New WorldMan

Does Age Difference really matter?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I read an earlier post from a person who said they feel that their K-3 Was denied because of age difference.

Is this possible? It was my impression that as long as both parties were 18 or older, and could supply all the necessary

documentation needed to get approval, that would get approved. Does Age difference really matter in these cases?

Looking forward to everyones feedback....Thanks

Edited by New WorldMan

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

no. age doesn't matter. a lot of people here got their approval...

Naturalization

01-04-2012 --- N400 sent

01-11-2012 --- Check Cashed

01-10-2012 --- NOA1

02-07-2012 --- Biometrics

02-14-2012 --- Yellow Letter (it says "bring any state issued ID" for interview)

02-24-2012 --- Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02-27-2012 --- Interview Letter sent out

03-02-2012 --- Interview Letter received

04-02-2012 --- INTERVIEW- passed!

05-01-2012 --- Oath scheduled/ Oath Letter Sent

05-16-2012 --- Oath Taking! I am now a USC!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-5

05-17-2012 --- I-130 Sent

05-29-2012 --- NOA1

09-24-2012 --- NOA2

10-11-2012 --- Received Case Number via email

10-12-2012 --- Mailed AOS

10-24-2012 --- Mailed DS-230

11-16-2012 --- Case Complete

11-27-2012 --- Received interview schedule via email

11-05-2012 --- Early Medical day 1

11-06-2012 --- Medical Day 2 -PASSED!

01-03-2013 --- Interview- APRROVED!

01-10-2013 --- VISA Received

01-14-2013 --- POE LAX

(This question probably ranks somewhere in the Top Ten Questions asked on VJ.)

Most of the time, age difference doesn't play a huge role in either approvals or denials. :thumbs:

Did you want to explore your age difference specifically? (If so, give ages.)

Edited by Karin und Otto

Timeline
(This question probably ranks somewhere in the Top Ten Questions asked on VJ.)

Most of the time, age difference doesn't play a huge role in either approvals or denials. :thumbs:

Did you want to explore your age difference specifically? (If so, give ages.)

There is 20 years between me and my wife, I being the older. I don't think it should be a problem, but then again

I'm new to this whole process and dont know all the rules. Thanks

Edited by New WorldMan

Timeline
It will help to prove a bonafide marriage if you are present for her interview.

I thought that it stated in the regulations that I could not be in the country( her country) during the inteview

process, that I had to be in the US? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I thought that it stated in the regulations that I could not be in the country( her country) during the inteview

Nothing of the kind is stated in any regulations. As a US Citizens, the US Government doesn't tell you you can't travel to another country.

I suggest that when you read the guides here or form instructions that you do so slowly and carefully and that you interpret literally. It's going to be critical to your success.

As for age difference, generally it doesn't matter. A significantly older man is a common situation in the PI but an 18 year old with a 50 year old is going to raise some serious questions anywhere. In cultures where men seldom marry older women, a significant age difference can raise serious questions when the woman is older.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

it would be additional factor for them (consuls) f u are with her for the interview. it is not a requirement though.

Naturalization

01-04-2012 --- N400 sent

01-11-2012 --- Check Cashed

01-10-2012 --- NOA1

02-07-2012 --- Biometrics

02-14-2012 --- Yellow Letter (it says "bring any state issued ID" for interview)

02-24-2012 --- Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02-27-2012 --- Interview Letter sent out

03-02-2012 --- Interview Letter received

04-02-2012 --- INTERVIEW- passed!

05-01-2012 --- Oath scheduled/ Oath Letter Sent

05-16-2012 --- Oath Taking! I am now a USC!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-5

05-17-2012 --- I-130 Sent

05-29-2012 --- NOA1

09-24-2012 --- NOA2

10-11-2012 --- Received Case Number via email

10-12-2012 --- Mailed AOS

10-24-2012 --- Mailed DS-230

11-16-2012 --- Case Complete

11-27-2012 --- Received interview schedule via email

11-05-2012 --- Early Medical day 1

11-06-2012 --- Medical Day 2 -PASSED!

01-03-2013 --- Interview- APRROVED!

01-10-2013 --- VISA Received

01-14-2013 --- POE LAX

Timeline

Nothing of the kind is stated in any regulations. As a US Citizens, the US Government doesn't tell you you can't travel to another country.

I suggest that when you read the guides here or form instructions that you do so slowly and carefully and that you interpret literally. It's going to be critical to your success.

As for age difference, generally it doesn't matter. A significantly older man is a common situation in the PI but an 18 year old with a 50 year old is going to raise some serious questions anywhere. In cultures where men seldom marry older women, a significant age difference can raise serious questions when the woman is older.

I read this on the Embassy of the united states in Manila website:

A spouse of a U.S. citizen is considered an immediate relative (IR) and is immediately eligible to apply for an immigrant visa under the IR category. The Filipino spouse must be the beneficiary of an I-130 petition approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition must be filed at the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the petitioner's (American spouse) place of residence. On a case-to-case basis, a U.S. citizen who resides in the Philippines may be allowed to file the I-130 petition at the immigration services office at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. However, the petitioner must be domiciled or residing in the United States at the time the Filipino spouse has a visa interview.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't think so, if it is they pay little attention to it.

Unless the age difference is extreme.

Remember they are more than anything else looking for possible scams, they are looking out for your benefit believe it or not.

Follow as pushbrk says.. And try reading it at this angle:

"On a case-to-case basis, a U.S. citizen who resides in the Philippines may be allowed to file the I-130 petition at the immigration services office at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. However, the petitioner must be domiciled or residing in the United States at the time the Filipino spouse has a visa interview."

:thumbs:

Having said that, i doubt that you will be allowed in during her interview... Altho if your spouse encounter problems, you are near.

.png

Timeline

I read this on the Embassy of the united states in Manila website:

A spouse of a U.S. citizen is considered an immediate relative (IR) and is immediately eligible to apply for an immigrant visa under the IR category. The Filipino spouse must be the beneficiary of an I-130 petition approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition must be filed at the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the petitioner's (American spouse) place of residence. On a case-to-case basis, a U.S. citizen who resides in the Philippines may be allowed to file the I-130 petition at the immigration services office at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. However, the petitioner must be domiciled or residing in the United States at the time the Filipino spouse has a visa interview.

I gave a detailed answer to your PM but notice the word "visit" doesn't appear in the text quoted, nor are the words "be in". "Domiciled" and "reside" have specific meanings that have nothing to do with physical presence. If one needed to be present at their domicile or residence, to qualify as being domiciled or residing, nobody could leave their property.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Do a forum search, you will find this very topic discussed in several different posts. I am 32 years Claudeth's senior, by mental age I should be in jail :P

Edited by jasman0717

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

"On a case-to-case basis, a U.S. citizen who resides in the Philippines may be allowed to file the I-130 petition at the immigration services office at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. However, the petitioner must be domiciled or residing in the United States at the time the Filipino spouse has a visa interview."

Having said that, i doubt that you will be allowed in during her interview... Altho if your spouse encounter problems, you are near.

You will be sitting within talking distance of the interview.

Timeline

You will be sitting within talking distance of the interview.

Careful!! This varies by Consulate. For instance in Guangzhou, the USC can't even get on the same floor of the building as the visa interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.