Alpha1978

Finding job??

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I have been in Tx like 6 months now and received my EAD in april ,and did numerous job aplications and now I am even trying jobs like grocery store cashier or food clerk(whatever pretty much) and still getting turned down and dont even know why???

If it was just for the fact that I dont have any experiance in that field how come they are hiring highschool kids for those same jobs applied for?

Does anyone know where the problem is and what one could do?

Would calling croatian embassy do any good??

Im getting really frustrated now.Also if it is for a fact that they cant check my employment history and references since since all that is overseas - how will I ever have any history if noone will give me a job to start with??

This is crazy...Does anyone have similar experiance with this or is it just me???

05/04/2009 - 10 year Green Card arrived!

11/4/2011 - N 400 Sent to Dallas Office

11/20/2011 - NOA Arrived

11/26/2012 - Biometrics Appointment

12/12/2011 - Interview Letter

01/12/2012 - Interview Completed

--/--/---- - Oath Letter

02/27/2012 - Oath Ceremony

" I have had dreams, and I've had nightmares. I overcame the nightmares because of my dreams"

Filed: Timeline
I have been in Tx like 6 months now and received my EAD in april ,and did numerous job aplications and now I am even trying jobs like grocery store cashier or food clerk(whatever pretty much) and still getting turned down and dont even know why???

If it was just for the fact that I dont have any experiance in that field how come they are hiring highschool kids for those same jobs applied for?

Im getting really frustrated now.Also if it is for a fact that they cant check my employment history and references since since all that is overseas - how will I ever have any history if noone will give me a job to start with??

This is crazy...Does anyone have similar experiance with this or is it just me???

try using word of mouth. ask your friends what places are hiring. start there...

shon.gif

Timeline

I have..Even plp i met on the bus stops and stuff like that.And my husbands friends are mostly teachers like he is and i dont know nothing about that nor i fit the requirements.I just keep getting "I am sorry you are not what we are looking for" or I just dont hear from them.And I also dont have no criminal records nor drugs use in my past not even a speeding ticket??

try using word of mouth. ask your friends what places are hiring. start there...

11/20/2011 - NOA Arrived

--/--/---- - Oath Letter

" I have had dreams, and I've had nightmares. I overcame the nightmares because of my dreams"

oh i know that feling :huh:

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

I have..Even plp i met on the bus stops and stuff like that.And my husbands friends are mostly teachers like he is and i dont know nothing about that nor i fit the requirements.I just keep getting "I am sorry you are not what we are looking for" or I just dont hear from them.And I also dont have no criminal records nor drugs use in my past not even a speeding ticket??

say if your walking around the mall.. ask people at the counters if they are hiring.

shon.gif

Timeline

I am in Garland.Where are you from?

Just curious: where are you in Texas? I'm in Dallas.

That too..been doing that ever since i got my EAD.If I atleast knew what could be the real reason why they r turning me down :(

say if your walking around the mall.. ask people at the counters if they are hiring.

11/20/2011 - NOA Arrived

--/--/---- - Oath Letter

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Maybe they think you are OVER qualified for the position - they might be afraid that you will leave as soon as something better comes along. What does your resume look like? Maybe you have to tailor it to suit the area/job market.

Have you tried temporary placement agents? I am a big fan of temp agencies, because they can get you placements that lead to fantastic permanent jobs after you work with the company a little while and they try you out, so to speak.

Whatever you do, don't give up. Keep on knocking and a door will open. They say you are supposed to send out 100 applications to get 10 responses or something like that. So keep filling out the applications; don't despair.

PS What did you do in your home country?

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

I concur on the comment that it might be less to do with you and your qualifications and more on the job market being tight at this time, all over the US, it seems. Bear in mind that when this is the case, an employer has a wealth of candidates to select from. There's no sense of urgency for them, and so they can take their sweet time, looking, and not making any decisions, knowing that when they are up against a wall and can't hold out anymore, someone will walk in.

Although not for typical hourly jobs, but in the general sense the process for an employer to prepare an employee, from hire to when they are fully-entrenched, is a significant cost. They have to weigh the pros of getting a superbly qualified person who can do the job with minimal intervention, with the cons of knowing, intuitively, in such a down-turned market, that chances are the person will jump ship when a better opportunity presents itself. I suggest the more doors you knock on, the better your chances.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Try going to your local Better Business Bureau. (BBB, look up their number in the phone book.) Or maybe even the chamber of commerce in your area. Often these places have jobs available to anyone, or if you're really having trouble getting hired for something like "grocery clerk" then they would be able to look into why you're not being hired. (Anti-discrimination type things.)

If you really, really, need a job... there are plenty here in Cincinnati!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah if you're having a real hard time I would go the head hunter agency route.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Honestly?

I don't know much about Garland Texas....but..... It could be the fact that you're from Croatia. Discrimination is still alive and well. Not saying that's what it is, but it does happen. Especially in service industry jobs if your English is poor or your accent is strong. It isn't right, but businesses listen to their customers.

Or, it could just be that there aren't any jobs. Getting a reply of "We're looking for a differently qualified person" however, tells me that probably isn't the case.

Just my opinion.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

I am in Garland.Where are you from?

Just curious: where are you in Texas? I'm in Dallas.

I moved to Dallas from New Orleans in '89. Anyway, I know that you probably have but I'll ask anyway: have you applied at Target? I don't know if it's typical for most Targets but the one where I shop seems to have a lot of Eastern Europeans employed there.