Where's your hometown?

825 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Upps sorry about #2

This is Masacrot Spring...

post-42755-1236244985_thumb.jpg

I will attach more photos next time. :thumbs:

Very pretty spots in your neck of the woods. I've never been to anywhere in Bicol; we hope to stop by there on my next trip to the PI.

Manong,pinarigat nak itatta nga aldaw ah?

Elpidio Quirino ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elpidio_Quirino

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I'm from Bacolod City and now living in Lake Oswego, Oregon with my husband who was born in California.

I see that you already got your visa. Is your baby coming over soon? It would be nice to talk and be friends with a fellow Ilongga here in the US.

My fiancée was born and raised in the "city of smiles", Bacolod City. Bacolod City is located in the province of Negros Occidental, on the island of Negros, in the Visayas.

I was born and raised in Seattle, Washington, in the great pacific northwest. I live in a pedestrian-friendly inner-city neighborhood...not too far from the University of Washington and the University Medical Center. Within six blocks of our home you will find a major grocery store, many shops of all types, two movie theaters, countless ethnic restaurants, numerous coffee shops, a post office, and more. Two things that we don't have in our neighborhood are a Filipino grocery store and a Filipino restaurant. If we want to eat at a Filipino restaurant or shop for Filipino food, we will need to go across town.

I have spent a little time living in the Iloilo/Bacolod area in the early 70s. And I remember those days when I have to take the Negros Navigation ferry between the two cities. Very idyllic, the ferry ride was! I wonder if your fiancee knows the Javellana family, who were my friends in Iloilo and Negros and were prominent sugar cane planters during that era. I also fell in love with a girl belonging to the Ledesma/Montinola clan. Sad to say, it did not last as my employer had to transfer me to Davao City. My heart was down, my head was turnin' around, I had to leave my girl in Jaro town! (With apologies to Harry Belafonte.)

Ah, Seattle, Wash., lovely place indeed! I like it, except that it probably rains too much and my arthritis worsens when the rain goes on and on. My job requires me to visit Seattle every now and then. I always stay at a hotel in Kirkland by Yarrow Point and as I drive on the floating bridge over Lake Washington, my heart quivers at the beauty and the greenery of the landscape. Water, water everywhere! You mentioned the University of Washington, the football stadium is quite a site from the bridge and the 520. I wonder if you live close to 45th Street, by the Safeco Tower.

Yep...Seattle is very wet, and that is what makes it so green. I love the moderate climate in this area and I hope my fiancée will get used to it and grow to enjoy it like I do.

We live near the Safeco Building in the U District, and I am familiar with Kirkland and Yarrow Point areas. Imagine the view of Lake Washington and the floating bridge from inside Husky Stadium! Many people cruise to the football games by boat. Also, when crossing either floating bridge on a clear day, there is a fabulous view of 14,410-foot Mt. Rainier.

I would love to have seen Bacolod in the 1970's! I will check with my fiancée to find out if she is familiar with the clans that you mentioned. Her family has lived in the area for generations. We will PM you with any details.

~ pangga

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, this is mariquita linda's fiance again.

Just a little something on my hometown of Guimba, Nueva Ecija (from pasyalan.net/nuevaecija):

Guimba was formerly a place of wilderness with virgin forests found in the north and south of the Binituan River. The vast plains north of this river was formerly a place where tall grasses grew, dotted by tall trees all over the area up to the place now called, San Andres. From this place northward to Talugtug, is a dense forest where bounty wildlife existed.

The original settlers mostly came from the Ilocos Region and Pangasinan. Having found the soil productive for agricultural purposes, the early settlers cleared the place, cut down the trees and burned vegetative growth. The trees were sawed into lumber out of which their houses were constructed. Apart from agriculture, the people also engaged in pot making because of the abundance of clay in some areas of the municipality. The process of hardening clay pots was more popularly called “Gebba” for thinking that the foreigners were asking what they were doing . The foreigners repeatedly pronounced Gebba with a nasalized accent “Ghembha” which later spread and became popular. The leaders then were convinced to call the municipality San Juan de Guimba by preserving the old name with the added popularized name the foreigners called the place.

