pd_vriend

Do I need to be officially engaged to start the k-1 visa process?!!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Please help.

Do I need to have a ring on my girlfriend's finger (aka officially engaged) before we start the k-1 visa process? I'm actually hoping to get engaged 5 months from now after i meet her family but we've been looking into the process and were hoping to get a start on it. Please let me know if you know.

Thanks!!

Paul

p.s. i am actually asking this question for a friend who is interested. we're trying to figure this out.

Edited by pd_vriend

Please help.

Do I need to have a ring on my girlfriend's finger (aka officially engaged) before we start the k-1 visa process? I'm actually hoping to get engaged 5 months from now after i meet her family but we've been looking into the process and were hoping to get a start on it. Please let me know if you know.

Thanks!!

Paul

p.s. i am actually asking this question for a friend who is interested. we're trying to figure this out.

Depends on how you define "officially engaged", I suppose... The ring is completely unnecessary, but you'd be sending two letters of intent when you file an I-129f.. That letter of intent, in my book, would count you as officially engaged...

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

USCIS doesn't care. If you submit the forms, including the form that states you will marry within 90 days of entering the US on the K1 and they decide you arent using the visa for immigration fraud, then that's all they care about.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It is issued with the intent you marry, somewhere along the line they might ask when u decided to marry, say how long after meeting did u become engaged etc so personally i would feel anytime after u have met HER you could consider saying engaged, no other proof would be required then for the forms

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

What you need is....

B. Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e)whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent;

If you can provide the two letters, you are "engaged" for immigration purposes.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
What you need is....

B. Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e)whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his or her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent;

OMG! Now I'm even more stressed!

I do like this site and it provides SO MUCH information, but I found this site well after the fact and now I find there are so many things we missed!.

- We have already had one RFE, and I didnt include the letter stating we were engaged and plan to marry, and I'm pretty sure my fiance didnt either. Have they ever sent TWO RFE's? or will they just deny it outright ?

I cant believe this whole process is so stressful and the fact that the government sites say include form A. thats it. when in actuallity what they want is form A-Z PLUS forms 1-5. Then they hold it against you for not supplying them the information they want.

- Ok, now that I have ranted on, back to the topic at hand. If we dont get denied right away, it will be ok to bring the letters of intent to marry to the interview right?

Please tell me Im over reacting :crying:

eNVl.gif R8nu.gif KHYe.gif 2Gxj.gif QAfc.gif vIpQ.gif yjoB.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
What you need is....

I do like this site and it provides SO MUCH information, but I found this site well after the fact and now I find there are so many things we missed!.

- We have already had one RFE, and I didnt include the letter stating we were engaged and plan to marry, and I'm pretty sure my fiance didnt either. Have they ever sent TWO RFE's? or will they just deny it outright ?

I cant believe this whole process is so stressful and the fact that the government sites say include form A. thats it. when in actuallity what they want is form A-Z PLUS forms 1-5. Then they hold it against you for not supplying them the information they want.

- Ok, now that I have ranted on, back to the topic at hand. If we dont get denied right away, it will be ok to bring the letters of intent to marry to the interview right?

if you study the k-1 process better it would be less stressful... Good luck!!

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

What you need is....

They would send you another RFE for further information, if it is required. Dont worry you aren't over reacting, this process is stressful.

Comply with the RFE sent to you and submit the information that they have requested immediately. Do read the guides, they are helpful and will help with the next part of the process. But more importantly read ANY guidance given to you on the forms. And as puskbrk would say "interpret literally" :blink:

They wont outright deny you for not sending in information, but if you dot submit the information required you will continue to get RFE's and this will slow up the process.

Scout around, there is a wealth of information on this site. And breath!!!!.....:)

Edited by Ellie-and-David

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Timeline
They would send you another RFE for further information, if it is required. Dont worry you aren't over reacting, this process is stressful.

Comply with the RFE sent to you and submit the information that they have requested immediately. Do read the guides, they are helpful and will help with the next part of the process. But more importantly read ANY guidance given to you on the forms. And as puskbrk would say "interpret literally" :blink:

They wont outright deny you for not sending in information, but if you dot submit the information required you will continue to get RFE's and this will slow up the process.

Scout around, there is a wealth of information on this site. And breath!!!!.....:)

Thank you :star:

eNVl.gif R8nu.gif KHYe.gif 2Gxj.gif QAfc.gif vIpQ.gif yjoB.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
What you need is....

IF there is an interview. Letters of intent are part of the petition package you have submitted. You and your fiance are expected to write these letters to each other and sign them.

Dont stress just go through the guides and check everything, if there is anything you omitted get it ready incase you get an RFE for it, they will not deny you for not getting the forms right, as others have said all it will do is to slow up the process

Dont stress about the ring I have been engaged for almost a year and I dont have an engagement ring, the point is that you have decided to get married and a ring does not make it official saying yes to a proposal does

Your very welcome. Dont be afraid to look for the answers to your questions on other peoples threads by using the search option or start another thread requesting assistance. They are a helpful bunch around here :)

Best of luck with everything.

Oh....and FYI, my SO didn't do the one knee thing. I dont have a ring, and it went something like this.

Him "Ellie i love you. Your alright ya know!"

Me "That's nice darling and um, flattering I guess......for an understated declaration of love"

Him "Do you want to do this forever?"

Me "What? Lie around eating potato chips whilst you cook dinner?"

Him "Yeah"

Me "Sure, i have nothing better to do with my life"

And some may say romance is dead......... :wacko::)

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Your very welcome. Dont be afraid to look for the answers to your questions on other peoples threads by using the search option or start another thread requesting assistance. They are a helpful bunch around here :)

Oh....and FYI, my SO didn't do the one knee thing. I dont have a ring, and it went something like this.

Me "That's nice darling and um, flattering I guess......for an understated declaration of love"

Him "Yeah"

LOL :rofl:

Oh yah to the original poster get those letter ready as they need to have original signatures so you need to get from you fiance and sometimes it take a while to get them together and in your hands don't wait for the RFE which will probably come as it is a requirement in the instructions of the I-129F

Good Luck

Edited by thepizzadude

Mailed n-400 : 4-3-14

USCIS Received : 4-4-14

NOA1 Sent : 4-8-14

Biometrics Appt Letter Sent : 4-14-14

Biometrics Appt : 5-5-14

usaflag.gifphilippinesflag.gif

Poverty Guidelines : http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
VisaJourney Guides : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides
K1 Flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow
K1/K3 AOS Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos
ROC Guide : http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

DSC04023-1.jpg0906091800.jpg93dc3e19-1345-4995-9126-121c2d709290.jpg

Him "Yeah"

LOL Do you right comedy for a living? If not...I'd think that's your calling!!

Edited by TimandJoyce

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.