moondancer627

Would you buy this car?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I found a sweet little 96 Honda DX hatchback at a private dealer. The guys seem like decent, honest dealers.

It has 120,000 miles. The dealer wants to sell it for 4,480, blue book is at 5,440 .

It's in mint condition.

Nice paint job, clean interior, ect.

The only thing wrong is a non- Honda air conditioner someone replaced. So basically if the air goes no replacement part from Honda.

Other than that it has minor issues such as a rear end alignment, transmission fluid change and maybe a timing belt.

Ihave great Honda mechanics and I am not worried about this car.

It also has a one year warrenty for major repairs so I can get those things fixed under the warrenty.

What do you think?

Moondancer

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Get a lemon-check done before buying it; there are independent places that do that in almost every city. The thing I would be most worried about is rust on the chassis. Also, if you're worried about the timing belt and other minor issues ask the dealer to take care of that before you buy the car. There's no reason for him not to do that if he wants to sell it.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

alignment, $50. transmission fluid change, about 100, timing belt, no idea on. but in the range of about 200.

i've run it on another site for value, sounds like a good value but get a mechanic to check it out.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Timeline

I've owned four Hondas and kept them all ages. One I totaled with over 100000 miles on it and it had never had anything replaced on it! My last one is still being driven by my ex-husband and as far as I know all it ever has had done to it is a new muffler. It should be well past 150000 miles now (1992).

I don't understand why the timing belt would need replaced on this car at 120000. That's an expensive repair/maintenance issue as it involves getting to the front of the motor - you pay more for the mechanics time than the parts. And I don't know why the rear end would need an alignment unless its been wrecked.

Ask your mechanic about after market air. If installed properly I wouldn't think it would matter much. Perhaps the car was not equipped with air from the factory. If the original invoice is in the glovebox you can easily tell.

The VIN number can tell you a lot about the original equipment of a car. Your insurance agent might be able to help you out there. Insurance companies have a national database of all vehicles by VIN number. It tells them all about the car as it came from the factory.

Filed: Timeline
I found a sweet little 96 Honda DX hatchback at a private dealer. The guys seem like decent, honest dealers.

It has 120,000 miles. The dealer wants to sell it for 4,480, blue book is at 5,440 .

It's in mint condition.

Nice paint job, clean interior, ect.

The only thing wrong is a non- Honda air conditioner someone replaced. So basically if the air goes no replacement part from Honda.

Other than that it has minor issues such as a rear end alignment, transmission fluid change and maybe a timing belt.

Ihave great Honda mechanics and I am not worried about this car.

It also has a one year warrenty for major repairs so I can get those things fixed under the warrenty.

What do you think?

Moondancer

Seems like you are doing the selling of the car instead of the dealer. NOT sure if it's a great deal, speakinfg as a former car dealer myself. High miles, non factory air etc. This is a $3500 car all day long

IF I had a gun held top my head. Check around before you lay out your cash. This

Really nice car dealer will quickly become a real pig after you hand him your cash.

If I lived in Arizona and was contemplating buying a car with an AC unit that is likely unrepairable if it went out, I wouldn't have to contemplate much longer.

I'd have to pass.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

It sounds a little high. If you could get them to do the repairs for you, then drop it down to about $4,000 (like $3995) it would be OK. Anything short of that, I'd keep looking.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

One more thing: I am holding the "Blue Book Used Car Guide" in my hands, 80th edition for 1991-2005 model cars and trucks and here is what it says about mileage on pg 13:

ACCEPTABLE MILEAGE RANGES

The following are acceptable mileage ranges for each model year. They do not represent the average miles driven. Rather, they represent as accepted mileage range as demonstrated by market research. It a vehicle's mileage range is outside the accepted range, dollar adjustments may be necessary.

YEAR ACCEPTABLE MILEAGE RANGE

1991-1992 99000-104000

1993 95000-100000

1994 92000-97000

1995 89000-94000

1996 86000-91000

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Go to NADA and run it through you will find average low is around 3.1k and high sell price is 4.8k. Off the bat you have several repairs to make. I would definetly give him an offer of no more than 3,500, especially if you are paying cash. Not sure why these repairs need to fall under warranty, the dealer should have the repairs done before you even purchase it. Since he is obviously admitting the car needs repairs, he shouldn't be asking a price on the high end of the scale. Try looking in an Auto trader, you will probably get a better deal from an individual rather than a crock of poo poo from a salesman trying to make a commission based on what he can get out of the car.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

That blue book value is for a car in EXCELLENT condition. Frankly I'd be surprised if that car even is considered "good" condition (heck, my Sundance had its timing belt replaced about 120,000; I'd expect much better from a Honda). Go to http://www.kbb.com and plug in the exact specs including the exact equipment it has and use the "determine condition" thing where it asks you the condition of all sorts of things before it tells you the value.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Doesnt sound that great of a deal. Agree what the others have stated. You can find a better deal on a Honda elsehwere. You stated you have great honda mechanics then why not find a private sale, and prior to purchasing take it to your mechanic for a look over. I did that when I bought one used car. Many garages do that and its not terribly $$, and gives you peace of mind. Usually find better deals privately then one does at a dealership. Many find more at ease buying at a dealership, but look around, lot of great deals privately. best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

sounds pretty steep to me, do some more shopping, or at very least have a disinterested mechanic have a look at it, and have the dealer make all repairs before you sign anything.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
One more thing: I am holding the "Blue Book Used Car Guide" in my hands, 80th edition for 1991-2005 model cars and trucks and here is what it says about mileage on pg 13:

The following are acceptable mileage ranges for each model year. They do not represent the average miles driven. Rather, they represent as accepted mileage range as demonstrated by market research. It a vehicle's mileage range is outside the accepted range, dollar adjustments may be necessary.

1991-1992 99000-104000

1993 95000-100000

1994 92000-97000

1995 89000-94000

1996 86000-91000

i'm finding that a bit difficult to believe, as the 96 camaro i have is just under 94k. that's an average of 9400 miles for 10 years. the yearly average on a car is about 10-12k a year.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

1991-1992 99000-104000

1993 95000-100000

1994 92000-97000

1995 89000-94000

1996 86000-91000

i'm finding that a bit difficult to believe, as the 96 camaro i have is just under 94k. that's an average of 9400 miles for 10 years. the yearly average on a car is about 10-12k a year.

Just a quote from the good book. Take it for what its worth.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.