william_wallace

Internet, Phone, Cable or Satellite

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
We too needed something that wouldn't rape us.. if calling back home! We're that interested in TV apart from the weather now and then.. most of what we need or want to watch can be found online or via netflix!

We have basic cable TV from Comcast around $11, Vonage unlimited calls North America and most of Europe + we rent a number in Ireland (people back home can call us in Florida like it's a local call) from them all in is $38 inc taxes. Also have Comcast internet that went from 8MB to 6MB without us being told?.. that's around $45 per month. I'd switch to DSL if we could then we'd be stuck with a phone company and a bunch of extra charges for something we don't use. Everything is around $94 or there about for Basic cable, 6MB internet and unlimited calls to North America and Europe.

Not that bad considering we where paying just the phone company before $70 a month before we even made a call!

Lucky you @ limited basic. My local Comcast is charging me 18.99 for limited basic. They told me that if I wanted internet, I could get it for 59.99 alone or 42.95 with another service. The cheapest service is limited basic which makes my total still around $60. :wacko: I would go somewhere else, but they are literally the only internet provider to my apartment complex. I don't live in the middle of nowhere, so I have no idea what is up with that.

We don't need home phone service. We use Skype for long distance/international calls, but mostly just chat on the internet to family and friends.

Edited by Wacken

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
AT&T the slowest basic internet DSL 19.95 - no voice necessary.

If you go online to AT&T, you can get it for $10/mo for the first year.

There are several stipulations with this one but we don't qualify. We don't have land line. With really basic AT&T landline (local calls + caller ID), it adds up to $40. That's $20 per month more for something we don't use

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
My fiance has a package with Time Warner in which she has Internet, phone and cable. The cost for this is $149 (A bit expensive I think)

Can anyone recommend which is better cable or satellite? I was thinking of going to Direct tv for satellite and Vonage for the phone provider as they offer a good rate for $29.99 which includes free calls for the UK. Just need a decent ISP.

I have embark for internet ( and it is almost as fast as cable and is always on no connecting each time like dial up service running at 100 mbps)and home phone but only use the internet part the cost is 29 a month I have satellite for tv the cost depends on how many channels you want starting at 19.95 a month for my Phone service I use italkbb the cost is 25 a month and I can call to china as many times as i want and she can call me anytime she wants with the free local number they provide . the I talkbb phone service is for unlimited number of calls for only 25 a month we can talk all night and the cost stays the same . I know after feb 27 ( that is when she comes here from China ) it will save us a lot of money and still let her call her friends and family daily and let them call her without being charged for long distance all for only 25 dollars a month . good luck

we use Time Warner...

we got rid of our cable but kept our internet.. it is cable internet and we pay $45/month..... nowadays you can watch most stuff on your computer anyways..

and then we have Vonage for our phone and we pay $30.76/month and that includes taxes...

Marilyn,

Is that (TW) Road Runner Internet for $45 per month? What is the bandwidth? We pay 29.95 per month for "up to 7mbps", which is very fast with 2 computers running simultaneously.

Is CA that much more expensive?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
we use Time Warner...

we got rid of our cable but kept our internet.. it is cable internet and we pay $45/month..... nowadays you can watch most stuff on your computer anyways..

and then we have Vonage for our phone and we pay $30.76/month and that includes taxes...

Marilyn,

Is that (TW) Road Runner Internet for $45 per month? What is the bandwidth? We pay 29.95 per month for "up to 7mbps", which is very fast with 2 computers running simultaneously.

Is CA that much more expensive?

we have Road Runner Standard (Speed: 6M x512K) (Download speeds up to 7 Mbps)

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Our rip-off provider, wildblue, charges us 160 bucks a month for business satellite ADSL. 1.5MB down, 256Kbps up. Extortionate, but we have no other choice out here in the sticks. DirectTV, don't know the monthly cost as I don't pay the bill.

- OUR TIMELINE -

04/25/08 - sent I-130 to Chicago lockbox

05/05/08 - received NOA1, assigned to VSC

11/07/08 - transferred to CSC

12/16/08 - NOA2 by email - I-130 approved

12/20/08 - NOA2 in mail - 240 days

12/22/08 - NVC receive package

01/05/09 - we receive AOS Bill and DS-3032

02/12/09 - medical 04th Mar 2009 - NVC Complete - 314 days

04/28/09 - interview passed - 370 days

06/20/09 - visa arrived by courier

06/21/09 - POE Dallas Fort-Worth - 398 days to gain permanent residence (CR-1)

02/22/11 - Sent I-765 to Vermont Service Center

03/03/11 - Received receipt for I-765

04/04/11 - AOS interview and biometrics in Oklahoma City - took all of 20 minutes, no sweat

Currently waiting on my 10-year Green Card - Best wishes to everyone going through their journey!

