Tricia599

DCF in Brazil - Rio Consulate - Experiences

30 posts in this topic

I had been going through this site and had not found much about DCF in Brazil (but the posts that are here are very helpful, so thanks to all!), so I have decided to post my own experiences. Maybe someone will find them useful in their situation.

DCF in Rio de Janeiro

We scheduled our visit via email with the Rio Consulate. The scheduling was pretty quick. Ours was scheduled for the week following the date I sent the scheduling email. While we were waiting, we got all of the documents we needed ready. The list of documents was on the Consulate website (http://www.embaixada-americana.org.br/index.php?action=materia&id=7261&submenu=consular.php&itemmenu=183).

Some pointers on the documentation listed that may be helpful. For my proof of residency, I used a copy of my protocol from the Federal Police here in Brazil, as I have a case pending for permanent residence based on marriage (that I will be abandoning with this move to the US). Also, for proof of relationship, we had photos dating back about 2.5 years, mail and email exchanges. However, no one ever asked to see it at this stage.

We get to the Consulate for our appointment. Ours was set for 1pm, and from what I can tell, they do it in groups – they schedule a group of people in the morning and a group in the afternoon. We got to the Consulate about 30 minutes early, but had to wait outside as they won’t let you in until 1pm. However, the guards are very nice and will inform you of where you need to be. The good thing is that you don’t have to wait in the big line for non-immigrant visas. If you are looking at the door to the Consulate, that is the line that goes to the right of the door. The line for the Immigrant visas goes to the left of the door and is considerably smaller. The bad part is was that this side of the building got the afternoon sun, so it was roasting hot. We chose to wait under the shade trees close by and then get in line at 1pm, as the line was so short anyway.

At 1pm, we got in line with about 10 other people. We were waiting for the Immigrant Visas section to say it was OK to send us up. About 1:15, the tell the guard to let us go up. So after checking our names on a piece of paper, he lets us in. We pass security, and then are told to head up to the second floor.

On the second floor, there is one room divided into two parts – American Consular Services and Immigrant Visas. The Immigrant Visa section is on the far side of the room near the windows. We went over to that side to sit down. There will be a sign telling you to take a number, but that is for the American Consular Services, not Immigrant Visas.

Maybe another 10-15 minutes after we sat down, the front desk person started handing out numbers. I’m not sure what this was based on – the order in which the interview was scheduled or the order we came in the door. In any case, my husband and I were last. But there is a TV tuned to Globo and a bunch of magazines and a water cooler, so it seems a bit more comfortable that downstairs in the non-immigrant section.

What happens next is a two step process. First, they call you into a little interview area in the front to collect your paperwork and to make sure everything is OK. If you have everything organized, this goes fairly quickly. We were in and out of this part in 10 minutes. We were given a ticket to pay the $355 fee downstairs, and once paid, we returned the receipt to the woman at the front desk of the immigration unit. Then we waited to be called by the second part, which is a mini-interview by a Consular official.

Once we were finally called to the second part, my husband and I sat down, again behind glass. The man asked us a few questions based on our application – how long we had known each other, when did we meet, when did we decide to get married, how did he propose, etc. We talked about this for a bit, with both my husband and I answering questions, and then the man typed out a summary of the conversation in his system. He read back to me his summary of our relationship.

At that point, he said our application was accepted, and the next step would be for the Consulate to send our application to the National Visa Center in the US, where they will assign a case number. Once that happens, they will notify us and we will schedule the second interview. And that was it.

The process was more time consuming that anything else. But nothing to get nervous about. We were a bit concerned as we had recently gone through the process for a tourist visa for my husband about 4 months prior (we did this in Sao Paulo), and that was 100 times more nerve-wracking than this.

I will keep updating this post as our process continues. Hopefully some will find it helpful. If I can provide any further information on this process or the trip in general, please let me know!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you! That was very helpful! I am just beginning to start this process -kinda! ;)

My fiancee and I had decided originally that we were going to go the K-1 route and try to go to the US; however, since I have been in Brasil for the past couple of months, I think that I would like to stay here for a year or so and then go to the US. Just for a bit of background -my fiancee and I have been living together in London and then Italy for the past 2 years. We were apart for 4 months while I was in the US from Sept-Dec 2008, but I have been in Brazil (SP) now for 2 months. I really like it here and think that I would like to stay for a while. Since I would like to stay, we were considering doing DCF instead of K-1. We haven't gotten married yet because I wanted to make sure that our plan would actually work before! We plan on getting married within the next couple of months.

First of all, we have to figure out how to file the paper work for us to get married here. I'm hoping that that will not be a huge deal -as it would be in the US... We will be finding out the information on that this week (although, if you have any information you can give me, that would be great!). I am here on a 6 month tourist visa -for the record. I am supposed to leave at the end of May.

Then the plan would be to live here for about a year before applying for DCF. If I am not mistaken I would have to be a legal resident for 6 months before we could apply, is this correct? Also, how soon after we are married do I become a "legal resident" -or at least a resident that would qualify for applying directly to the consulate.

Another concern I had is this: I was reading the guidelines for DCF and one paragraph confused me! It reads: "A US Citizen living overseas that wishes to complete the I-864 Affidavit of Support for their spouse (as part of the DCF process to get an Immigrant Visa) will be required to have a US home/domicile to qualify as a Sponsor for the I-864. In addition to having a US domicile the US Citizen must have continued employement when they move/return to the US. Per the instructions on the I-864, the US Citizen and their spouse's assets may be used to qualify if the income requiment is not met. In many cases however a couple may need to get a joint sponsor to successfully fulfill the requirements on the I-864."

