35 posts in this topic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

omg!

i m studying in UET Taxila and its a public university.

I think i need a lot of information from you frali.

hope u stay in touch.

but these days i m really busy

omg!

i m studying in UET Taxila and its a public university.

I think i need a lot of information from you frali.

hope u stay in touch.

but these days i m really busy

Timeline

if anybody wantto share his/her experience or thinks that his idea would b better please tell me.thanks.i dont want this thread ended.it can help more people like me.so please keep posting.your experience or your relative's experiencecan be very helpul.

thanks

if anybody wantto share his/her experience or thinks that his idea would b better please tell me.thanks.i dont want this thread ended.it can help more people like me.so please keep posting.your experience or your relative's experiencecan be very helpul.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

hie Saran

well,i am also from Pakistan,and what i did was i brought all of my transcripts and all from school to college to uni over here,if u r in 3rd year,so complete the semeter if u can and then ask to college to make a bonofied student and transfer student transcript to you with all the subject listings that u have studied and all

u dont need to translate ur transcripts in english since in pak all the transcripts are already in english.

then apply to different uni's in US,they will evaluate ur transcripts themselves,free of cost,then they will let u know what courses u need to take and how many years are u ahead of ur bachelors.

then if u want,u can take as many classes as possible in community college.i will suggest u to take as many classes as u can in community college,since they are very less expensive,and why pay 1500$ for a course in uni when u can take it in community college for 50$

then finally u transfer all the transcripts from community college to uni and get a degree from uni

i know its very complicated,but this is how it works over here,u will get to know when u will come here,for now,dont stress out and take TOEFL from pak if u can,incase u need it:)

i hope this is gonna help u:)

7238.gif

6995.gif

8468.gif

10206.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
hie Saran

well,i am also from Pakistan,and what i did was i brought all of my transcripts and all from school to college to uni over here,if u r in 3rd year,so complete the semeter if u can and then ask to college to make a bonofied student and transfer student transcript to you with all the subject listings that u have studied and all

u dont need to translate ur transcripts in english since in pak all the transcripts are already in english.

then apply to different uni's in US,they will evaluate ur transcripts themselves,free of cost,then they will let u know what courses u need to take and how many years are u ahead of ur bachelors.

then if u want,u can take as many classes as possible in community college.i will suggest u to take as many classes as u can in community college,since they are very less expensive,and why pay 1500$ for a course in uni when u can take it in community college for 50$

then finally u transfer all the transcripts from community college to uni and get a degree from uni

i know its very complicated,but this is how it works over here,u will get to know when u will come here,for now,dont stress out and take TOEFL from pak if u can,incase u need it:)

I am actually a University admissions advisor in New York and I work for a Private school.

It is going to depend on what you want ultimately. If you want an engineering bachelors degree then you will want to find that program which matches your previous studies the best. The quality of education varies wildly in the US so do your research on the schools you are interested in. If you just want to finish as quick as possible then just find the school that will accept the most transfer credit. This will enable you to get a US bachelors degree faster (trust me, US companies do not value education from outside its own borders even if it is better). Then you can pursue a Masters degree if you choose to.

As for just going to a community college because it is cheaper....well... see my earlier point. "The quality of education varies wildly". Do your research. Some, not many community colleges are fine but most do not offer a great education. You are better off at a private or state school that has a good reputation and a track record for getting its graduates employed. If you want to be an engineer then make sure that the degree you are ultimately awarded is respected in that field. Research, research, research. I cannot stress this enough. RESEARCH.

Either way you will need to get an evaluation of your college credits from Pakistan from any NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) approved organization. WES and EEI have been the most used here. Make sure you get the full course by course breakdown with GPA ($150-$200) as this will cover all your bases and make sure you do not have to get it done again. This will enable the school itself to evaluate your prior college work for transfer into their program.

Proof of english (POE) is normally required also as your education is from a non english speaking country. POE can be in several forms, most common is TOEFL as you just have to take the test if your english is already fairly good. TOEFL requirements vary from school to school. Do not confuse this with university admissions tests as these rarely count as an alternative. The other common way is to take ESL (english as a second language) courses and gain a certificate (or take classes until you are confident of the TOEFL). The other form my school accepts is a letter from your university/high school in your home country stating that the primary language of instruction was English. In pakistan I understand this is quite common.

Once you are a permanent resident you may be eligible for financial aid also (grants, scholarships and Loans) so again dont just go for the cheapest option as there are many ways to fund your education.

Good luck.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Timeline
hie Saran

thanks mnm.

yea i learned these things a few days ago.

but thanks to you for confirming these things.

now i know that i dont have to bother about my degree and education.

yea i have heard that there getting educated is easy as well as comlicated.

but all this information is gonna help other people visiting this forum.

thanks again.

Timeline
hie Saran

I am actually a University admissions advisor in New York and I work for a Private school.

It is going to depend on what you want ultimately. If you want an engineering bachelors degree then you will want to find that program which matches your previous studies the best. The quality of education varies wildly in the US so do your research on the schools you are interested in. If you just want to finish as quick as possible then just find the school that will accept the most transfer credit. This will enable you to get a US bachelors degree faster (trust me, US companies do not value education from outside its own borders even if it is better). Then you can pursue a Masters degree if you choose to.

As for just going to a community college because it is cheaper....well... see my earlier point. "The quality of education varies wildly". Do your research. Some, not many community colleges are fine but most do not offer a great education. You are better off at a private or state school that has a good reputation and a track record for getting its graduates employed. If you want to be an engineer then make sure that the degree you are ultimately awarded is respected in that field. Research, research, research. I cannot stress this enough. RESEARCH.