On March 13, 1911, the Philippine Commission on Geography officially adopted the name San Juan de Guimba, which was later shortened and changed to “GUIMBA” hence, the name that until now is being used.

arizona_fi_huge_md_clr.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiancée was born and raised in the "city of smiles", Bacolod City. Bacolod City is located in the province of Negros Occidental, on the island of Negros, in the Visayas.

I was born and raised in Seattle, Washington, in the great pacific northwest. I live in a pedestrian-friendly inner-city neighborhood...not too far from the University of Washington and the University Medical Center. Within six blocks of our home you will find a major grocery store, many shops of all types, two movie theaters, countless ethnic restaurants, numerous coffee shops, a post office, and more. Two things that we don't have in our neighborhood are a Filipino grocery store and a Filipino restaurant. If we want to eat at a Filipino restaurant or shop for Filipino food, we will need to go across town.

I have spent a little time living in the Iloilo/Bacolod area in the early 70s. And I remember those days when I have to take the Negros Navigation ferry between the two cities. Very idyllic, the ferry ride was! I wonder if your fiancee knows the Javellana family, who were my friends in Iloilo and Negros and were prominent sugar cane planters during that era. I also fell in love with a girl belonging to the Ledesma/Montinola clan. Sad to say, it did not last as my employer had to transfer me to Davao City. My heart was down, my head was turnin' around, I had to leave my girl in Jaro town! (With apologies to Harry Belafonte.)

Ah, Seattle, Wash., lovely place indeed! I like it, except that it probably rains too much and my arthritis worsens when the rain goes on and on. My job requires me to visit Seattle every now and then. I always stay at a hotel in Kirkland by Yarrow Point and as I drive on the floating bridge over Lake Washington, my heart quivers at the beauty and the greenery of the landscape. Water, water everywhere! You mentioned the University of Washington, the football stadium is quite a site from the bridge and the 520. I wonder if you live close to 45th Street, by the Safeco Tower.

Yep...Seattle is very wet, and that is what makes it so green. I love the moderate climate in this area and I hope my fiancée will get used to it and grow to enjoy it like I do.

We live near the Safeco Building in the U District, and I am familiar with Kirkland and Yarrow Point areas. Imagine the view of Lake Washington and the floating bridge from inside Husky Stadium! Many people cruise to the football games by boat. Also, when crossing either floating bridge on a clear day, there is a fabulous view of 14,410-foot Mt. Rainier.

I would love to have seen Bacolod in the 1970's! I will check with my fiancée to find out if she is familiar with the clans that you mentioned. Her family has lived in the area for generations. We will PM you with any details.

~ pangga

My old man, AJAnTess, says that there is a lot of Filipino oldtimers in Seattle and there is also a Jose Rizal Park by the Beacon Hill area. Just wondering if he is just pulling my leg! I also wonder if your fiancee knows that here are really Javellana, Ledesma and Montinola clans in Bacolod/Iloilo, as my fiance brags about.

philippines-Flag.gifgolfer.gifcalifornia.gif

3014749141_d554587673.jpg

It is really a wonderland for nature trippers & water babies. I still remember skipping school for a swim in the river. Its been 12 years since I last visited my hometown; hopefully we can attend the family reunion in 2010. Two difficulties you're going to encounter are transportation & lodging, so book it in advance; better still, have plan B. And don't get caught in a typhoon (Febraury-May). :wow: ENJOY!

Hope this helps:

http://www.sorsogontourism.com/trip_ideas.htm

Very pretty spots in your neck of the woods. I've never been to anywhere in Bicol; we hope to stop by there on my next trip to the PI.

