saran

How to continue college education in USA

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am a student of Bsc Engineering and my family is going to be immigrated very soon.All of us are immgrating to the U.S.

My problem is that i am in the thrid year of my degree program(6th semester) which started this february.so,in case we immigrate how can i continue my eduacation there in america?

is there any help for people like me.

i mean do i have to take TOEFL and SAT for get myself migrated to a US college or university?

or the matter that my university is accredited to accreditition body and higher education commision of the country can help me continue my study from where i left.

please suggeest me a website or a forum where people like me can discuss and get information from.

thanks a lot.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for programs in your area and contact the faculty advisor for further information.

You will more than likely need to get your academic transcript evaluated, that way the admissions office can determine which courses you are eligible to receive credit in, and which ones are still missing.

And if you were educated in a language other than English I'm pretty sure you need to sit the TOEFL(?)

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

i recieved my education in english right from the 6th grade.

and english is the only language we are taught in during the entire degree program.

thanks for your help.

we are moving to herndon,VA.so, can anybody help me with the nearest engineering college?

awaiting your help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Depending on your school and immigration status you may be charged as an international student. It might be cheaper if you get state residency (living 1 year in state) then apply, the tuition would be cheaper. The most important thing is to identify a few colleges, universities then work out the details with them. Some schools are more flexible than others.

Timeline

reeses16 i m not in any school anymore.i m in university.

can you please suggest me some college or if there is any relative of yours in a colege

let me know his contact number so i can directly talk with him.

or his/her yahoo

thanks

i am desparate for more information but on the internet there is not much information for people like me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I'll tell you what I did, you can check if this is available in your area:

-Signed up for community college. I had to take a test on English and math for leveling (I payed $10)

-They evaluated my foreign transcripts, with excellent results. Much better than the private foreign transcript evaluation services out there. Evaluation services were free.

-Take courses that you know you'll need, like English composition 1 and 2, US History, US government (all standard included in all curriculum for all degrees)

-Then look to transfer into a 4 year college to finish the rest of your degree

Good Luck!

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Timeline

JVKn'CVO i need for information.

do u know a guy who had to go through the same situation as i have to?

i need for information.

my email is saran920@yahoo.com

please tell me your email or i will find it from the information you have provided in your profile.

cant i go directly to a university without having to go to a college(community college)??

how long i will have to study at community college???

google: US Colleges/Universities - degrees (electrical, mechanical, civil... engineering)

then once you get the results go to the websites of the listed colleges - usually each department has its own web site

then see the list of professors and staff - then contact the department assistant and see what you would need to continue your education at their institution taking into consideration courses you took so far - you may need to have your courses evaluated to get their equivalent to US standards.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
JVKn'CVO i need for information.

do u know a guy who had to go through the same situation as i have to?

i need for information.

my email is saran920@yahoo.com

please tell me your email or i will find it from the information you have provided in your profile.

cant i go directly to a university without having to go to a college(community college)??

how long i will have to study at community college???

Saran,

Yes, of course you can apply directly! You don't have to go to community college if you don't want to. Some people use it to save money (CC in my area is $50/ credit hour while for example, University of Texas is $1200/ credit hour) and in my case it gave me the best worth for my previous earned credit that transfers directly to any 4 year college in Texas. But again, not mandatory :)

I'll give you an example on what I would have had to do had I gone that route, but keep in mind different colleges have different application processes. This may be different for you so the best you can do is look for colleges in the area where you will be that offer the degree you are working on and get in touch with them to find out about their application process.

*Before leaving your country -> Bring detailed college transcripts (the long version), degree plan, and programs detailing the contents of each course you have taken. Don't forget high school degree as well!. I was asked for my last high school report card as well so look up what you will need (requirements vary country to country) before getting on that flight so you have no surprises :star:

*After arriving -> Take the TOEFL

*Have your transcripts translated into English

*Have your transcripts evaluated for US equivalence. Most colleges request an evaluation from a member of the NACES.org

*Apply for the school you are interested in. This may include presenting earned credits, a work resume, having an admissions interview and doing an essay, etc.

You can google things like "college finder" or "degree in xx + (State)" and look up colleges in your area. Here's an example

college search

Good Luck!,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Timeline

thanks for all the information

it seems as if its hard to continue education in USA.

here education is inexpensive if you are in a public university.

i will keep asking questions.so, i hope you will stay in touch

thanks a lot

Saran which uni are you studying in Pakistan? If it is a private one then transferring credits is going to be difficult. Some uni's in USA accept credits from Public Uni's in Pakistan (e.g. UET). You will have to apply to variety of uni's in USA to hedge your bet. There are very good uni's in VA. I think the closest one to you would be George Mason Uni.

Let me know if you need more help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.