Our rip-off provider, wildblue, charges us 160 bucks a month for business satellite ADSL. 1.5MB down, 256Kbps up. Extortionate, but we have no other choice out here in the sticks. DirectTV, don't know the monthly cost as I don't pay the bill.

:o

I have Dish with about everything you can get and it runs around a hundred a month

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

It's just our internet that is $160. We have pretty much everything on Dish Network too (confused now...directTV = dish network right?), so at a guess 100 bucks also then.

- OUR TIMELINE -

04/25/08 - sent I-130 to Chicago lockbox

05/05/08 - received NOA1, assigned to VSC

11/07/08 - transferred to CSC

12/16/08 - NOA2 by email - I-130 approved

12/20/08 - NOA2 in mail - 240 days

12/22/08 - NVC receive package

01/05/09 - we receive AOS Bill and DS-3032

02/12/09 - medical 04th Mar 2009 - NVC Complete - 314 days

04/28/09 - interview passed - 370 days

06/20/09 - visa arrived by courier

06/21/09 - POE Dallas Fort-Worth - 398 days to gain permanent residence (CR-1)

02/22/11 - Sent I-765 to Vermont Service Center

03/03/11 - Received receipt for I-765

04/04/11 - AOS interview and biometrics in Oklahoma City - took all of 20 minutes, no sweat

Currently waiting on my 10-year Green Card - Best wishes to everyone going through their journey!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Saw this http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp advertised on TV, suppose to cost about 20 bucks per year, but I think you have to have a computer that is turned on and on the internet to use it.

Getting an internet capable computer isn't bad, with one less than a couple of years old, people will pay me to take it so they don't have to pay a recycling charge. But not sure if you can get on the internet for free. Unless you live in an apartment building and have an rf link to swipe use of your neighbors. Know of people doing that. Ha, with a drill and a coax, could also tap into his cable TV.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Saw this http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp advertised on TV, suppose to cost about 20 bucks per year, but I think you have to have a computer that is turned on and on the internet to use it.

Getting an internet capable computer isn't bad, with one less than a couple of years old, people will pay me to take it so they don't have to pay a recycling charge. But not sure if you can get on the internet for free. Unless you live in an apartment building and have an rf link to swipe use of your neighbors. Know of people doing that. Ha, with a drill and a coax, could also tap into his cable TV.

yeah your computer has to be on at all times or the phone won't work... and I have heard some bad reviews about it.. but other people say it works good..

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What we do with MagicJack is we turn it on during the day. When its time to go sleep we shut down the computer and MagicJack is off but anyone who calls goes into voice mail and it gets forwarded to my email. We have AT&T cellphone in case of emergency calls to and from family members. We have been using it for a year now and so far I have no complaints.

Edited by raquel_1208

05/18/07 married

05/29/07 sent I-130s for me & my daughter at CSC

06/16/07 checks for I-130 cashed

06/19/07 sent I-129F not waiting for noa1 but with printed online copies of checks cashed

06/25/07 check for I-129f cashed

06/29/07 transferred I-129f to CSC

07/03/07 received noa1 in the mail for I-129f

10/31/07 approved K3 and my I-130 except for my daughter

11/05/07 received NOA2 in the mail

12/01/07 received mail from NVC/yey we got our case number

12/20/07 went to St. Lukes and had my early medical exam

01/30/08 schedule for medical

02/07/08 interview, approved!

02/12/08 visa pick-up/cfo

02/14/08 POE-LAX

06/19/08 AOS mailed thru USPS

06/22/08 AOS delivered to Chicago IL

06/28/08 check cashed

06/30/08 received NOA1 dated 06/25/08

07/26/08 biometrics appointment

09/09/08 received EAD card in the mail

12/03/08 received interview letter for Jan 21 2009

01/21/09 approved for conditional permanent residence

02/02/09 permanent residence card arrived in the mail

10/21/10 submit form to remove conditions

01/21/11 10 year gc received

03/05/12 mailed my N-400

03/06/12 received email that they have my N-400

04/05/12 biometrics

Filed: Timeline
What we do with MagicJack is we turn it on during the day. When its time to go sleep we shut down the computer and MagicJack is off but anyone who calls goes into voice mail and it gets forwarded to my email. We have AT&T cellphone in case of emergency calls to and from family members. We have been using it for a year now and so far I have no complaints.

:thumbs:

Ditto. We love our magic jack. Never have issues with it. Plus we have sent one overseas to family and they can call us like its a local call. Awesome!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
holy #######. We are being completely overcharged by Com-effing-cast :protest:

We pay about 160 monthly for internet+cable+phone. #######. I am sooooooo changing our providers pronto.

this is a great thread.

Did your "trial period" end? The things I would be most concerned about are

1. Trail periods, when does the promotion end, and how much will it cost

2. Contractual agreements. Are you locked in to a certain package? Can you cancel at any time?

3. Actual programming. "Sure I have 200 channels, are half of them public access?"

4. Local channels Are they included?

I hope this helps! :)