reginaait

relocating to morroco after my husband gets his green card

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi everyone

after much work getting my husband here from Italy, we have both decided that our lives would be better in Marrakech Morroco. We have not filed yet for aos (green card) we are going to be doing that this month. we are wondering once my husband has the green card can he live in another country. the reason we want the card is so we can travel back to the states from morroco to visit my family. does anyone have an idea how this works.. thanks very much!!!

regina ait addi :innocent::innocent: a

Google "Maintaining Permanent Residency" for specifics - a PR/Green Card is (by definition) for Permanent Residents and is not a visitor's visa.

Failing to maintain residency can result in 'abandoning' one's residency resulting in the need to start the process all over (with a spousal visa this time) should you decide to move back to the US. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Green-card is for for a Lawful PERMANENT Resident of the USA. Notice I stressed the word PERMANENT?

Note, a green-card holder can leave the USA for up to 2 years, if they apply for a re-entry permit (File I-131), and maintains US domicile, such as file IRS returns every year, maintain a US mailing address, and other evidence that time away from USA was temporary.

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

• Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

• Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

• Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

• Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

• Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

Same question asked about 2 hours ago. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=182214&hl=

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline
hi everyone

after much work getting my husband here from Italy, we have both decided that our lives would be better in Marrakech Morroco. We have not filed yet for aos (green card) we are going to be doing that this month. we are wondering once my husband has the green card can he live in another country. the reason we want the card is so we can travel back to the states from morroco to visit my family. does anyone have an idea how this works.. thanks very much!!!

You can't live the country more then 6 monthes when you are a green card holder.if you leave and stay more then this time you are not able to comme back....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
hi everyone

You can't live the country more then 6 monthes when you are a green card holder.if you leave and stay more then this time you are not able to comme back....

thank you.. so after you become a citizen.. you can leave the us and live in another country.. How long does it take before you can become a citizen in the united states?

Timeline
thank you.. so after you become a citizen.. you can leave the us and live in another country.. How long does it take before you can become a citizen in the united states?
An LPR can apply for citizenship 3 years after becoming a green-card holder based on continous marriage to a US citizen. They need to reside in the USA for at least 18 months and cannot be out of the USA for longer than 6 months at a time.

MORE: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline
Not quite correct, a green-card holder can leave the USA for up to 2 years and maintain the green-card, they need to file an I-131 for a re-entry permit befor leaving the USA and use the permit to re-enter the USA.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline
hi everyone

This definitely not correct as I have family members that have stayed out of the USA for more than a year with a greencard, and they can re enter the country just fine. Now, they will tell you this is not recommended to do if you're trying to get your citizenship as it can come up in the interview. Don't have any advice on that, but I'm sure others can help.

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.