-----

I do not think that I would qualify to complete the I-864 whether I was living in the US or Brazil (and especially not Brazil!). I think that no matter whether we applied DCF or K-1 or K-3, that I would still need to get a sponsor, as I do not make much money. The part that really confused me though was that the US citizen must have continued employement when they move/return to the US. Because I would have a sponsor anyway, does this mean I do not have to have continued employment? And how can they expect anyone living overseas to have continued employment in the US?

I have a BA in Anthropology and plan on getting my teachers certificate when I move back to the US. However, while I am here in Brasil I plan on teaching English (I am already giving private lessons actually).

Anyway, I apologize if this note is a bit confusing! I am just trying to find out all of the information I can before we decide anything for 100% certain!

Thanks for any help anyone can give!!

PS. Do you know how long it usually takes the US to complete the next part of your process after the first interview in Rio?

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
I had been going through this site and had not found much about DCF in Brazil (but the posts that are here are very helpful, so thanks to all!), so I have decided to post my own experiences. Maybe someone will find them useful in their situation.

Did you ever receive any specific advice that it was better to file DCF in Rio than to file the "normal" way? I'm trying to decide whether it's faster to do DCF in Brazil or file a K3.

Timeline
DCF is almost always faster. The K-3 can take up to a year from what I understand. DCF can be measured in a matter of months, sometimes only 1 or 2, depending on locale.

But remember, you have to be in resident of Brazil for at least 6 months before you can apply DCF! So, if you are in the US and your spouse is in Brazil, it depends! If you are willing to pack up and come to Brazil for 6 months, than most likely DCF will be much faster than K-3. BUT, if you aren't willing to make that move (for at least 6 months) then DCF is not available to you.

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

Hi Tricia , did you mean you petitioned I-130 and got approved the same day ?

I don't think it's instant approval. The NVC has to run the Adam Walsh Check first before the petition can be approved. It's quick though, mine came back in a week.

Good luck with the rest of your process Tricia599!

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

(I can't figure out how to quote, and am a bit too lazy to try, so I apologize for the mess here.)

dandkam: The approval for the I-130 is not instant. What happens instantly is that the Consulate will accept the filing (or approve the filing). Once they accept/approve the filing of the petition, that data goes to the US for further inspection. But, as Kaffy said, it is quick. We did our run to the Consualte on March 2nd, and we got an email this morning that the petition was approved, and the packet was sent to our home address. I wasn't expecting this until maybe June or so. Two weeks just blows my mind. I am hoping that scheduling the next interview will be as easy.

kaffy: Thanks! I appreciate your good wishes!

Timeline
(I can't figure out how to quote, and am a bit too lazy to try, so I apologize for the mess here.)

dandkam: The approval for the I-130 is not instant. What happens instantly is that the Consulate will accept the filing (or approve the filing). Once they accept/approve the filing of the petition, that data goes to the US for further inspection. But, as Kaffy said, it is quick. We did our run to the Consualte on March 2nd, and we got an email this morning that the petition was approved, and the packet was sent to our home address. I wasn't expecting this until maybe June or so. Two weeks just blows my mind. I am hoping that scheduling the next interview will be as easy.

Congratulations on getting the approval soo quickly! That keeps my spirits high for when we get there! Keep us updated on what happens! and Good luck!

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

ROC

DCF Process

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congratulations

[i know this is hard 0n every one who is in love needing to be with there love one, My heart hurts s0 bad becuase 0f this waiting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am going to DCF in Sao Paulo. My appointment is for May 26, 2009. My wife and I was married in Brazil. Like wise I will keep all updated as to when the interview is done. I have looked at all the forms that needs to be filled out before the interview in Rio, and they look like a nightmare. If anyone can give me some advise on the forms I would be grateful. If anyone has done the DCF before will they help me fill out the forms or do I have to do them my self and pray to the form god that they are right.?

I applied for my permanent visa here in Brazil at the Federal Police and it was a "walk in the park." I wish the US was at easy.

4/7/08 Meet for first time.

10/20/08 Married in Sao Paulo, Brazil

11/25/08 Applied for my permanent visa to say in Brazil

12/02/08 Picked up my Blue Work Book.

5/26/09 Go to Embassy in Sao Paulo to fill out the I-130 so my wife can immigrate to the US.

• 4 weeks later...

Tricia599, hi!

I've been living in Rio de Janeiro since 05/05/08. I'm from argentina but I moved here for work. I work for Petrobras. I live with my American fiance here. We both have a temporary residence visa V. He's my dependent so he doesn't work here.

I read in the Rio Embassy web site that even if the beneficiary of the US visa is not a Brazilian native, she can apply if she can proof the residency for more than 6 months. So, the residency won't be an issue and the fact that I'm from Argentina won't be an issue either.

I'm a little bit concerned about the affidavit of support. Can we use my salary and our asstes? Can you use a co-sponsor?

For the second interview, it is neccessary for my fiance to be here in Rio or only I have to go?

We are sending an e-mail with all the specific questions to the Rio Embassy, but if you know something about, I will appreciate anything you can tell me.

Can I leave the US after entering with the visa? or I have to stay or ask for an re-entry permit or advance parole or something?

Thank you so much for you help and congratulations!!!!!!

DCF is only for married couples, if you want to do DCF there you will have to get married first

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

DCF is only for married couples, if you want to do DCF there you will have to get married first

hi Kaffy,

we are deciding what is better, to get married here an apply DCF or the wait and get married in the US and apply fo visa k1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

regards

mariela

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.