N-400 TIMELINE

06/06/12 * Naturalization Interview

04/30/12 * Received Interview Letter

04/04/12 * Biometrics

03/10/12 * Received NOA

03/03/12 * N-400 Submitted (AZ)

I-751 TIMELINE

05/18/11 * Received 10 yr Green Card

05/17/11 * Approved

04/04/11 * Biometrics Appointment done

03/21/11 * Received Bio Notice (03/15/11)

03/03/11 * Encashed check

03/01/11 * NOA1 receipt date

02/28/11 * I-751 submitted (CSC)

Continuation: The ecological tourist zone of Bulusan, Sorsogon (Bicol Region)

post-42755-1236382991_thumb.jpg

6. Town of Bulusan

N-400 TIMELINE

06/06/12 * Naturalization Interview

04/30/12 * Received Interview Letter

04/04/12 * Biometrics

03/10/12 * Received NOA

03/03/12 * N-400 Submitted (AZ)

I-751 TIMELINE

05/18/11 * Received 10 yr Green Card

05/17/11 * Approved

04/04/11 * Biometrics Appointment done

03/21/11 * Received Bio Notice (03/15/11)

03/03/11 * Encashed check

03/01/11 * NOA1 receipt date

02/28/11 * I-751 submitted (CSC)

Nagsisinnarak ti agkakaillianen,pakistan met ti bandera na manong?oppsss sorry for speaking taglish..hehehe

Ilocanlish i should say.. :)

Adda ngata diay Pakistan ti lakay na. I think she is the petitioner and her husband, Taj, is still in Pakistan. Anyway, welcome to this small world, Katrina!

HAHAHAHA...my husband is from pakistan...yes...pero nasa baguio na siya ngayon with my baby (yup..filipino-american-pakistani anak ko...ganda ng mix ano?) while they wait for the cr-1/ir-1...dun kasi parents ko ngayon and my sisters...AMERICAN BY BIRTH AND CITIZENSHIP BUT PINAY NA PINYA BY HEART ako!

MAN I WANT SOME EMPANADA AND UKOY!

Ganda talaga ng mix. Sigurado ako diyan. How about some Tupig and Chitcharon baboy? Adda pay ngata Ilocano ditoy manipud kenni AJ, RickyMJ, Besame mucho,Tajsamerican wife and yours truly, (RockynBullwinkle).

Nothing much to say about my hometown (ALicia Isabela). It's a rice farming town nestled between Santiago City and the land of the Dy Family (Cauayan Iabela). Ilocano, Ibanag, Itawis and Gaddang are the local dialects. I speak Ilocano only. :blush:

Manong AJ, did you and Senorita Teresita get married na ba? If so, congratulations! -- Bill and Marie

As far as I know, I'm still an unmarried widower and Tess ain't married nobody yet either! She still waiting for her sputum test results and I hope she gets a clean bill of health.

Empanada, ukoy, chicharron? How about sinanglao and kinilao nga kalding?

There are quite a few Ilocanos here on VJ, I know. Below are pictures of some Ilocanos that I have heard of, prides of Vigan, Ilocos Sur they are, although members of VJ they ain't. I won't tell you their names, but the one on the left was a rebel against Spain and the one on the right was his missus. And the man in the middle, a province has been named after him. If you know who they are, tell us, please.

DiegoSilang.jpgelpidio-quirino-1.jpggsilang.gif

Diego Silang, Elpidio Quirino, Gabriela Silang? Go go go Gabriela! Wow kinilaw na kalding, nagimas met ngem mas kayat ko caldereta nga kalding manong. MJ, Google it please. I am not sure about the guy in the middle. Thanks.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Hi Marie good evening:)bigat ditoy..and we just had our breakfast, check my post at # 92 it's Elpidio Quirino our sixth president...

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Marie good evening:)bigat ditoy..and we just had our breakfast, check my post at # 92 it's Elpidio Quirino our sixth president...

To Mj and Marie, dios ti agngina kadacayo a dua. Diego Silang, Gabriela Silang & Elpidio Quirino must be very proud in their graves that we have remembered them!

Mj, I'm sorry that I had to let you to do a little homework yesterday. Marie, I think that your hometown of Alicia was named after Pres. Quirino's wife, Alcia Syquia Quirino. Am I correct?