Either way you will need to get an evaluation of your college credits from Pakistan from any NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) approved organization. WES and EEI have been the most used here. Make sure you get the full course by course breakdown with GPA ($150-$200) as this will cover all your bases and make sure you do not have to get it done again. This will enable the school itself to evaluate your prior college work for transfer into their program.

Proof of english (POE) is normally required also as your education is from a non english speaking country. POE can be in several forms, most common is TOEFL as you just have to take the test if your english is already fairly good. TOEFL requirements vary from school to school. Do not confuse this with university admissions tests as these rarely count as an alternative. The other common way is to take ESL (english as a second language) courses and gain a certificate (or take classes until you are confident of the TOEFL). The other form my school accepts is a letter from your university/high school in your home country stating that the primary language of instruction was English. In pakistan I understand this is quite common.

Once you are a permanent resident you may be eligible for financial aid also (grants, scholarships and Loans) so again dont just go for the cheapest option as there are many ways to fund your education.

Good luck.

that was pretty helpful.especially the one you told that i can have a certificate showing my proficiency in english from my institution.

medium of education in our university is english and i can get a certificate for that easily.

thanks a lot for letting me know that quality is more important than cheapness.

can you suggest me a website that will hepl me find a good community college in VA and also a website that will help me find a college a university or college that is more compatible i mean has the same courses our university so maximum credit hours are transferred.here we hardly need any loan in public university because education is inexpensive but its really hard to get in a university.

yea i know i have to make a compromise between fee and the quality of education i have to get.

thanks

any further suggestions are welcome

Timeline
hie Saran

Good luck.

that was pretty helpful.especially the one you told that i can have a certificate showing my proficiency in english from my institution.

medium of education in our university is english and i can get a certificate for that easily.

can you suggest me a website that will hepl me find a good community college in VA and also a website that will help me find a college a university or college that is more compatible i mean has the same courses our university so maximum credit hours are transferred.here we hardly need any loan in public university because education is inexpensive but its really hard to get in a university.

yea i know i have to make a compromise between fee and the quality of education i have to get.

thanks

http://www.vccs.edu/

This is a link to Virginias 23 community colleges. They have engineering programs.

http://www.uscollegesearch.org/virginia-en...g-colleges.html

This is a link to US college search (you put the state and desired program and it provides a list of alternatives).

Make sure the school has a regional accreditation (national accreditations are not very strong). DO NOT USE University of Phoenix!! DeVry is a good school if you want electronics engineering or computer engineering. Beyond that do your own research into each college.

K-1 Visa Journey

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

My step-daughter brought with her, her transcripts and English translation. She went to the University and they gave her credit for her courses and she was able to get into the University without taking the TOEFL. They gave her credit for all but three courses. She has not been back home to get the course descriptions for those courses.

My wife has a degree. She brought with her the transcripts and English translation. Unfortunately, she does not have the course descriptions. She is going back home in September and will get her course descriptions and have them translated into English. This is something that she has to do in person. She could not get her daughter's course descriptions last year. Once my wife returns, we will send everything off to an accrediting institution used by our state to have her transcript evaluated. Then, she will be able to apply for a state job. She can now apply for a job, but we will wait until after she returns in October and then proceed.

Good luck in your college enrollment.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Timeline
My step-daughter brought with her, her transcripts and English translation. She went to the University and they gave her credit for her courses and she was able to get into the University without taking the TOEFL. They gave her credit for all but three courses. She has not been back home to get the course descriptions for those courses.

My wife has a degree. She brought with her the transcripts and English translation. Unfortunately, she does not have the course descriptions. She is going back home in September and will get her course descriptions and have them translated into English. This is something that she has to do in person. She could not get her daughter's course descriptions last year. Once my wife returns, we will send everything off to an accrediting institution used by our state to have her transcript evaluated. Then, she will be able to apply for a state job. She can now apply for a job, but we will wait until after she returns in October and then proceed.

Good luck in your college enrollment.

Each school varies in their policies on accepting transfer credit. Check with the school you are applying to. To cover your bases I would recommend the NACES for evaluations as they are accepted just about every where.

Some, WES for example, require original documents direct from the original degree granting institution. Others, EEI, do not and will work with the copies you have. If they need to they then ask you for the originals. (needless to say obtaining originals from your home country depends on the country).

Edited by fozzie

K-1 Visa Journey

AOS Journey

Removing Conditions

05/13/2009 - NOA1

Timeline
hie Saran

Good luck.

thanks

This is a link to Virginias 23 community colleges. They have engineering programs.

This is a link to US college search (you put the state and desired program and it provides a list of alternatives).

Make sure the school has a regional accreditation (national accreditations are not very strong). DO NOT USE University of Phoenix!! DeVry is a good school if you want electronics engineering or computer engineering. Beyond that do your own research into each college.

thanks for your special interest.

your help has been very useful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
hie Saran

Good luck.

thanks

thanks for your special interest.

your help has been very useful.

:)Best Of luck Saran,and welcome to US.Hows the weather in Pak?i am guessing it would be really hot in Taxila:).Yep you wont be having any trouble in getting education over here,since our transcripts and evrythng are in english and they teach english very seriously in pak,the only thing you are going to have trouble with is missing your sweet homeland, so dont be depressed about the education right now,enjoy your time in pak and make the most of it as this is the thing you are going to miss alwayss....:)

Takecare

7238.gif

6995.gif

8468.gif

10206.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.