are similar to my reasons to apply for citizenship next year. Besides the obvious if I do decide to move back to Brasil with my husband for a few years if we want to come back I don't have to start the process all over to reacquire permanent residency, and also if we move away we can visit anytime without needing to apply for a visa (which is necessary for Brazilians). Even if we decide not to live in US permanently it is still desirable to naturalize.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.