To Mj and Marie, dios ti agngina kadacayo a dua. Diego Silang, Gabriela Silang & Elpidio Quirino must be very proud in their graves that we have remembered them!

Mj, I'm sorry that I had to let you to do a little homework yesterday. Marie, I think that your hometown of Alicia was named after Pres. Quirino's wife, Alcia Syquia Quirino. Am I correct?

From Wikipedia:

Alicia used to be the old town of Angadanan[1] until the new Angadanan was relocated in 1776 to its current location near the Angadanan Creek. Alicia is known for its old Castilian architectural church as tourists destination. Passing by Angadanan town on February 12, 1805, Fr. Manuel Mora, OP wrote that “Angadanan has a convent of bricks, though not totally finished. Its church is timber, wood and bamboo. The number of inhabitants is 791.” Fr. Tomas Calderon (OP) started building the present church that was inaugurated in 1849 and dedicated to the Nuestra Senora de Atocha, more popularly known as Our Lady of Atocha. The old Angadanan was renamed in 1949 in honor of then President Elpidio Quirino’s wife: Dona Alicia Syquia Quirino.

Hi MJ. Kumusta? Wen manong ko. Madik ammo nga nainagan gayam kanya na ti Alicia Isabela. Dios ti Agngina. Ditoy nak nga nagiskwela idi elementary saka highschool (School of Our Lady of Atocha). :)

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

My old man, AJAnTess, says that there is a lot of Filipino oldtimers in Seattle and there is also a Jose Rizal Park by the Beacon Hill area. Just wondering if he is just pulling my leg! I also wonder if your fiancee knows that here are really Javellana, Ledesma and Montinola clans in Bacolod/Iloilo, as my fiance brags about.

Yup, these clans exist, and have some batchmates too in college.

Hi, I'm from Bacolod City and now living in Lake Oswego, Oregon with my husband who was born in California.

I see that you already got your visa. Is your baby coming over soon? It would be nice to talk and be friends with a fellow Ilongga here in the US.

I am coming home to my fiance very soon...Malapit na.

We can meet sometime once I get there.

Diin ka di sa Bacolod?

~Baby

From Wikipedia:

Alicia used to be the old town of Angadanan[1] until the new Angadanan was relocated in 1776 to its current location near the Angadanan Creek. Alicia is known for its old Castilian architectural church as tourists destination. Passing by Angadanan town on February 12, 1805, Fr. Manuel Mora, OP wrote that “Angadanan has a convent of bricks, though not totally finished. Its church is timber, wood and bamboo. The number of inhabitants is 791.” Fr. Tomas Calderon (OP) started building the present church that was inaugurated in 1849 and dedicated to the Nuestra Senora de Atocha, more popularly known as Our Lady of Atocha. The old Angadanan was renamed in 1949 in honor of then President Elpidio Quirino’s wife: Dona Alicia Syquia Quirino.

Hi MJ. Kumusta? Wen manong ko. Madik ammo nga nainagan gayam kanya na ti Alicia Isabela. Dios ti Agngina. Ditoy nak nga nagiskwela idi elementary saka highschool (School of Our Lady of Atocha). :)

Hi Marie (Katukaya)okey Kami laeng met,nakapudpudot ditoy manila,we are planning to go beach hopping again for maybe a week or so...

Kay manong AJ,okey laeng manong,it just took me sometime to google ngamin kanayon met nga manginterrupt ni Antonyo...:P

"Our Wedding Prayer"

I am from Davao City, Philippines and my husband Tom is from New Jersey. We currently live in Avondale Arizona. My mother is from Leyte and my father is from Zamboanga. The City of Davao is the largest city on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. It is also one of the Philippines' most progressive cities. Metro Davao can also be dubbed as The City of Royalties or The Royal City, because of the presence of the kings and queens of nature present in Davao. The Queen of Philippine Orchids which is Waling-waling, the King of Exotic Fruits, which is Durian, The King and Grandfather of Philippine mountains, Mt. Apo, the largest eagle in the world and the King of Philippine skies which is the Philippine Eagle.

Thank you for reading,

Bituin :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.